• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

US UP2414Q with UK plug?

Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
50
Hello

I purchased a Dell UP2414Q from the states. I have a UK to USA plug adapter, on the face it says 250V 13A, inside the up2414q box dell provide a cable that connects the plug to the monitor which has a sticky label saying 125v 10A.

I am curious because my outlet provides a greater volts/amps, perhaps the monitor can get what it needs and will work, on the other hand perhaps giving it too much will damage it?

I phoned dell tech support, and they said that I should just buy a dell UK cable which will be 250V 13A, if this is true then it seems to me like the monitor can handle a greater Voltage/Amperage, however some tech support don't know what they are doing.

What do you think? Thanks
 
Last edited:
Judging by what you've posted, it sounds like you have just enough knowledge of electricity to burn your house down.

The monitor runs on DC power so somewhere there is a transformer to convert AC to DC power. That transformer is what needs to be compatible with both 120V and 250V power. If there is a power brick and it only says "120v 10A" then DO NOT PLUG IT INTO 250V LEADS. If that is the case, you need to do what dell tech support says and buy at 250v compatible power brick. If the power brick says it can handle 250v, then you should be fine plugging it in with an adapter. If you are unsure what I am talking about, I would just go ahead and buy the adapter rather than risk a fire.
 
Judging by what you've posted, it sounds like you have just enough knowledge of electricity to burn your house down.

The monitor runs on DC power so somewhere there is a transformer to convert AC to DC power. That transformer is what needs to be compatible with both 120V and 250V power. If there is a power brick and it only says "120v 10A" then DO NOT PLUG IT INTO 250V LEADS. If that is the case, you need to do what dell tech support says and buy at 250v compatible power brick. If the power brick says it can handle 250v, then you should be fine plugging it in with an adapter. If you are unsure what I am talking about, I would just go ahead and buy the adapter rather than risk a fire.

The dell tech support did not tell me to buy a 250V power brick, They told me to buy a cable with a 250v sticker.(in the UK most of these cables default with a UK plug too)
As for power bricks, there is no power brick with the monitor, just a monitor and a cable, the cable plugs into the monitor one end and into the power socket in the other end.

On the official dell specs link it states

Electrical
Voltage Required:
100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz ± 3Hz / 2.1 A (typical)
Power Consumption (Operational):
90 W (typical) / 120W (maximum)7
Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep:
Less than 1.2W


The "Cable" I am referring to in my posts with the 125v sticker is this.(Dell tech told me to buy another one of these with a 250v sticker)

29hFKUNs.jpg


If I replace that cable with the cable below(250v + uk plug), perhaps the monitor will work?

th


If anybody can confirm that trying it wont break/blow the internals I would be happy to try it, but I dont want to just go plugging different cables inside.
I am also curios as to whether the internals of the UK version of the UP2414Q is any different than the US, or if it is just a different power cable provided.
 
Last edited:
If that is the case, then you should just need a cable like in the picture, but with the absurdly large UK plug on the end. Or an adapter.
 
Judging by what you've posted, it sounds like you have just enough knowledge of electricity to burn your house down.

The monitor runs on DC power so somewhere there is a transformer to convert AC to DC power. That transformer is what needs to be compatible with both 120V and 250V power. If there is a power brick and it only says "120v 10A" then DO NOT PLUG IT INTO 250V LEADS. If that is the case, you need to do what dell tech support says and buy at 250v compatible power brick. If the power brick says it can handle 250v, then you should be fine plugging it in with an adapter. If you are unsure what I am talking about, I would just go ahead and buy the adapter rather than risk a fire.

If that is the case, then you should just need a cable like in the picture, but with the absurdly large UK plug on the end. Or an adapter.

I asked dell again in another chat about the internals of the monitor, they said the UP2414q is the same monitor wherever its shipped, its only the cables they change depending on the country, so I will give this a try.

If it blows the monitor, I have 2 phone calls of the tech staff saying its ok, so it should not be my fault.
 
Ok, for those interested, it worked. Cable change beats buying any adapters and power converters/transformers.

Thanks
 
Ok, for those interested, it worked. Cable change beats buying any adapters and power converters/transformers.

Thanks

I just went to Amazon.co.uk and bought 10 PC cables for all my stuff. Only things I had to use a step down convertor for was my receiver, game consoles and printer. Everything else was auto switching.
 
It tells you right on the back of the monitor 100-240 volts. Virtually every monitor produced is the same voltage range, as it's too expensive to make different models of the same monitor for different markets.

You just need the applicable power cable.
 
Back
Top