USB or SD better for ReadyBoost?

DrNic2032

Weaksauce
I've been wanting to try out ReadyBoost on my Vista machine for a while now. Whenever I try to use the USB sticks or SD cards I have hanging around however I end up getting error messages that they aren't going to work.

Which type of memory is better for use with ReadyBoost? What brand should I buy to get top performance?

From the different tests I've seen done with Readyboost, it only has some real effectiveness on machines with 1 gig of RAM or less. Once you reach the 2 gig of RAM mark it's practically useless. I want to say the tests Anandtech did long ago actually showed Readyboost would have a negative effect on systems with 4+ gig of RAM.

As for the specific question the OP made, the interface used won't make a bit of difference. Normally people will use USB sticks because they are more convenient as you generally have more USB ports than you have memory card slots. Readyboost also requires that the flash media used be at least a certain speed and size or it will hurt performance rather than help it.

Back