Used 1080ti or RTX 2070?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, I am building a mATX build and I can't decide what to do. I am mainly going to be gaming at 1440p and maybe 4k but since I have been out of the loop for a while I am just now seeing after some research that the RTX cards have some quality control issues.

However, even if there are none and it's safe would any of you buy a used 1080ti for say around $575 over a brand new RTX 2070? I had a 1080ti last year before I sold everything and it was a beast of a card... it could play anything I threw at it maxed-out at 4K.

Just unsure what to do.

Between the two, I'd get a used 1080 Ti and target 1440P. The 2070 has some sorta-neat bells and whistles, but it's quite a bit slower than a 1080 Ti, and you can't use those bells and whistles outside of two or three games, currently.

My experience attempting to play games at 4K was very different from yours. If "everything maxed out" is how you prefer to play, I wouldn't go any higher than 1440P.

Between the two, I'd get a used 1080 Ti and target 1440P. The 2070 has some sorta-neat bells and whistles, but it's quite a bit slower than a 1080 Ti, and you can't use those bells and whistles outside of two or three games, currently.

My experience attempting to play games at 4K was very different from yours. If "everything maxed out" is how you prefer to play, I wouldn't go any higher than 1440P.

Would you happen to know the issue with "Mined" video cards? There is a guy on Reddit who is selling a bunch of 1080tis for around $579 for the EVGA FTW3 ones and he said they've been used a year or so but all have been tested and work. I have no idea what mining does to the life of a videocard but they're still under warranty and tested to work it should be fine right?

Speaking as an ex-miner myself, I would venture it's not really any worse than a card that got used for gaming. The fans wearing out can be an issue, but this is more of a "they were bad to begin with and the mining use just made it obvious" kind of thing.

It's not the fact that they were used for mining that would bug me, it's that they're used 1080 Tis and you're still paying almost $600 for them. That seems high to me, although I guess it's the going rate.

Back