USB 3.1 gen 2 enclosure doesn't work on USB 3.1 ports

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I purchased a Syba SD-ENC25047 USB 3.1 Gen 2 2.5" enclosure and installed a SSD in it. For some reason it doesn't work at all on my MSI X99A SLI Plus' USB 3.1 ports. Works fine on the standard USB 3.0 ports, maxes out ~380Mbps, which is pretty impressive, but I'd like to get USB 3.1 speeds.

USB 3.0 devices work fine on the 3.1 ports, but this is the first 3.1 Gen 2 device I've tried on my PC so I have no idea what the problem is. Tried loading up Parted Magic, and it didn't work there either- gets hung up every time.

Since this is a USB bus powered device, might that be the issue? Could it be MSI's early implementation of USB 3.1?

I yank a fair amount of SSD's and 2.5 mechanicals from Laptops. It's not uncommon for me to use these 3.0 / 3.1 and USB-C external drive cases.

I can share with you that Syba and whatever brand / make of I/O chip they are using ... FOR ME ... has never ever delivered stellar performance.

You're not going to see any better speeds better than 350 to 450 and that's only the initial burst speeds until buffers fill up. Once it lowers to it's 'sustained' speed, you're going to see 225 to 275, maybe 300. I'm taking MB/s ... not Megabit which you've listed.

Sata 6 has plenty of headroom under USB 3.0

It would take a NVMe based SSD and USB-C / Thunderbolt to see higher speeds. I'm sure those enclosures might be out there, I haven't looked.

When I say it "doesn't work" on the USB 3.1 ports I'm not talking speed-wise, I'm talking not at all. Works fine on every other USB port I have, except the 3.1 ports. Every 3.0 device I've tried on the 3.1 ports work fine.

Back