• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Urgent array failed

jschuricht

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
100
I have a 24 drive R6 array on a LSI 1078 based controller. The array disappeared and all but one drive are saying unconfigured good. I have tried on the original controller and a second controller to load my backup config and import a foreign config. Both fail. I need a fix quick.
 
I would be curious too. Subscribed. I wish there was some sort of recovery software made for failed RAID systems that still had data retained on the drives -- like, you/software would try every combination of ordering of drives until it found a combination that resulted in logical file structures, from which you would then be able to pull stuff off. Is there any software like this?
 
In the controller bios does it say anything anywhere about foreign configurations found?
 
It did see a foreign config until I tried to import it. It failed and I can no longer see the config. I opened a ticket with LSI and they sent me a utility to run that collects all the logs. It shows how the array was configured, now if I could only input that manually somehow.
 
Did the backplane give out? If that was faulty, it may not be getting drive info.
 
I have backups of some stuff but there was 38TB in use. I have been going through what I have, there are a few things that would be nice to get back as I either can't find them or have old backups but most of the data is backed up on astraweb.

I doubt it was the backplane. One of the first things I did was move the drives to a different chassis that's connected to a different controller.

I think I have just about gotten over the shock of how much of a pain this is going to be but on the plus side, I was wanting to redo the array.
 
Just did a quick calculation, should only have to max out my connection for the next 110 days.
 
I have seen this with LSI in the past. If the drive is good you have to go in the utility (without importing the foreign array) then go to the physical drive and mark it as a good drive (probably unconfigured) then go to scan on the main menu of the interface and it should then be able to import the array. Definitely don't want to do this unless you know the order of the drives that failed though.

Honestly the logging on LSI sucks which makes them kind of a pain in the ass to recover. Areca is a lot easier in this aspect.
 
Back
Top