• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

usb 3.0 ext SSD speeds?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 12, 2000
Messages
1,655
I have 2 Sabrent dual, 1 single usb 3.0 docks. Ssds in these docks get about 160-170 MB per second. My 2 128 monster external ssds (got em at Sams for 29 a piece) also get around the same. My patriot 128 rage thumb drive gets 200 MB per second Sandisk 64 thumb drive gets175 MB per second..
Are these normal speeds ?

On the external SSDs. I know Trims doesn't work in usb. Should I use Tony Trim method to optimize those ssds or is garbage collection enough? Also ssd controller is a Philson Controller, any good? Is there any way to enable UASP?

thanks fo any info..
 
Uhh, it'd help to know what specific drives you're running and whether you've got them on native ports or an extra controller (Marvell, Asmedia, etc). Those speeds could be normal, could also be awful depending on what you've got exactly and how you're testing.

SSD can definitely hit much higher sequential speeds on USB 3.0 enclosures and docks. UASP can help but both your motherboard and external devices would have to support it. Whether you should bother with manual TRIM or leave it up to GC will depend on what you're using them for IMO.
 
Not really. I ended up getting two different brands and 3 external USB 3.0 enclosures and the "Inland" enclosures were the worst, despite the fact that I had two different models.

I think you've misinterpreted something in my post... All I meant is one can definitely surpass the 170MB/s that the OP is seeing on an external USB 3.0 device (regardless of what kind, I've never touched docks myself).

Your own numbers prove that much... However without knowing what devices he's actually testing tho, and how, we're just stabbing in the dark.
 
I really would like to get uasp working. My usb is intel 8 series c 220 ehc1 using Microsoft win 8 host driver intel does not have a win 8 driver. Is there a way to check if uasp is working or make it work? PS all my drives use with my sabrents are Sata 3. My sabrent docks are supposed to be uasp capable
 
IIRC the Windows 8.1 driver from MS does support UASP, not sure how you check it's enabled, I don't think that's your main issue regardless...
 
I know it supposed to. So by default it should work with the sabrent docks. What could going on or not working here?
 
Back
Top