USB 3.0 extension/adapter?

Term-X

2[H]4U
Does anyone know of a place to get a USB 3.0 extension cable of sorts that is capable of accepting the 20-pin motherboard connector and the other end can plug in to a back IO USB 3.0 port? Trying to do this as a sort of work-around since my mobo doesn't have a header for the front IO ports.

o.O.gif

... what?! 20-pin mobo connector?! huh?

You just want a front USB3.0 port? Like this?? Bytecc UH-430 Super-Speed USB 3.0 4-ports Internal 3.5" Bay HUB

Does anyone know of a place to get a USB 3.0 extension cable of sorts that is capable of accepting the 20-pin motherboard connector and the other end can plug in to a back IO USB 3.0 port?
I've seen requests for this before and AFAIK there aren't any avaliable.

so uh, which 20-pin connector is he talking about? :eek:
The 20 pin motherboard header that front panel USB 3.0 connectors are supposed to use. Example (bottom right inside the orange highlight) on ASUS P8H67-I Deluxe...

f7zmxurwlsvabxy4500.jpg

...but many motherboards don't have the 20 pin header so we're forced to use a pass through cable out the back of the chassis to plug into the I/O panel.

This has been fine for while since the cable spec wasn't finalised and the likes of Silverstone & Lian Li were using a pass thru cable by default. Now though chassis are shipping with the proper 20 pin cable and some people need a new adapter so that they can still run a pass thru cable.

Last edited:
so uh, which 20-pin connector is he talking about? :eek:
Tell ya the truth, I wasn't sure exactly which one it was but IanM fixed that for us. (Big Thumbs-Up).

I'm not sure why no one has come out with an adaptor but I've seen the request numerous times.

ahhh, i c... eh, the adapter will show up once not so many people need it. at least, thats what usually happens, lol.

Tell ya the truth, I wasn't sure exactly which one it was but IanM fixed that for us. (Big Thumbs-Up).
No problem :) I'm wrestling with the exact same issue. I want a couple of Lian Li cases and Intel mobos, but of course Intel aren't using the the 20 pin header yet, and Lian Li are utterly confusing (there's at least 3 iterations of the Q11 case that I want to use) and according to their new catalogue they are now shipping with 20 pin USB 3.0 cables for the front ports.

However, originally they were using a pass through cable and a rubber grommet on the back of the cases (like water cooling access holes) At some point they appear to have stopped using the pass through hole on the back of the cases, but supplied some alternative cable and adapter (I think the UC-01)

I'm not sure why no one has come out with an adaptor but I've seen the request numerous times.
It's infuriating, a certain phrase containing the words "arses" and "elbows" springs to mind. Because of the previous situation with pass through cables there are adapters like the Bitfenix Internal USB 3.0 adapter or the Lian Li UC-01:

cu0101s.jpg

What we need now is very similar, but instead of the 20 pin plug to USB sockets, we want a 20 pin socket to USB plug(s).

I may just gamble on the Q11 and hope I get the right cable, or hope that maybe Lian Li are putting an adapter in the box? still it seems like a widespread issue now so with any luck the adapters will appear very soon.

ahhh, i c... eh, the adapter will show up once not so many people need it. at least, thats what usually happens, lol.
Sounds about right. :)

I'm thinkin' this is the chance for some of you industrious gents to make a little cash? :D

Almost forgot about this thread (goldfish mode the last few days) but thanks for the replies guys. Yea I sort of figured but posted incase there was a remote chance someone knew of one. Hopefully someone will make one available soon. It's not a major issue but I mean, it would be more convenient to be able to access USB 3.0 ports from the front (have a couple USB drives that take advantage of it).

I have the same issue.
I have an Intel MOBO and a Silverstone case with the internal 20 pin connector.
I have found out Silverstone makes a solution to ths with a EC01 internal card that has the male plug so you can use the front usb 3 ports with your case even though your mobo does not have the internal connector.
I just bought on from http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31404

1 x *** NEW *** Silverstone EC01 PCI Express Card w/ USB3.0 Connector (RL-EC01) $26.95
rl-ec01_01.jpg

What's "goldfish mode"?

Not doing anything.....comatose? :confused:

lol well basically my memory was terrible, forgetting things left and right. 10 second memory span, etc

Looks like the PCIe card might be the route to take, given the absence of said cables/adapters.

lol well basically my memory was terrible, forgetting things left and right. 10 second memory span, etc
Ah....OK.

I've never heard of it.....must be a regional thing but at least I'll know what it means the next time. :)

Back