USB Beverage Chiller - CoolIt Systems - Possible to mod?

loft

Limp Gawd
So I've been randomly using this chilling plate from CoolIt and was wondering if it's possible to mod this to lower the temps even more? I don't know anything about the TEC in it... but this is all I can use at work aside from your typical ice pack which is retarded.

Mini fridges aren't allowed... or I'd just do that, lol.

Considering that you're limited to something like 5W per USB port, you won't get much. Plus, doesn't it only touch the rim of the bottom? There's not much contact area there...

Depends on what I'm drinking, tbh. But yeah... I think it currently only requires 1.2a/5w to make it run.

Sigh.

mod it to use multiple ports for more power?

I was thinking of doing that, but I don't know if it has anything to regulate the voltage. Probably not, though... as it's a cheap little gadget.

Are there any two female to one male usb cables? Looking for the cheapest way to experiment. (I could search but at work, stupid proxy/filter)

One way to get the drink colder would be to improve the efficiency. . . something like attaching a neoprene sleeve to insulate the sides while the plate cools the bottom might be enough.

One way to get the drink colder would be to improve the efficiency. . . something like attaching a neoprene sleeve to insulate the sides while the plate cools the bottom might be enough.

This is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. On average, my chiller gets to about 45ºF which is what it's supposed to do; I just want to bring it to around 38ºF if possible.

I'll attempt the neoprene sleeve before attempting to start a fire with my chiller.

Just have to wait and see, I guess.

I actually made my own :

b19.jpg

-------

Water cooled 226 watt peltier .....

It'll turn a beer into a foam nightmare in under 2 mins...

Stupid convection.

:p

I actually made my own :

[img...snip]

-------

Water cooled 226 watt peltier .....

It'll turn a beer into a foam nightmare in under 2 mins...

Stupid convection.

:p

I haven't the slightest on how to make my own :(

That's just crazy. Kudos with that. I've got an 85 watt TEC in my garage somewhere, you're giving me ideas that involve a PSU, some extra wire and soldier, and a ceramic block.

That's just crazy. Kudos with that. I've got an 85 watt TEC in my garage somewhere, you're giving me ideas that involve a PSU, some extra wire and soldier, and a ceramic block.

Where would one go about picking up a TEC?

Hehe thx...

Doesnt work tho....

Here's the problem : Due to the fact that it's the bottom of the can being cooled , the liquid inside doesnt mix as is cools , so it just freezes on the bottom , and then fooosh, foam volcano......

What needs to happen is to cool the can from the top.This will allow convection to mix the liquid as it cools.......

----------

I bought my pelts from Frozen CPU

:D

Bumping my old thread... do any of you know of a Firewire beverage cooler?

Wow. I've seen these but didn't think they actually work. The only way i know to cool something involves a pump or a compressor. I'm not sure if the USB can handle that kind of load. What's the principle behind it?

Back