UPS: leaving the stuff on your porch?

Betauser

2[H]4U
Hi, i currently bought an item here a last week and the items was delivered on time according from the tracking. But what happened was, UPS left the item on the porch and now the item is lost. I never got the item, but the ups delivered it and left it on front of our door.

So am i responsible for the lost or the freaking UPS responsible for it? the item is insured according from the seller. I reported to ups that the item was lost and they said they're going to investigate.

what i'm really looking here is an advice or tips or info about this kind of incident. What should I do at this time? I'm guessing the item was stolen when the UPS dropped the item on our porch w/out letting us know. (no one was home when they delivered the item)

so any info or help i can get here would really appreciate and thank you.

btw, the item is 160gig HDD and was paid $85.00 thru paypal.

Generally they have to get a signature, unless you have a release on file for them to just leave stuff, like I do with FedEx. I know the delivery guy for my area though, and he knows to put stuff on the back porch, not the front. Also, franchised FedEx drivers HAVE to get a signature before leaving a package, because if they don't and the package is lost THEY pay for it, out of their own insurance policy with the company, or so my driver has explained to me. Don't know if it's the same for UPS or not, I somehow doubt it with all the times they leave stuff around.

I'd say complain nice and loud to them about it, and they'll make sure their driver doesn't do it ever again.

USPS i know did and my package got stolen and they did jack about, I know my UPS guy pretty well, i get stuff all week long, so if im not home he knows my niebor will take it for me. I like UPS atleast around here, theyre very nice guys/gals, they always have a smile and willing to help with anything

Sphexi said:
Generally they have to get a signature, unless you have a release on file for them to just leave stuff, like I do with FedEx.

No they do not. You have to pay extra for them to require a signature. Why? Well, if no one is home, they have to attempt another delivery. This means the driver takes it again, wasting his time, company's money and taking up room in the truck that another package could have taken.

Same with FedEx, though since FedEx drivers own their own truck, and are considered independant contractors, they can be at fault. If they feel the item is not safe they can not leave it and attempt another delivery.

if you want to sign for your package and not have ti left at the door, pay the extra cost.

its not extra thru UPS for signature, if you look at the sticker they leave when tthey attempt to drop a package off it says "signature required" "will re-attempt delivery on...." Ive never paid extra for that goin thru UPS

Indeed, they can and will leave it anywhere.
I've had signatures from F. Rontdoor, G. Arage, S. Ideyard

I usually get a note for the delivery attempt. Its not a big deal as the UPS center is about a mile or two from here so its just a simple drive to go pick something up. As for FedEx, they've delivered stuff and if I wasn't here, the lady across the street is kind enough to sign for it. They leave a note and I go pick it up later.

UPS usually knocks for me, but USPS just leaves it wherever and whenever they want, without ANY notification.

Complain LONG and [H]ARD. :D

Some the UPS folk have me sign for the stuff, but lately they've been just leaving them on the front door after they ring the bell. Fortunately our front door is very well concealed, so I don't worry too much.

USPS on the other hand, misdelivered one of my larger packages (it was a front axle set of cross-drilled/slotted Brembo rotors and Prostop ceramic pads) and even with proof of insurance they just kept giving me the run around. It's been well over a month since my claim was filed and I still haven't received anything. It's kind of weird because I've never had a misdelivery from USPS before, so I'm pretty sure they know which house is mine which is why I suspect possible theft. :confused:

Cold Dark Shadow said:
its not extra thru UPS for signature, if you look at the sticker they leave when tthey attempt to drop a package off it says "signature required" "will re-attempt delivery on...." Ive never paid extra for that goin thru UPS

Yes it is, just because you were nto notified you are paying for it a head of time does not mean it isn't there. Go to their website. It is $1.00 for delivery confirmation, $1.00 for delivery confirmation with signature, and $1.75 if you want an adult to sign for it instead of just anyone at the point of delivery.

I guess im gettin free cuz i honestly dont pay for it,edit,
why would you pay extra for delivery confirm when you get a tracking number for nothing?

ya, fedex will not leave your package no matter what, they try to attempt the next day or you pick it up. ill contact them again tomorrow and see if they are gonna do anything about it.

Fedex leaves packages at my door (front and back) about half the time. I usually get my neighbor to take it before I get home. But it worries the crap out of me when they deliver and no one is home and they leave it there.

usps......has started getting in the habit of leaving stuff hanging in bags on my mailbox. that is across the street from myhouse. I think im going to have to say something because, thats not any good.

UPS, will at least try to hide the stuff, fedex, will leave it right in the open, USPS, will throw it on the ground, drive over ita few times and leave it out in the open

at least thats how it is out here, so anything taht comes fedex, goes to my moms work, i advoid shipping USPS like the pluage(sp) UPS is always welcome here :)

So, is it my responsible that item was lost because i wasnt there when they delivered the item and left the item on the porch and stolen? who's really responsible for this? I'm about to call the UPS again and i'd like to know if I'm in the right position right now to claim my item was stolen and would like to get something back.

Who's to blame really on this kind of situation? Let's leave the seller alone because i know the seller shipped the item w/ proof and i have no problem w/ that. This is now between me and the freaking UPS.

Please help me out what to say or what "reasons" i should say to them. I'm not really good at this and this is my first time that I lost an item.

Thank you.

UPS, FedEX, USPS leaves stuff hidden or inbetween house doors or on back porch when they deliver and seller did not require signature. FedEx and USPS usually have me sign or pick up at location.

Only DHL has left package in front of door not hidden or anything.

siger.gif

lol

the fedex lady that drives around this side of town knows me. i ordered a bunch of stuff from newegg and she was the one that kept delivering the stuff to me. had to sign everytime. usps just leaves shit and drives off. and ups i've had to sign for recently

I remmember one time UPS delivered a package to my apartment and left it under my door mat and guess what. It was a freaking box. duh like nobody was going to see it. :rolleyes:

I've been ordering a lot of parts lately to build a few systems and have had items delivered by the three.(well 4 if u include USPS) USPS leaves the item on our bench on the porch if it won't stuff into the mailbox.. UPS leaves it on the porch and rings the doorbell, and then just leaves... fedex for some odd reason put it out by our barn in the snow, and DHL rang the door bell and waited about 2 mins for me to throw some clothes on and come to the door to sign for the item. I've never shipped with DHL but my few experiences with them have been the most pleasing.

i have no problem with UPS leaving stuff i love UPS.....:) they diliver all of everything i order 1 day erly for some odd reason which i like :) who wouldnt?And it partly has to do with the person shipping it they can specify wether or not to leave it or sign for it..... fed-ex SUCKS they have broke 3 things of mine and could not find my house 7 times!! b/c of them i was sitting up at 2 in the morning on christmas eve building a computer for my lil bro.....USPS is level with UPS as far as i am conserned they are cheap fast and nothing ha been broke or lost....they leve stuff in are package box out side of are house.....and i dont know about DHL

just my 2 cents -incomudro

arock1_3 said:
I remmember one time UPS delivered a package to my apartment and left it under my door mat and guess what. It was a freaking box. duh like nobody was going to see it. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! :p I could imagine seeing that when you get home just thinking...geez! That is hilarious. Anyhow, I prefer Fedex as far as timing goes. For some reason in my experience UPS has been late twice with my shipments. Fedex is usually on time and delivered before 5pm. UPS usually shows up around 730pm. I hate having to wait around all day for my package. I do like how UPS leaves the packages at the door though in my opinon. The only problem I had with Fedex is when I am not home I have to wait another day to get the package because they take it with them and don't even leave a slip at the door claiming they were here. I have since filed a request with Fedex to leave the package at the door but have yet had anything delivered by them to test it out.

Legally speaking I would not be sure who is at fault. However, if you think about it there is a reason that other shipment carriers require a permission slip to leave at the door. Perhaps they were tired of paying claims which would leave me to believe that UPS is responsible for the cost up to what it was insured for. If it wasn't specifically insured then they guarantee insurance free for up to $100. If I were you I would push it like you have plans on doing. Good luck!

PS... oh yeah, after you get your money from UPS then go kick the crap out of the neighbor kid for stealing your package because you know he did. lol!

arock1_3 said:
They do that every time to me :rolleyes:

Fireplay5 said:
Legally speaking I would not be sure who is at fault. However, if you think about it there is a reason that other shipment carriers require a permission slip to leave at the door. Perhaps they were tired of paying claims which would leave me to believe that UPS is responsible for the cost up to what it was insured for. If it wasn't specifically insured then they guarantee insurance free for up to $100. If I were you I would push it like you have plans on doing. Good luck!

PS... oh yeah, after you get your money from UPS then go kick the crap out of the neighbor kid for stealing your package because you know he did. lol!

yea, i tried calling them today and they said they are in the process of investigating the problem (i have no idea what they are trying to do here) and they said it will take 2-8 business days. I was really pissed when i got home and my package wasnt there. If i ever found out who stole my item, i'm pretty sure i'll beat the crap out of 'em. I hate trolls and thief. anyways, all I can do now is wait a couple days and call them again and check for status of my file complaint :(

Fedex wont leave a package here (Beaumont) without a signature. I have to haunt the front door all day so not to miss it. I hate it.UPS always knocks and drops- on the front door. I have never in had a package 'taken' from my doorstep. BUT I live in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Beta: If your stuff was taken by someone, he may open it up and discover he doesnt know what it is, or how to use it, and try to return it.

"If your stuff was taken by someone, he may open it up and discover he doesnt know what it is, or how to use it, and try to return it." - MAngelo

I doubt that a thief will return it, steals for his own use, to sell it, or if they do not know anyone to sell it to they just toss the stuff.

Fortunately, I live behind my family's grocery store. All my packages are signed for by my brother. Sorry to hear what happend to you, though. Hopefully, UPS can compensate you in some way for thier mistake.

dragon said:
I doubt that a thief will return it, steals for his own use, to sell it, or if they do not know anyone to sell it to they just toss the stuff.

True, there would be no reason that a thief would risk being caught to just return the item they stole in the first place. Unless you had a thief with a conscience! lol... then lucky for you, but I wouldn't count on it - unfortunately. Your best bet is to get reimbursed through UPS, and repurchase the product. It does suck that you have to wait so long to do so though, not to mention this will forever put a bad taste in your mouth for ordering online.

ya i learned my lesson and beside, i just moved to this place like 3-4 months ago and i dont really know our neighbor that well. "there's always a snake in the jungle"

but next time, ill have them ship to my work place instead just to be safe. Thnx for the tips and comfort guys, much appreciated. will update you when something comes up. lataz

Recently UPS has started to deliver my packages in early afternoon instead of 7pm or 10pm at night. And they always have a habit of leaving my packages in the front door. I don't live in dangerous neighborhood, but neither is it really safe to leave packges at the front door since plants and other stuff gets stolen sometimes. I prefer to get packages through Fedex or USPS. At least they ring the doorbell a couple of times and/or leave a notice for another delivery attempt unlike UPS.

Betauser said:
ya i learned my lesson and beside, i just moved to this place like 3-4 months ago and i dont really know our neighbor that well. "there's always a snake in the jungle"

but next time, ill have them ship to my work place instead just to be safe. Thnx for the tips and comfort guys, much appreciated. will update you when something comes up. lataz
considering the jungle is already a dangerous place that little euphanism makes no sense lol. Maybe 'snake in the grass' or something.

and yes, today again, I didn't haunt the front door effectively enough- FEDEX managed to ring the doorbell the 10 min I was away from the door (think #2) so I wait a day....

I want a latex copy of me to stand at the door for FEDEX delivieries

MAngelo said:
e-u-p-h-e-m-i-s-m

if you're going to correct someone....
You probably went to dictionary.com for that anyway...and it wasnt a spelling error I was correcting.

huxley said:
You probably went to dictionary.com for that anyway...and it wasnt a spelling error I was correcting.

no, I just happened to learn English grammar and spelling.....

you probably NEED to go to dictionary.com........

LOL...

Anyways Suprised UPS Didnt hide it. My UPS Guy usually hides in behind the bush or in the pottery pots.. :D

i remember when i bought my iriver and i was at school when it was delivered. They left a note on my door and it said they hid it on the porch with an arrow pointing up. Took me about 10 minutes after going inside and opening the front door again is when i saw it... it was practically on my roof. Go Go FedEx Home delivery

Cold Dark Shadow said:
USPS i know did and my package got stolen and they did jack about, I know my UPS guy pretty well, i get stuff all week long, so if im not home he knows my niebor will take it for me. I like UPS atleast around here, theyre very nice guys/gals, they always have a smile and willing to help with anything

USPS did the same to me and then pretended that they weren't at fault because it wasn't insured. I Googled the USPS rules and regulations book and found that USPS is NOT allowed to leave UNINSURED packages in UNSECURED areas (ie front porch, ungated apartment buildings, etc). When I pointed that out they cut me a money order for the loss and never again did they leave a package at my door.

I suggest to anyone that gets a USPS package stolen because it's left at their door to pursure restitution! If you point out that it's their fault and shove their rules and regulations in their face - THEY WILL PAY! I'm sure they know the rules well, they're just banking that no one will actually know better. Of course, before you throw the book in their face (so to speak) get the mail person to admit they left it at the door (which is easy to get if you accuse them not delivering it at all). Once you have that, you show them a copy of the rules and you win. It worked for me.

Edit for direct link:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/D042.htm#Xbj15371

Go to 7.0 Carrier Release
"An uninsured parcel may not be left in an unprotected place, such as a porch or stairway, unless the addressee has filed a written order, or the mailer has endorsed the parcel “Carrier—Leave If No Response.” The endorsement must appear directly below the return address as specified in M012."

So if they leave it at your door where it's accessible to anyone and they didn't leave a slip that you signed to allow them to do so, they're at fault. All you have to do is get some receipts to show the value of the item and you get your money.

20 years ago when I had a FFL Lisc and worked double shifts I could have UPS leave a couple shotguns, a rifle or two, several handguns with 20,000 rnds of ammo on my porch on a given day, and nothing ever turned up missing when I got home at 9:30 pm.

In my neighborhood both FedEx & UPS will leave PC parts on my porch. Some rules change neighborhood to neighborhood. Nothing ever turned up missing.

Sometimes my Lab would get the mail, he hever stole anything but he would shread the bills and they would blow away ......

Back