• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Usefulness of C1E/Speedstep/EIST when using a static/specified Vcore?

Vittra

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
909
The subject title may be a misleading, but I'm unsure of how to properly phrase it so here we go:

On my I7 2600K, and I imagine most CPUs using C1E/Speedstep/EIST, when using Vcore set to "Auto" the CPU will undervolt the CPU to fairly low voltage levels when the CPU is not in use or is being used lightly, to correspond to the fact that the CPU multi is also reduced (in the case of the 2600K to x16, or 1.6ghz).

However, when setting the Vcore to a specific value the voltage will no longer downclock along with the multipliyer, and stays at the value you have specified. At least this is my experience with the P67A-UD7, and I haven't seen any options to control otherwise.

I'm curious if there is much of a purpose to even use the powersaving features at this point if the voltage will remain at higher levels at all times? Would I be better off just disabling them?
 
I'm confused about this. I have mine set to 1.35V in bios and cpu-Z reads a constant 1.35V . However, core temp and Real Temp both read the VID as decreasing when not under load. So maybe it is decreasing, idk.
 
Power use is a function of both frequency and voltage, so yes, there is a benefit to using the power saving features even with a static voltage - although not as much.
 
I'm curious if there is much of a purpose to even use the powersaving features at this point if the voltage will remain at higher levels at all times? Would I be better off just disabling them?

I'm also curious about this. Especially how it will effect longevity.

I'm confused about this. I have mine set to 1.35V in bios and cpu-Z reads a constant 1.35V . However, core temp and Real Temp both read the VID as decreasing when not under load. So maybe it is decreasing, idk.

VID is not the same as vcore. Your CPU has a unique VID for each multiplier that was set during manufacturing. It's basically a guideline for the amount of voltage required to ensure stable operation. See the following for more details: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/665362-vid-voltage-identification-explained.html.
 
The subject title may be a misleading, but I'm unsure of how to properly phrase it so here we go:

On my I7 2600K, and I imagine most CPUs using C1E/Speedstep/EIST, when using Vcore set to "Auto" the CPU will undervolt the CPU to fairly low voltage levels when the CPU is not in use or is being used lightly, to correspond to the fact that the CPU multi is also reduced (in the case of the 2600K to x16, or 1.6ghz).

However, when setting the Vcore to a specific value the voltage will no longer downclock along with the multipliyer, and stays at the value you have specified. At least this is my experience with the P67A-UD7, and I haven't seen any options to control otherwise.

I'm curious if there is much of a purpose to even use the powersaving features at this point if the voltage will remain at higher levels at all times? Would I be better off just disabling them?

I think this is motherboard BIOS related, I have a MSI GD65 with 2500k and I have exactly the same issues as you with voltage not going down in idle. This is depite EIST, C1E, C-State all enabled.
 
It would be nice if there were an option to have manually set voltages apply only to the turbo multiplier.
 
I wish there was a dummy guide to using off-set mode. I've played with it a bit but getting lockups.

I'm finally getting my system prime 95 stable which I like. Im thinking offset mode will allow me to dial in my vcore to a lower amount lowering my temps and bring about additional stability.
 
Appreciate all the replies and info, folks.

Looking like Gigabyte's version of "Offset" is "DVID" or Dynamic VID.
 
Back
Top