ups should die

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
I have used both and I would say FedEx is better(my opinion based on my dealings with them).

But I did take a tour through the Edina UPS hub here in Minnesota, and let me tell you, everyone from the sorters up top to the BigRig loaders beat the ever living stuffing out of the packages.

When I was there, the only time the packages were handled with "care" was when they were loading the little Brown trucks for local Edina deliveries.

I bet FedEx does the same, but I have never had a damaged box delivered to me from them, I have from UPS though.

Assuming you are there to sign for it(wich I know is not always a possability because most times they just leave it no matter what)why would anyone except a package with even a small amount of damage to the outside? When ever I get a package(or I tell my fiance' to do this)that has even the slightest amount of damage, I don't sign for it until I have inspected the contents, the driver has to stay until you either sign for it, regect it, or o.k the contents if you suspect damage.

Originally posted by _cashel
Yeah I figured that, but ZipZoomFly? That's a lame name.

I agree on the name choice, but I say as long as the service, selection, and prices stay good(as they have) then they could be called BigButtExplosion.com and I would still buy from them.

As long as they didn't put it on the outside of the box.;)

Originally posted by Tiny
I agree on the name choice, but I say as long as the service, selection, and prices stay good(as they have) then they could be called BigButtExplosion.com and I would still buy from them.

As long as they didn't put it on the outside of the box.;)

Ummm... That's an interesting domain name. :p I wonder if it works... Nope. :p Looks like an interesting idea for a business name... :p

I've gotten stuff from Newegg via FedEx, nothing damaged. Of course, the cases I have recieved have never actually been damaged, and have been packed with PLEANTY of styrafoam.

big butt explosion.com... Hehe... :p I'd buy from them just because of the name. ;) 'Look what I got from BigButtExplosion.com today!!!'

Somone should stuff their CEO in a box and ship him cross-country via UPS. If he survived, I think he'd do something to improve conditions... especially if he were promised another cross-country trip if things didn't get better.

Pretty much same thing happened to me but with fedex from newegg. Ordered 2 x dreamer cases 1 arrived perfect the other had a large dent in the top and the entrie front plate was cracked and ripped off entirely. Of course newegg is great and actually sent me a new frontplate for that one and i pushed the dent out and the case is perfect now, but to top it off they also sent me a new case for free which arrived perfect. The best customer service I have ever dealt with.

well it all depends on where you live. I try to order my packages in the same state and they all end up in good shape. but whenever i order from somewhere out of california, they almost always end up getting beat up somehow. thats the way its always been in my experience, maybe UPS is different out there?

Here's another fun tidbit on UPS: Company policy is to refuse insurance claims, no matter what.

I had a car part valued and insured at a little under $200 shipped to me a very delicate part (a body panel). Because of the nature of the part, any damage whatsoever would cost more to fix than to simply replace - and of course, it was damaged during shipping. I called UPS to claim the insurance on it. No problem - they needed to inspect the item to review my claim. So they come pick it up, and then return it a week later. I call them to inquire about the status of my claim, and find out it was refused. Even though they'll readily admit the damage occurred during shipping.

Why? Because I had received the package and not made the claim at reception, any claim I would make is null and void. Why didn't I do that? Because I wasn't home, and rather than leaving a note for me to specify whether or not I wanted the package left, the driver simply left the item. No, they don't have my signature on file. No, they don't know why. In short, they screwed me.

FUCK UPS.

Here's one that FedEx tested for me. The case was dented and the front was knocked off. The HD was knocked off, and was flying around inside the case. The screws were sheared! The video card was also loose. The floppy was destroyed, but other than that everything lived. This is a great testament to Western Digital. I was certain that it would never work again.

P1010002.JPG

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
Somone should stuff their CEO in a box and ship him cross-country via UPS. If he survived, I think he'd do something to improve conditions... especially if he were promised another cross-country trip if things didn't get better.
That'd be really interesting.

I live in Toronto, near a UPS plant (Jane/Steeles)... they hire teenagers ever year for seasonal work, my friend said parcel trashing does go on in there... but the wages are good, so that's all that matters ;)

Originally posted by mosin
Here's one that FedEx tested for me. The case was dented and the front was knocked off. The HD was knocked off, and was flying around inside the case. The screws were sheared! The video card was also loose. The floppy was destroyed, but other than that everything lived. This is a great testament to Western Digital. I was certain that it would never work again.

P1010002.JPG

Hard Drive manufacters should give a FedEx and UPS rating for how well their hard drives survive during shipment :) .

Originally posted by burningrave101
Hard Drive manufacters should give a FedEx and UPS rating for how well their hard drives survive during shipment :) .
Yaa maybe hardware reviewers could at some FedExmarks and some UPSmarks to their reviews.

Originally posted by Met-AL
Yaa maybe hardware reviewers could at some FedExmarks and some UPSmarks to their reviews.

lmao That's hilarious. :p Really, UPS and FedEx need to get it together. They're almost as bad as airline baggage handlers.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
They're almost as bad as airline baggage handlers.

I've used them for getting my PC from FL to Ohio. I just packed it in a giant suitcase with towels to the point where it was nice and snug, then zipped and locked it shut. From the looks of it, the case was probably on the bottom of the baggage, becuase my acrylic window had popped into the case, and the waterblock was a little loose on the cpu. Other than that, everything was fine and I used the computer as part of a display for a science project.

Well, my parents have had their share of problems with UPS... They're photographers and the company they order frames from ships via UPS. They have gotten packages from UPS with forklift holes straight though the middle of the box, boxes with numerous bootprints on them, they got one frame box with tire tracks on it, and UPS has even delivered a frame box with one corner bashed in at least eight inches (and inside this box was a $500 30"x40" wood frame... needless to say, it was totally destroyed).

I've had the UPS delivery guy leave my DangerDen order in some smashed up, soggy box under the bushes by my front door on a rainy night...the guy never bothered to even ring the doorbell. Luckily nothing inside the box was damaged.

I'm surprised UPS hasn't been sued more for damaging property. I know if I had something shipped through them, with insurance, and they refused to pay damages, I wouldn't even bother talking to the company that sent it, I'd go find my lawyer.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
lmao That's hilarious. :p Really, UPS and FedEx need to get it together. They're almost as bad as airline baggage handlers.

Ha ha I worked in a baggage hall during a summer for $£$£$ a few years ago.

Now I'd never travel with anything but a Samsonite case :p

You guys aren't into vinyl, but you should see what they can do to a turntable. I've had six shipped to me, and they have destroyed, or damaged, four of them. It takes almost forever to get them to pay a claim. If there is any way to weasle out of paying, they will.

i order parts from a supplier in texas, once a week . A couple of years ago UPS started a guarnteed delivery or your money back ground service. was to be five days from texas to idaho, I figured as that is what it normally took it was all hype. WRONG it was a way to sucker people to ship with them. it now takes seven to ten working days to get the stuff from texas. I asked for a refund claim form and they do not have any. You have to go to your commercial client representive ( didn't know we had one ) and get them to refund your account ( We pay for it when it gets to the door ) so we can't file a claim.

Finally got the supplier to change to FED EX, it's on time and not terribly beat up:D
the supplier ta least knows how to pack the parts so they survive.

Sat down a figured out how much shipping was due back for late shipments and it totalled @ $3,000.00 for the first year, the same for the secondyear and $ 4500.00 for the last year.

That all comes off MY bottom line and the tax deduct doesn't make up for it.

Unfortunately if you do business in these times you have to have parts and someone has to ship them to you. NONE of them are any better than the others.

Thank the unions where they can get excellent wages and do not have to have any responsablity for their actions. the local drivers are usually very careful because they have to meet the guy with the damaged product, the guys in the terminals are very well screened from any come back,

Life's a bitch and then they tax you:D

Originally posted by racercarl

Thank the unions where they can get excellent wages and do not have to have any responsablity for their actions. the local drivers are usually very careful because they have to meet the guy with the damaged product, the guys in the terminals are very well screened from any come back,

UPS isn't unionized.

Originally posted by _cashel
Yeah I figured that, but ZipZoomFly? That's a lame name.

Its perfect actually.

THey already had a loyal customer base. They didn't even have to do any advertising. We all heard about googlegear thru tech forums, and it you couldn't find zipzoomfly on your own all you had to do was ask in any forum and you'd get your answer.

All they had to do was pick a name everyone would remember. Do you have any problems remembering ZipZoomFly?

I agree with the other guy though. BigButtExplosion would have been better.

Originally posted by skritch
UPS isn't unionized.

UPS IS UNION.

Thats why there are threats of strike every few years.

Fedex (where I work) is non union. Also, at fedex express, rough handling of packages is not tolerated, I have seen people fired on the spot for that. Ground (my end of the biz) is a whole other ball game, and for stuff like this, ship fedex express, preferably overnight or 2 day. The less time it spends in the system the less chance it has for a fuckup. Also, its not Fedex's policy to outright deny all claims. We are generally better, or so I hear, than UPS on paying them. I used to have a customer that shipped off lease monitors, 21" and larger, according to them, we pay about 25% of the time and UPS never paid a single one.

IMHO, you can blame most of the damages on the people that load the trailers. In my experience, loading is where the newbies go, and heavy packages usually find thier way on top. Sometimes, its impossible to do otherwise, but an experienced loader will always reduce that. Also, a lot of companies need to learn how to pack better. The cheapest cardboard box and cheapo packing peanuts are not acceptable, the box will break and the peanuts will leak, which just makes a huge mess everywhere. IMHO, the best way to ship something is in double wall cardboard box with foam filling, but we cant all do that. At the very least, use the heaviest, sturdiest box you can find.

Also, you really shouldent ship your computers assembled. Dell can get away with it because they pack in a huge ass box, and for the most part, the cases are small and well put together. Your going to have problems shipping a complete computer in the box the huge ass tower case orginally shipped in. At the very least, you should remove and box separatly the hard drives and heatsink, or any other heavy componets that might break free if it were dropped. Dents to the case will hopefully be prevented by shipping it in a larger, sturdier box filled to the brim with packing peanuts, or double box it.

Shit will always happen, but there is usually a way to prevent at least some damages.

sheeeit

thats why its a good idea to not ship stuff assembled :D

Originally posted by Petra
Well, my parents have had their share of problems with UPS... They're photographers and the company they order frames from ships via UPS. They have gotten packages from UPS with forklift holes straight though the middle of the box, boxes with numerous bootprints on them, they got one frame box with tire tracks on it, and UPS has even delivered a frame box with one corner bashed in at least eight inches (and inside this box was a $500 30"x40" wood frame... needless to say, it was totally destroyed).

I've had the UPS delivery guy leave my DangerDen order in some smashed up, soggy box under the bushes by my front door on a rainy night...the guy never bothered to even ring the doorbell. Luckily nothing inside the box was damaged.

Wow, UPS must really hate you guys.

Originally posted by rdb
UPS IS UNION.

Thats why there are threats of strike every few years.

Parts of it may be, but their delivery people aren't.

Uhh, yes they are. Everyone but managment is union. This does not vary. The loaders, and especially the drivers. And the amount of control the union has in that place is sickening. In fact, the union controls who gets to drive. Technically, if your non union you cant touch a package for UPS.

Originally posted by racercarl

Yeah, that's pretty much it, I don't expect to get my 30 bucks of 'border processing taxes' back X_X.

Originally posted by rdb
Uhh, yes they are. Everyone but managment is union. This does not vary. The loaders, and especially the drivers. And the amount of control the union has in that place is sickening. In fact, the union controls who gets to drive. Technically, if your non union you cant touch a package for UPS.

Strange. Last time I talked to the local depot manager, he said they weren't. Of course, I was insisting he fire one of them at the time, but... ;)

Fair enough. I sit corrected.

I can vouch for UPS being Unionized.

My Dad works for DOW Chemical and he is in the Operators Union. Well during June 2003, the operators went on Strike. During the strike other unions walked and UPS drivers and loaders were there.

Well, UPS won't even deliver to my place, but I'd never had a problem with FedEx.

Out of the numerous packages I've recieved from FedEx, not a single one has even had a mark or dent in it. I've even recieved fully assembled PCs that were still intact just as they were shipped out.

Of course I only deal with FedEx Express, so Ground could be a completely different story.

I've shipped hundreds upon hundreds of personal packages (computer stuff) via UPS, and I used to be a shipper for a small distributer who used UPS, and I gotta tell ya, if you want your stuff to arrive in once piece, I highly suggest you pack well. UPS are barbarians, baboons, and lonely men, who are likely to first bash, then cuddle with your packages.

Originally posted by Silent1
yeah they dropped my monitor, fuck tards.

You should see what they did to my friend's first 2 projection screen TV's. Dropped them, hard. Refused to honor their insurance, too.

UPS And FedEx Ground (Not FedEx) are both not so great at delivering packages.

Take this advice from me (I've worked in a Mail Boxes Etc my whole life [literally])
1. Pack well, you can test this by asking yourself, can this box survice a six foot drop off a conveyor belt? Why? UPS And FedExG have conveyor belts in there buildings that will make drops about that high, or sometimes stuff wil lfall off trucks etc.
2. Ship FedEx (NOT GROUND) whenever possible. It may cost more but your usually better because it spends less time in transit.
3. Rule #2 usually doenst apply within the same zone. If your shipping within the same zone, go Ground. It will take the same as one - two days because it doesnt go real far, and spends less time in transit yet again.
4. Peanuts arent enough. Wehn you ship a computer fully assembled (Which is really stupid unless its already broken), be sure to use a Foam In Place product such as Sealed Air's Insta Pack or LOTS of bubble wrap. then fill the rest iwth peanuts.
5. Ship smallest box possible, but be sure to leave 2" all around the computer so there is padding for the bubbles to take there place.
6. Dont ship from UPS Stores. They are contracted to only do UPS, not to mention they are being treated unfairly. Most UPS Stores were oringally Mail Boxes Etc, but using illegal trade practices they scared them into transforming...
Very bad stuff.

Thats all I can think of to help you with for now.

I hate UPS more than satan himself

seriously

worst company evar

Back