Used 7970 cards have come way down in price :-)

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I have been watching 7970 prices for the past month or so and just bit on a second one for $134 shipped off of Ebay.

A few months ago, the cheapest ones were over 2x that price. Looks like the miners are dumping all their cards for the most part.

Absolutely I grabbed one last month from a old miner, so no shipping and hometown discount I got it for $120 which is ridiculous. $150 right now seems to be the median average. Probably will get a second since they're so damn cheap

Damn, I need something to replace my dying 6950s. I didnt want to get a 280x now and then the 285 come out being the better card for a better price.

My xspc performance 6970 waterblocks won't for on the 7970 Will they?

Last edited:
Just picked up a few for $70 a piece.
They're practically new too, since the guy who sold them to me was mining with them WCed :)

Yea...buying a GPU that was run at 100% load for months and usually run on air cooling during that load....Call me a chicken but I ain't going to bet money on that card lasting long enough to make $100 worth me while.

I bought a mining 7950 for $119 shipped and it has ran fine and here is my take on what is see happen..

I don't see Nvidia or AMD really doing a lot with whats coming,, sure your going get the guys that just have to have it but the performance bar to meet or match is HD7990 as the bitcion craze set the bar for pricing and on the down fall it also set the performance level because of the flood of used hardware on ebay where you can buy a pretty new looking HD 7950 for $115 and two of them is HD7990 performance at $230 ..

We can debate single vs CX all day but I have seen them run first hand and it's better now then most think as I can't tell the different in BF 4 between a single R9-290 and CX 7950 other then fps as frame pacing made a huge different and CX 7950 is fast. This is IMO

why are they coming down in price? What happened?

Ive been out of the loop

7970s were released in January 2012. It's August 2014. I sure as hell hope they're cheap now.

Yep, been keeping an eye on 7950's, which should hold me over for awhile.

7970s were released in January 2012. It's August 2014. I sure as hell hope they're cheap now.

Released at $500 though and the comparable nvidia is still closer to $200. In terms of value there isn't anything out there against the used 79xx now

The major reason they have come down in price is due to the mining craze that has all but fizzled out now. People bough cards ranging from 5830-290x in hipes of making large amounts of money mining and now they are all getting dumped on ebay so there is a large supply and not a huge demand. Although many dislike cards that have been mined with I think they can be excellent gaming cards considering how cheap they can get.

Cards have really held their value much better than they used to the last few years, its mining that oversaturated the market and has pushed the prices down.

why are they coming down in price? What happened?

Ive been out of the loop

Bitcoin mining went industrial. "The mining operation resides on an old, repurposed factory floor, and contains 2500 machines hashing away at 230 Gh/s, each." That's just one Chinese operation that is doing the equivalent of about 860,000 7970s of mining, and there are many like it in many countries around the world now.

Two well running 7950's (used) are very fast in CX and offer HALO single gpu card performance for around $230.. yes you can have Titan/780Ti/290x performance at that low cost.

Scored a second 290 stock blower for $250, now running 290 CF on 1440 for about $540 lol <3

Bitcoin mining went industrial. "The mining operation resides on an old, repurposed factory floor, and contains 2500 machines hashing away at 230 Gh/s, each." That's just one Chinese operation that is doing the equivalent of about 860,000 7970s of mining, and there are many like it in many countries around the world now.

Good thing there are just tons of ways to convert those buttcoins to actual money. Amirite?

Hopefully by Christmas 290x's will be below $200 so I can pickup another one and a nice 4k display. * fingers crossed! *

They've been dumping them for a while. A cursory glance tells me prices are just a little lower than they were a month ago.

I'd pick up a second one but I don't think it's really needed for my setup. Really hoping new cards show some impressive performance so I can upgrade, I've been fighting the itch for a while now.

The one thing I like about the cheap CX7950's is the level of performance they offer without overclocking .. they look like the 7990 at $230

Hopefully by Christmas 290x's will be below $200 so I can pickup another one and a nice 4k display. * fingers crossed! *

While I hope you're right I doubt it. The market seems to have settled and as others have noted there has been minimal price drop difference between this week and say two months ago. A higher end card like the 290X is sure to move down some as the months tick away. But based on the last four months its hard to see the next four months bringing used 290X prices below $200. Maybe the vanilla 290 but the X I'd venture a guess you'll be thankful to see at $250 perhaps more. Still a deal

Back