USB with SPDIF Coaxial

Redleader

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
2,753
Im looking for a USB sound card with a coaxial hookup for my stereo system. Ive found some with optical but I need coaxial. Are there any out there?
 
are you tied to USB cause a lot of normal soundcards have a jack for spdif. You just need a mono to rca adapter from Radioshack. The X-Fi has a flexijack that can be used this way. I you have to use USB then there are optical to coax digital converters you can get from monoprice I believe for pretty cheap.
 
Well it will be for a laptop. Im thinking of getting a laptop that can run as my htpc so I can move my main rig into another room and so thats my only option right?
 
Well it will be for a laptop. Im thinking of getting a laptop that can run as my htpc so I can move my main rig into another room and so thats my only option right?

yeah.. that limits your choices. All pcmcia and expresscard soundcards I've delt with had optical outs. (unless you go high end with a Emu 1616 for example)

here is the adapter I was talking about...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

I use a midiman co2 to do the same thing..
 
AFAIK, you're only options are to get the USB soundcard of you're choice, and if it comes with only optical S/PDIF, get the adapter magnetik linked to.
 
Now will that converter lower quality at all? I know its digital but still have to ask.
 
Now will that converter lower quality at all? I know its digital but still have to ask.

nah exactly the same.. it's all 1's and 0's. there might be a nano second delay for conversion but that doesn't matter.
 
Back
Top