UPS Hates Coming To Your House

HardOCP News

[H] News
UPS hates coming to your house. The company is tacking on surcharges for residential delivery to prove it. :(

Last week, in advance of its quarterly earnings report, UPS admitted that it over-spent on holiday shipping in 2014 and that it wouldn’t make that mistake again. Today, with those quarterly earnings announced, the company announced how it’s going to make back some of its money — by tacking on surcharges for residential deliveries.

I hear there's a competitor that would love to take their business.

Hasn't it always been more expensive to ship to a residential address?

I use FedEX whenever possible. Quicker, cheaper and better (at least here locally). Our UPS driver kicked our dachshund. Stupid bi#%h!

Hasn't it always been more expensive to ship to a residential address?

Yes, so this is just a "woe is me" from UPS. If you need to renegotiate your shipping rates with amazon etc. fine, why make a big stink out of it?

The centralized delivery locations could be a good thing as long as it's setup to be something like 1-2 miles urban, 3-4 miles max suburbs and maybe negotiate something with USPS for rural deliveries?

This is just what the USPS needs to hear. The last couple of packages I've gotten have been shipped cross country by UPS and then turned over to the USPS when they got here to town. I wondered about that.

Whatever, I'll just have everything UPS shipped to work from now on. No skin off my back.

Around here, USPS is shit and UPS and FedEx are stellar.

I've had to contact Amazon for 3 lost packages and 4 late deliveries since Nov of last year... and all of those were ones handed over to USPS.

All the ones delivered through UPS and FedEx got here on time without issue.

The last thing I'd want to see is USPS take over even more, not with how shitty the service is.

I bet they have to eat a lot more claims on insurance with residential. My local paper reported a lot of "Stolen" packages this holiday season.

I bet a lot of people say something was "stolen" so they can get an extra copy of whatever they ordered.

Maybe Amazon and NewEgg will use FedEx now. I'm tired of having my packages stolen because UPS refuses to bring them to the leasing office and drops them at my door for the whole complex to see. I've already had two movies and a motherboard stolen in the last year because of UPS.

Around me UPS is shit, FedEx shows up before 1 pm 90% of the time, and USPS always delivers on time before 1pm as well. I would rather ship USPS to my house lately since it cost less and I pretty much know exactly what time they deliver everyday so its completely predictable.

I use FedEX whenever possible. Quicker, cheaper and better (at least here locally). Our UPS driver kicked our dachshund. Stupid bi#%h!

Why was your dog outside when you were expecting a delivery? I highly doubt that was unprovoked, especially with how willful and yappy a dach can be. I used to deliver pizza/sandwiches and you would not believe how many aggressive dogs you have to deal with. People order delivery food and then think it is perfectly ok to have their dog chained up next to the front door, forcing the delivery driver to make a judgment call of the mental state of a strange dog who is locked on a trespasser carrying food.

UPS as a company is terrible, but their drivers (most of them) are hard working and get paid dick. They are all one mistake away from getting fired at any moment because of UPS's hardline stance towards employment. Is your driver not leaving packages where he should? Talk to him/her and tell them it is important where the package is left. Do you live in an apartment with shady neighbors and only a front door to leave a package? NOT the driver's fault. Treat delivery drivers, mailmen, garbagemen, waiters, fast food employees, etc with respect and not as "the help" and you just might get what you want.

Dogs are awful animals, but it's really not the fault of the dog that it's doing something wrong. Mostly its an owner thing, but since a lot of dogs tend to be terrible, it says a little about the types of people who would keep one as a pet. If you've ever been to a dog person's house you'll see there's usually a lot of poop around. Plus, there's the going in and out thing so there are a lot of fleas. It's like living in filth to have them.

FedEx charges more to ship to residences as well. It just makes logistical sense. Businesses are located on main roads and are already probably getting a stop from other packages, so it's extremely low cost for them to add packages to that stop.

Residential packages are a wild card. They may not be going down your street at all otherwise. It's probably chaos plotting out a residential route each day.

This is actually a non issue I'm in the transportation and logistics business and this is common practice for each an every carrier that makes any kind of delivery whether it is residential, commercial or industrial. In fact just last month Fed EX increased their pricing across the board by going to a cubic volume based pricing.

ugh...my local usps is very hit or miss. as in sometimes they manage to hit the door with the package and sometimes they miss and hit the house.

UPS guy might have stolen a delivery recently too but I actually think he delivered it to my shady B@t$% neighbor and she stole it.

Finally, I also have a dachshund and she is 8.4 pounds of fury so I kind of feel for the drivers dealing with that. my doxie wants to kill everybody at first (if she was a big dog she would totally be a murderer) then she falls in love with them but I would still kick the ass of anyone who lifted their foot at her

Treat delivery drivers, mailmen, garbagemen, waiters, fast food employees, etc with respect and not as "the help" and you just might get what you want.

My UPS driver is awesome. Always super friendly. Very talkative and awesome. Now, we're friends. If we don't answer, he comes in and leaves the box inside. Sometimes, he'll come in for a soda or use the bathroom or just chat for a while. We've had him and his wife over for a couple parties.

We've gotten stuff that was supposed to go to USPS delivered by him because he saw our name on it and just brought it by. Saved a couple days on delivery. Great guy.

USPS driver is retiring after 25 years. Great lady. She had to stop by and say she is going to miss us and that we were some of her favorite people and wanted to stop by and say hi every once in a while. :)

I treat people with respect and I find I get the same respect back. Went out the other day for drinks. My wife had a margarita (I told her they were gay), and the waitress and her talked for a bit, then the drink came. Along with the 'rest' from the blender. When she finished the margarita, she poured the 'rest' in. Filled it up again. 2 for the price of 1. :) Yea, I benefited from that. :D

Treat people well, even if you only see them for a few seconds every once in a while, and it goes a long way. Might not get preferential treatment, but you don't get shitty treatment. I'm not that outgoing, but I still am a nice guy.

Our delivery services are all pretty good.

For me FedEx is always iffy, depends on the type of service mostly....the Ground and Home guys are fine, the Express guy never leaves the package on the first attempt unless someone is literally standing in the yard.

UPS is our best, the drivers are very nice guys and love my dogs. They always get a treat from the driver.

Post office has improved over time and generally always leaves the package on the first go.

If they need to charge more, so be it.

In my experience (which definitely varies depending on area and specific drivers), UPS is the worst of the 3 major players, and USPS is by FAR my favorite service. The only time I don't choose it is when something is too large or heavy for it to be priced competitively, but for most stuff, it is competitive.

With so many varied experiences, it really shows that it's not really the service - it's the people. Some are shitty and doing the minimum to get paid and others go above and beyond for the same pay...

UPS hates coming to your house. The company is tacking on surcharges for residential delivery to prove it. :(
Oh well, time to go back to FedEx, which already does this for residential deliveries (though the bonus is you do get Saturday delivery).
UPS has always been pricier than FedEx for me anyways (and for inexpensive items ~ <= 1lbs, I just use USPS).

Treat people well, even if you only see them for a few seconds every once in a while, and it goes a long way. Might not get preferential treatment, but you don't get shitty treatment. I'm not that outgoing, but I still am a nice guy.

Exactly right. I worked most of my life in the service industry, the aforementioned delivery driver, fast food, and as a waiter for 6 years. I am in IT support now, but in a lot of ways it is still a "service industry". People still sometimes treat me as The Help ("Computer Janitor" I sometimes sarcastically call myself) even though I have 2 degrees and could learn their jobs in a day, while they couldn't learn mine in a lifetime. The people that are friendly and respectful get everything I can possibly give them. I will go out of my way to make sure they are happy. The people who are disrespectful get the bare minimum, and get billed the maximum. This attitude is prevalent across ALL industries where a employee comes in contact with a customer, so if you are the kind of person who thinks that yelling at a service industry employee is going to get you the desired result, think again. You are just guaranteeing yourself bad service.

Around here, USPS is shit and UPS and FedEx are stellar.

I've had to contact Amazon for 3 lost packages and 4 late deliveries since Nov of last year... and all of those were ones handed over to USPS.

All the ones delivered through UPS and FedEx got here on time without issue.

The last thing I'd want to see is USPS take over even more, not with how shitty the service is.

Same here the second the packages gets handed off to USPS because of that smartpost shit, ESPECIALLY if the delivery date falls on the weekend, your package is fucked. USPS weekend workers are fucking lying scumbags.

FedEx is better anyways IMO. Online tools are the best and they have ground delivery that's far faster than UPS. UPS operates by a clock, FedEx actually tries to get your package to you as quickly as possible.

USPS is when it doesn't matter. I rolled the dice yesterday on their express mail...got fucked with a 2 day delivery guarantee. Knew I should have done FedEx Standard Overnight, but nooooo I had to try to cheap out and save $20.

This is just what the USPS needs to hear. The last couple of packages I've gotten have been shipped cross country by UPS and then turned over to the USPS when they got here to town. I wondered about that.
They all have this "service". They either hand it off to USPS at some point I the delivery.

I've had bad experiences with the USPS end of things in the past (no correlation between tracking #s, so "that # means nothing to us, so we don't know, but it must be UPS's fault, so call them"...UPS - "USPS has it, so it's their problem...call them"...for 2 weeks after USPS had my package...less than 150 miles away from me I might add). :mad:
I think they've sorted out most if not all of the issues with the handoff, but it still takes longer when USPS gets involved. :(

Dogs are awful animals, but it's really not the fault of the dog that it's doing something wrong. Mostly its an owner thing, but since a lot of dogs tend to be terrible, it says a little about the types of people who would keep one as a pet. If you've ever been to a dog person's house you'll see there's usually a lot of poop around. Plus, there's the going in and out thing so there are a lot of fleas. It's like living in filth to have them.

That is why I love cats and constantly try to find homes for the abandoned ones in my neighborhood. They at least have the courtesy to go poop,in a box and never threaten anything that does not threaten them. My ghetto neighborhood is full of pos dog owners who leave them barking all night long. Called the cops and they did not do anything about it. To be fair, my neighborhood also has lots of responsible dog owners, but I am surrounded by the bad ones.

Maybe Amazon and NewEgg will use FedEx now. I'm tired of having my packages stolen because UPS refuses to bring them to the leasing office and drops them at my door for the whole complex to see. I've already had two movies and a motherboard stolen in the last year because of UPS.
I just always ship them to a near by UPS store and pick up my packages there. Never have to worry about it being stolen plus don't have to play the check to see if it was delivered game with my front door.

They all have this "service". They either hand it off to USPS at some point I the delivery.

I've had bad experiences with the USPS end of things in the past (no correlation between tracking #s, so "that # means nothing to us, so we don't know, but it must be UPS's fault, so call them"...UPS - "USPS has it, so it's their problem...call them"...for 2 weeks after USPS had my package...less than 150 miles away from me I might add). :mad:
I think they've sorted out most if not all of the issues with the handoff, but it still takes longer when USPS gets involved. :(
Sort of by UPS' cheap design. Refuses to deliver to sparsely populated areas so they just hand it off to USPS, ofc that requires a need label to be added so the item gets entered into their database and reshipped and who knows if the UPS person cares enough to double check everything.

Post Office is a total rip off I was jewed out so many times shipping heavy items priority.
Plus they are Bankrupt and the job sucks.....You can't tell me all those girls on our route like walking through snow to delivery junk mail...

Yup, there are a few responsible dog owners, but there's a big difference in having a pet go outside frequently where it gets into contact with parasites and keeping one inside. (Though there are indoor/outdoor cats...poor kitties!) Sadly most of my experience with dog people has been pretty gross. Fleas jumping on me, poop-filled basements, poop outside second floor windows that open onto porch roofs, poop all over yards. People who have had disgusting litter boxes that they don't clean up frequently were usually combination dog and cat owners. It's why one of the big warning alarms in starting a relationship is if a person has a dog.

What the hell is this shit? I have two Pembroke Welsh Corgis and they're amazing animals. I can't imagine a better pet. Super smart, easy to train, never go in the house, keep watch over the place. They're like having another person around. Maybe the people you know are just going with shitty breeds.

Both the Sugar Land and Rosenberg USPS are fuckfaces though.

They will not under any circumstances deliver a package to your door.

If it says signature at delivery is required, they will leave a note saying that in your mailbox, and you then have to drive 15 mins to the post office, wait in line 30 mins, and then sign for your package and drive home.

If it is too heavy (tried to have them deliver 40lb bags of litter), they will leave a note saying its too heavy and to pick it up.

If its too big to fit in the community mailbox or the keys are all taken, they again will tell you to go pick it up at the post office.

If its just SLIGHTLY too big to fit into the community mailbox, they will bend the box in the middle and jam it in and MAKE it fit. Thanks! Now you have to again go to the post-office to declare it damaged on delivery and wait for a replacement from Amazon.

Problem is simply one of culture. I have a hard time believing that UPS isn't making bank as it is, considering their drivers make an absolute fortune for what is unskilled labor (literally any able-bodied person of average intelligence with virtually no training can drive a truck and drop off packages... its literally a glorified pizza delivery boy). And USPS, they have never even accepted a concept of customer service, and I was really hoping they would go out of business. Ugh... :(

If it says signature at delivery is required, they will leave a note saying that in your mailbox, and you then have to drive 15 mins to the post office, wait in line 30 mins, and then sign for your package and drive home.

If it is too heavy (tried to have them deliver 40lb bags of litter), they will leave a note saying its too heavy and to pick it up.

This reply is for your whole post but I only quoted some of it... This is all dependent on your specific office and driver. I've had all of these things happen with UPS and FedEx, too. FedEx has been the worst about it for me, though none of the 3 are usually that bad in my experience.

UPS is outstanding in my area. Packages typically arrive a day earlier than scheduled, the drivers are great, and they ALWAYS deliver to the correct unit in my loft building. FedEx is a joke. About half the time, their drivers don't know the gate and building codes so they don't deliver on time. Also, FedEx won't take pre-paid packages marked for pick up from residences. They'll only pick up from businesses. I can leave a package at my door with a UPS label and the drivers take it every time.

USPS for me is pretty good but like others have said it comes down to the individual. When my regular guy is working, everything goes smoothly. But I can instantly tell when it's a replacement because he is out sick or on vacation or whatever. Delivery time goes to hell, sometimes even misses days. Sometimes they will jam the new mail on top of the outgoing mail, even if the flag is up on my box. But when regular guy is working, smooth as silk and like clockwork.

UPS and Fedex are both good. I've always wondered if my UPS guy hates me because of the frequency the Mrs and I order online. It's at least once a week. No dogs running around my yard though, just some bunnies and occasionally my cat.

Back