URGENT! NO POWER!

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, this is important as it is my school PC/gaming PC
Specs:
AMD Phenom X4 955 BE OC'd to 3.8 for about 2 weeks.
Gigabyte MDA77OT-UDP3
16 GB G.Skill
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI TWN FRZR 6950 at stock
Ultra 650W PSU, was told once i got here by dannybui(i think it was) model was not so good(maybe culprit)

I was doing homework online, watching Hulu and had iTunes open. Finished everything, slept the PC, cooked for about 15min came back and clicked my mouse to come out of sleep and all i got was a blink from the flashdrive in the back on the mobo, my green LED on my case fan flashed, my fan on my H50 moved for a moment as well. So i get a suge of power.

Only thing i tried was removing the battery to reset the BIOS in hopes of it just needing the OC removed. It was ONLY multiplier that was adjusted.

I always have been in a surge protector, i took it out of that, tried in 2 wall sockets to no avail.

It will only flash power every couple of minutes. If i hit it, flash, hit it again no flash. Let sit again, flash.

I have to say it's either mobo or PSU but i don't know hwo to determine it. While i have a little bit of funds, i don't have enough to buy a whole new PC(college budget)

If i need a mobo i think i'm going to go AMD3+ and i need a recommendation on a decent PSU if it may be that.

My friend has a brand new antec 620W here, could i just plug in the 6 pin to see if i get power to the fans?

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: I forgot, i am +.025V on CPU and the Mobo looks fine, no black, no swollen or burst caps.

Ultra 650W PSU, was told once i got here by dannybui(i think it was) model was not so good(maybe culprit)

Yes that was me that told you it was a bad idea. Even it isn't the current culprit, it's just plain irresponsible and a poor poor idea to pair that shitty of a power supply with that high-end of a PSU. I highly highly recommend replacing the PSU with this:
$85 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

My friend has a brand new antec 620W here, could i just plug in the 6 pin to see if i get power to the fans? .
6Pin to what? In any case, swap out that shitty Ultra PSU with your friend's Antec 620W PSU. See if it's the main culprit or not.

Alternatively, try to test your parts in another PC as much as possible. There's a high possibility that PSU may have killed some parts.

thanks Danny, I was going to go with this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I would like to be set for the future and any OCing i might do again, I know i won't ever run dual cards. So if youre sure yours will do it I'm clicking buy.
For any single GPU config + CPU overclocking, that Corsair 650TX V2 PSU that I recommended will be enough for your needs.

Even if you wanted to go for a 750W PSU for whatever reason, that Corsair 750TX would still have been a bad choice considering that the newer, updated, higher quality, and better efficiency version of that PSU is $10 less:
$110 - Corsair 750TX V2 750W PSU

I'm getting a mobo too and hoping my 6950 is still good as well as my CPU.

I don't think you need a new mobo just yet. Now what happened when you swapped your friend's PSU into your PC?

Thanks, I'll think about it. I'm switching the PSU now.

EDIT: PSU switch was to an Antec 620W, this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

Everything is fine so far. It actually looks like it came out of sleep mode, Firefox page open and iTunes opened.
I am going to run off that Antec until my new one comes in.

Going with the 650 too.

Thanks a ton Danny.

Last edited:
Well hey, you had a problem but it wasn't major, nothing broke and we got an awesome example as to why you should listen to Danny Bui about powersupplies and get a good PSU in general. Hint: It's cause he's magic and will always give you the correct part. :p

Good to see the issue is resolved for now

@Uberboob
Thanks for the kind words:D

Well hey, you had a problem but it wasn't major, nothing broke and we got an awesome example as to why you should listen to Danny Bui about powersupplies and get a good PSU in general. Hint: It's cause he's magic and will always give you the correct part. :p

lol, yea, i see Danny is a great guy around here.
I admitted i bought all my PC parts at a local large company, didn't know much past processors, GPUs, cases, RAM.
Live and learn i guess.

Back