USB 3.2 Specification Will Double Data Rates Using Existing Cables

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has announced USB 3.2, which will offer improved data rates via multi-lane operation. USB Type-C cables already support multi-lane operation, and with USB 3.2, hosts and devices can be created as multi-lane solutions, allowing for either two lanes of 5Gb/s or two lanes of 10Gb/s operation. With support for two lanes of 10Gb/s transfer speeds, performance is essentially doubled over existing USB-C cables.

New USB 3.2 hosts and devices can now be designed as multi-lane solutions, allowing for up to two lanes of 5 Gbps or two lanes of 10 Gbps operation. This enables platform developers to continue advancing USB products to fit their customers’ needs by effectively doubling the performance across existing cables. For example, a USB 3.2 host connected to a USB 3.2 storage device will now be capable of realizing over 2 GB/sec data transfer performance over an existing USB Type-C cable that is certified for SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps.

Not seeing any real benefit here for me. Army restricts USB to mice and keyboards for the most part, no USB storage, no thumb drives. Thank You Ed Snowden, Thank You Manning, whatever the fuck you are.

Not seeing any real benefit here for me. Army restricts USB to mice and keyboards for the most part, no USB storage, no thumb drives. Thank You Ed Snowden, Thank You Manning, whatever the fuck you are.

We started restricting writing to USB storage long before these guys. It's a no brainer in any business dealing with sensitive/personal data.

Meh. I don't care.

I want more wattage. My Nexus 5X drinks power faster than the wall charger can keep up.

Meh. I don't care.

I want more wattage. My Nexus 5X drinks power faster than the wall charger can keep up.

Get better USB cables:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5457&seq=1&format=2

and if it's not at least a 2 Amp USB charger then get one that is as most actually aren't when they say "2A" on the charger's fine print, they're more typically 1.5-1.8A and if that's the case then get a better one. Samsung 2A chargers can output 2 solid amps, LG can also, and Motorola and BlackBerry too and Apple 2A+ chargers, but most every other brand of charger I've used no matter whose name is printed or stamped on it does not actually meet the output level for amperage as printed on the charger body.

But a good thicker gauge USB cable like those from Monoprice, those are absolutely awesome, a crazy low price, solid cabling that is tough and will last for a long long time. I bought 3 of those about 2 years ago, they allow full speed charging at the rates the chargers I use are capable of and get it done. A great thicker gauge USB cable can make all the difference in charging performance.

Thats nothing, HDMI can do ethernet.....ETHERNET....over a cable. And while I personally have never seen a device that uses this feature, I'm sure there are 10's...100's of thousands of people having their lives improved everyday by ethernet over HDMI.

Now if we would only see Type-C connectors on more computers other than Mac's.

The Dell laptops I've been buying for work this year all have USB C, just like the motherboard on the computer I built for home months ago.

If only iBots paid attention to non-Mac systems.

Does that mean we can do 10GBps networking over USB hubs now? I hate spending a small fortune on a 24port 10GB switch+cards.

Now if 10GB Ethernet switches would come down to a reasonable price, that would be news.

We started restricting writing to USB storage long before these guys. It's a no brainer in any business dealing with sensitive/personal data.

But it's also damned useful when dealing with networks of different classifications that have no shared connections. Unclass, Secret, Top Secret, now patch them :unsure:

Remember the first XBox and those connectors for their controllers that really were just re-engineered USB ports?

I was telling people over even back then that that was exactly what the Army should do. Re-engineer the USB ports so common USB wasn't compatible, but keep the technology usable..... deaf ears.

Get better USB cables:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5457&seq=1&format=2

and if it's not at least a 2 Amp USB charger then get one that is as most actually aren't when they say "2A" on the charger's fine print, they're more typically 1.5-1.8A and if that's the case then get a better one. Samsung 2A chargers can output 2 solid amps, LG can also, and Motorola and BlackBerry too and Apple 2A+ chargers, but most every other brand of charger I've used no matter whose name is printed or stamped on it does not actually meet the output level for amperage as printed on the charger body.

But a good thicker gauge USB cable like those from Monoprice, those are absolutely awesome, a crazy low price, solid cabling that is tough and will last for a long long time. I bought 3 of those about 2 years ago, they allow full speed charging at the rates the chargers I use are capable of and get it done. A great thicker gauge USB cable can make all the difference in charging performance.

This. And make sure the charger you get is Quick Charge 3.0 compatible. It will be able to charge almost any device at maximum speed. When used with a quality cable you will often see better results.

Get better USB cables:

But but but .... that's not really how it works right?

I mean, the charger isn't really outputting anything and 2A doesn't mean it's pushing out 2A or a weaker one is only pushing out 1.8 amps, because power isn't output or "pushed", power is "drawn".

A 2 amp charger allows your device to draw 2 amps and whatever the voltage rating is, without burning up. If the charger is "weaker", what's happening is, as the device is pulling that 2 amps, the charger starts getting warm, and as it gets warmer, it starts building more resistance to the current being drawn and so less power comes across. If this gets severe, the cables or charger can get hot enough to burn up. That's how electrical fires start. Too much current being drawn, too much resistance for the wires or the receptacles. Too much is bad.

So you aren't really wrong and I'm not picking on you. But I find it helpful to remember that it doesn't really work the way we sometimes describe it and I am including myself in the "we" (y)

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for the simplistic refresher course on Ohm's Law and basic electronics theory with respect to power production and consumption in modern mobile devices aka "Voltage is pushed, current is pulled." :D

I've got a box of chargers here and I have tested them for their rated output (that's a max rating, as we all understand or at least some of us do) and of the 17 or so chargers I have, 13 of them are "rated" at 2A output, 3 of them are "rated" for 2.1A output, and one is "rated" for 2.5A output. Of those ratings, there are only 5 of those 13 that actually output their "rated" max amperage when tested: a Samsung 2A charger, an LG 2A charger, an Apple 2.1A charger, a Motorola 2A charger, and the BlackBerry 2.5A charger.

The other 14 are not capable of producing what they claim is the max rated amperage on the label info printed/stamped on them, and three of those are Motorola chargers even (only one of them produced the rated output as already mentioned). So, a few are labeled as Samsung 2A, two are Apple 2A chargers, 2 are LG 2A chargers, I also have 2 LG 1.8A chargers and then a mix of lower rated output models from various other makers. I just got an Alcatel branded 2A "rated" output charger the other day, tested it this morning and it struggles - and by that I mean it heats up something terrible - just providing a max amperage of about 1.5-1.6A so, again, not what it's claiming on the label.

So, what's next on the lesson plan, sir? :D

Later that same day, well no actually it was like 6 minutes or so...

I went to make a sandwich after making the post content above and as I was dropping some lunchmeat on the bread I came to the sudden realization that "he'll probably come back with 'but QuickCharge capable chargers can output more with a QuickCharge compatible device...'" and so...

For the record: none of the 17 chargers I tested are QuickCharge compatible, not a single one of them. I do own one QuickCharge 1.0 compatible charger, a Motorola "Turbo" 25W charger that can of course provide more amperage if needed but it's more voltage that really kicks in with QuickCharge hardware.

I don't use QuickCharging on my devices if they support it (currently just one device that is QC1.0 compatible), at least not yet because I still believe it damages the cells more because of heat production. I know quick charging tech is improving all the time and maybe someday I'll give a shit about actually using it even though I personally am never in that much of a hurry.

Ok, now it's time to eat so... carry on. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't one of the struggles of USB that it can't write / read data efficiently at the same time.
I remember posts about interest of an OS on a stick and this often was mentioned.
Doesn't this more or less alleviate that issue?

My z170 board came with a usb-c port in the back.
How many type-c ports did you get, one? That's the problem you only get one, even now, just one. Seeing that they're so small you should get a dozen of them, but it doesn't look like there's enough bandwidth for them.

This is only the case if the devices themselves have QC3 circuitry in them. ICs need to negotiate with the transformer for the safe power spec that can be served, this is voltage and amperage. Otherwise QC3 is useless for devices that don't have support for it.

This. And make sure the charger you get is Quick Charge 3.0 compatible. It will be able to charge almost any device at maximum speed. When used with a quality cable you will often see better results.

As long as Asmedia does not make it, it will work great... hopefully. All you need is a 3.1 addon card. Why not use a 3.2 addon also. Do not need to buy a new board for it. Having enough bandwidth for it is another problem.

How many type-c ports did you get, one? That's the problem you only get one, even now, just one. Seeing that they're so small you should get a dozen of them, but it doesn't look like there's enough bandwidth for them.
Main limitation with current USB3.1 A and C ports is the storage medium read/write speeds and not the bus or the USB3.1 interface so this is a non-problem you're talking about.

And yes that means that USB3.2 won't be very useful for most either.

Realistically if you want more USB3.1/2 C ports just get a add in card. They'll work. Even on older PC's just fine. Slots are there for a reason after all.

This is great! I assume the increased USB speed will be part of the next Windows 10 update?

:)

Not interested in personal attacks, but their actions and sacrifices proved to be way more patriotic than what many has been willing to go thru for this country.

How many on the board was not your concern was it? I responded to you saying only apple has usb-c. Since i proved you wrong you moved the goal posts to try to make yourself right.

I kinda wish we saw bigger movement to USB-C. Especially with keyboards having removable cables now, seeing USB-C as an option would be nice, and then mobo companies would offer several ports.

Also, USB as an entity is really bad at all of this. "USB 3.1" has little meaning, there's USB 3.1, and then, the new version was called, get ready for this, USB SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps, or, for short USB 3.1 Gen 2. Because that rolls off the tongue and is so much easier to remember than, say, USB 3.2, or USB 4, or just about anything else.

This is what happens sometimes when you don't have a marketing department.

So now we have USB 3.2, which will be able to use USB 3.1 Type-C cables.

This is only the case if the devices themselves have QC3 circuitry in them. ICs need to negotiate with the transformer for the safe power spec that can be served, this is voltage and amperage. Otherwise QC3 is useless for devices that don't have support for it.

You are only partially correct. To do a true QC "fast charge" both devices need to be compliant. However a QC2/QC3 charger will be able to provide the maximum amperage at the proper voltage for almost any device. I can even charge my Microsoft Surface 3 with my QC3 wall charger because it supports the proper specs.

So what I said was completely accurate. I never claimed it would charge anything at QC3 speed, but charge them at its maximum speed. Also, for everyone's info try charging a QC2/3 phone on a multi port QC charger that has a QC port and a non QC port. What you'll see is the QC port charges your phone in "fast charge mode" and the non charges in normal mode. However in my experience when the phone estimates the time to full charge the difference will be like 5 minutes, even when the phone is low.

Not interested in personal attacks, but their actions and sacrifices proved to be way more patrioticidiotic and traitorous than what many has been willing to go thru for this countrypersonal delusions.

There, ftfy without a personal attack.

Uh one example where it fails is with a phone that is DASH compliant. Yeah, QC3 isn't the silver bullet you claim it to be dude.

You are only partially correct. To do a true QC "fast charge" both devices need to be compliant. However a QC2/QC3 charger will be able to provide the maximum amperage at the proper voltage for almost any device. I can even charge my Microsoft Surface 3 with my QC3 wall charger because it supports the proper specs.

So what I said was completely accurate. I never claimed it would charge anything at QC3 speed, but charge them at its maximum speed. Also, for everyone's info try charging a QC2/3 phone on a multi port QC charger that has a QC port and a non QC port. What you'll see is the QC port charges your phone in "fast charge mode" and the non charges in normal mode. However in my experience when the phone estimates the time to full charge the difference will be like 5 minutes, even when the phone is low.

Uh one example where it fails is with a phone that is DASH compliant. Yeah, QC3 isn't the silver bullet you claim it to be dude.

OP doesn't have a OnePlus phone and neither do most people, but still, grats on finding the odd man out exception. You win todays Internet points.

Fact is Samsung, LG, and HTC have literally sold millions upon millions of QC phones and a QC charger will provide a much faster charge than most generic chargers to most non QC phones, which was my point all along and you've done nothing to really disprove. They even do a fair job of charging Apple products and if memory serves correctly they've managed to sell one or two of those....

comscore-smartphone-market-share-january-2017-720x720.jpg

So yeah, having a QC charger isn't a bad idea. Is it a silver bullet? I never claimed that, but I did say its a good solution and that is true. Not sure why you're so riled up over this anyways.

But it's also damned useful when dealing with networks of different classifications that have no shared connections. Unclass, Secret, Top Secret, now patch them :unsure:

Remember the first XBox and those connectors for their controllers that really were just re-engineered USB ports?

I was telling people over even back then that that was exactly what the Army should do. Re-engineer the USB ports so common USB wasn't compatible, but keep the technology usable..... deaf ears.

This wouldn't work. For one, you have the cost of the re-engineering effort (includes both the physical connector and necessary software). Then you have to contract out production of special motherboards (across multiple chipsets) with the physical ports. Then you have to contract out various companies to actually make accessories that make use of said ports, but since these will be VERY low sales you'll probably have to pay double what you would for standard USB in order to make those companies go along with production.

So yeah, the economics don't really make sense.

I work in a secure environment; no USB has been standard for well over a decade now. It's either closed CD (verified by our security department), or in the worst case a Floppy disk (though we need to destroy it the minute we're done with it, so this obviously gets fairly expensive quickly).

When I saw that USB 3.1 uses 2 lanes at 5Gbps, it was pretty clear that they had future growth to bump-up to the speeds, of Thunderbolt.

That said, I just realized something that most external Thunderbolt 3 dock lovers would rather not talk about: The available bandwidth from 4x TB3 on 4x PCIe is 32Gbps bidirectional, or 64Gbps if you use both receive and transmit fully.

But USB-C is limited to FOUR configurable 10Gbps pairs. This means a maximum bandwidth of 20Gbps, if you split things down-the-middle.

This can make for highly-variable results, depending on how much upstream channel each game requires, and whether or not you want to pump frames back to your laptop's on-board screen.

Too many people to quote.

This is an LG charger, with the LG cable. They came with the phone. The charger is 5v 3.0A, according to it's label btw.

This wouldn't work. For one, you have the cost of the re-engineering effort (includes both the physical connector and necessary software). Then you have to contract out production of special motherboards (across multiple chipsets) with the physical ports. Then you have to contract out various companies to actually make accessories that make use of said ports, but since these will be VERY low sales you'll probably have to pay double what you would for standard USB in order to make those companies go along with production.

So yeah, the economics don't really make sense.

I work in a secure environment; no USB has been standard for well over a decade now. It's either closed CD (verified by our security department), or in the worst case a Floppy disk (though we need to destroy it the minute we're done with it, so this obviously gets fairly expensive quickly).

You don't need special motherboards, you just need an attachment that is regular USB on one end and funky proprietary USB on the other, that attaches to the back of the case and stays. Then you make the mated attachment that the USB cable plugs into and then the housing locks around the cable to stay in place.

And you are thinking it won't work because of costs? For the DoD?

We have no floppys, CDs are too small, we do use some DVDs, but since keeping a WSUS server fed with windows updates doesn't work well with DVDs we are killing hard drives for one-time usage. You think floppies are expensive, kill a 3.5" hard drive once a week just to keep your WSUS server fed.

That said, I just realized something that most external Thunderbolt 3 dock lovers would rather not talk about: The available bandwidth from 4x TB3 on 4x PCIe is 32Gbps bidirectional, or 64Gbps if you use both receive and transmit fully.

But USB-C is limited to FOUR configurable 10Gbps pairs. This means a maximum bandwidth of 20Gbps, if you split things down-the-middle.

And most people will complain that Thunderbolt/USB C doesn't seem any faster than their old USB ports when they plug in a thumb drive.

Back