Urgent Help with Vista on my laptop for school!

Spartan611

Limp Gawd
Hi guys. I am typing this from my desktop just for reference. I have a Macbook Pro with a 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo and a 8600M Video card (for reference on what model the laptop is) and am running Leopard and Vista in Bootcamp. I use it for school (for some programs like Office 2007 and others, although I am aware Office 2008 just came out). It has been running mostly fine since the Bootcamp Beta with Tiger. Now I had Windows Live One Care on this computer and that computer as my antivirus. And it expired on 2/1/08 on both computers. I uninstalled it on this desktop with really no problems. But I installed Fix it 8 Professional before the expiration date on the license on the laptop and thought I disabled Live One Care. I should know better that having 2 antivirus programs can be bad? But what happens if only one is for viruses and the other is like tune up stuff? Anyways for some reason yesterday (it when I first noticed it happening) a lot of Windows Vista is messed up. Here are my problems:
1. Windows Explorer is all messed up. I can only open some folders and stuff.
2. I cannot open the Network panel from the Vista start menu shortcut.
3. It shows my network is disconnect in the bottom right permanent task bar even though I can connect.
4. I cannot uninstall Live One Care. It stalls and then crashes (That is why I think One Care may be the problem).
5. I cannot update my Fix it Utilities 8 Professional Virus Definitions in order to run a virus scan.
6. Multiple programs stall, hang, and crash.
7. I have encountered Blue screens before this problem and during the last 2 days.
8. I ran Reliability and Performance Monitor as well as the Task Manager and both show my CPU running at near 100%.
9. I cannot enter the windows update screen (the view already installed and the check for updates) window.
10. The computer is very slow.

I need help with this guys. What do you guys think it could be? Virus? Hardware Error? Registry or Software error? One Care error?

I dont want to reformat the system because I may have some important files. But at the same time I cant backup the files because they may be infected.

Does anybody have an idea? Please respond ASAP. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

EDIT: I should add that all this is happening on the Windows portion. Forgot to mention that..... oops.

try getting rid of fix it 8 and see if it works better, if not then try avg free antivirus.

forgot to add check your event viewer and post the warnings if any

Macs don't get virus. :eek:

Go to your control panel (use the classic view), then Administrative Task, then Event Viewer.

Sounds to me like something hijacked your system files. Could very well be legit softwares you've uninstalled that didn't do it properly.

With the amount of problems you're having, you might be better off doing a repair install of Vista.

Macs don't get virus. :eek:

Go to your control panel (use the classic view), then Administrative Task, then Event Viewer.

Sounds to me like something hijacked your system files. Could very well be legit softwares you've uninstalled that didn't do it properly.

With the amount of problems you're having, you might be better off doing a repair install of Vista.

Macs DO get viruses when you run windows on half the hard drive. The hardware is virtually the same on a mac and a pc. It is the operating system that is different. :eek: :D

I should add that all this is happening on the Windows portion. Forgot to mention that..... oops.

You said in your orginal post that your CPU was running at 100%. Do you know what task is running at 100%? That task is causing at least some of your problems.

You said in your orginal post that your CPU was running at 100%. Do you know what task is running at 100%? That task is causing at least some of your problems.

Yea I do know.....It is the most vital task that Windows has..... Explorer.exe

Cant really delete that you know? lol

I'd do a fresh install of Vista. It sounds like you've borked the system by running all these various security apps, and having a few on the drive at the same time.

Ok I just started it in safe mode and I get the following error for Fix it Utilities 8 Professional when trying to update:

The following components:
Fix it Utilities 8 Professional: Merge CFG
Fix it Utilities 8 Professional: HelperDLL

could not be checked for updates because of the following error:

[12007]: Cannot resolve name.

What does that mean and is it causing the problem?

I still cant get into the network explorer.exe window.

I also have a new version. mutliple license, of bit defender I just bought for my desktop pc? Would that be better?

Back