USB 3.2 Gen 2*2 with Meta 3 Link cable

paul1960

n00b
Can a Meta quest 3 usb 3.2 Gen 2 link cable pass 20 GB data to the Meta 3 if it is connected via adapter to a usb3.2 Gen 2*2 port. and can the meta 3 handle the 20 GB data? I'm thinking the cable can't handle it which would be why I'm not finding the adapter, it was a long shot Gen 2*2 has 12 wires and the Gen 2 only has 8 wires. Wonder if they are working on a new cable?

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd want that. Airlink bandwidth is constrained by the Q3's video decoding hardware, and I'm pretty sure the flash can't shift data fast enough to saturate OG USB3.

Can a Meta quest 3 usb 3.2 Gen 2 link cable pass 20 GB data to the Meta 3 if it is connected via adapter to a usb3.2 Gen 2*2 port. and can the meta 3 handle the 20 GB data? I'm thinking the cable can't handle it which would be why I'm not finding the adapter, it was a long shot Gen 2*2 has 12 wires and the Gen 2 only has 8 wires. Wonder if they are working on a new cable?

Why would you want this and why would they replace the cable? A 5Gbps cable is more than enough for the Quest 3. As Xeninex said above, the bottleneck is the decoder which has a limit of around 960Mbps if you are using H.264. Much less if you are using Hevc or AV1.

Why would you want this and why would they replace the cable? A 5Gbps cable is more than enough for the Quest 3. As Xeninex said above, the bottleneck is the decoder which has a limit of around 960Mbps if you are using H.264. Much less if you are using Hevc or AV1.

We want to do it in order to midigate compression artifacts.

Please explain, in your own words, how replacing a 5Gbps cable with a 10Gbps cable is going to mitigate compression artifacts on the Quest 3.

Please explain, in your own words, how replacing a 5Gbps cable with a 10Gbps cable is going to mitigate compression artifacts on the Quest 3.

Is that question even possible to answer?

If you cannot explain it, then you don't even now why you are doing it. It generally isn't very productive to just go replace things left and right without understanding why you need to.
5Gbps is more than five times higher than the highest bitrate possible with the Quest 2/3, which theoretically is around 950 with lots of tweaking. So going for a 10Gbps cable, does not help you even one bit.

If you cannot explain it, then you don't even now why you are doing it. It generally isn't very productive to just go replace things left and right without understanding why you need to.
5Gbps is more than five times higher than the highest bitrate possible with the Quest 2/3, which theoretically is around 950 with lots of tweaking. So going for a 10Gbps cable, does not help you even one bit.

That didn't really answer my question. I realize that replacing things left and right has no purpose so I'm not sure why you're lecturing me about that. I'm not the person that said they changed their USB cable. That was a different hard user.

What?

You are the one that made this statement in response to me asking the OP why he would want this.

So I am asking you, why do you think replacing the cable will mitigate the compression artifacts? You must have had some reason for making this statement.

Back