• Yes I have one and would recommend one for any expensive setup

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No I don't use one

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Whats an UPS? I like Pie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All,

Not sure if this would be the best section (looked and there is no Power back up section) but I'm wondering what the best UPS system is today and how many of you all use one? I just bought some expensive vid cards and other stuff and wouldn't want them to get fried.

Thanks,

dc

I generally prefer the APC brand but CyberPower isn't too bad either. I was able to get an APC 1500va unit shipped for roughly $150.

the best systems are out of my budget, so I use consumer class UPS's. The best bang for the buck, imo is Cyberpower. Sometimes you can catch a 1200-1300va unit for <$120 shipped.

I use an APC SmartUPS 1400 XL. I believe I got it refurbished for under $200 shipped a 3 or so years back. This is a server grade pure sine wave ups with around 2 times the battery capacity (and weight) of most consumer units. I use 2 12V 22AH batteries. For a 100W or so load I get around 2 hours of runtime (well the last time I checked).

I would definitely always use a UPS on computer equipment. A cheap consumer UPS is fine to make it through the power bumps and short outages and it will pay for itself the first time you get a power bump. Computers don't like to be shut down badly, and often will fail. PSU, hard drive, motherboard, w/e decides to go. Either way a UPS is cheaper than any of those things.

If you want extended run time (hours) I recommend an inverter-charger + any amount of batteries you want to throw at it. (when you get into RV/car batteries you get more bang for your buck too) Though that's a bit more complicated then plugging it in and shoving it under a desk, as you will be dealing with big lead acid batteries that will require more care and some basic maintenance, as well as safety steps.

I use a UPS on nearly every expensive piece of equipment.

In part this is because I don't have faith in the cleanliness of my utility power. California has frequent voltage dips, which can be quite hard of electronics.

A UPS is inexpensive compared to my electronics attached to it.

I run 3 of these. 1500VA units on three PCs.

APC%20Sua1500.jpg

Have had a UPS on my computers for decades now.

There is one caveat to running a UPS though. Be sure to install the monitoring software and get it working. No point to having a UPS if it's only just going to delay the abrupt power off in case of a lengthy power outage.

Thanks guys,

I just found out the 2nd SLi slot in my Mobo was toasted today. I will be getting a new rig and giving my old one to my bro-in-law so I am going to add a nice UPS. Thanks for the help.

dc

I don't bother with an UPS, straight DC power.

Nice, -48v retro fit PSUs? I'd love to do that some time. Though that changes the way I'd have to do power distribution. Need DC fuse panel etc... PDUs and 120v outlets are just so much easier. :p

Eaton PowerWare and Emerson/Liebert > APC in my opinion.

I heard this too, next UPS I buy I will probably look at Eaton.

I run 3 of these. 1500VA units on three PCs.

APC%20Sua1500.jpg

My favorite unit ever, I swear we have more of these at clients than any other unit.

I have one on my main rig, and another on my server/router/modem/dvr/gaming systems

Unfortunately, it is also the reason I figured out that every bedroom in my house, both bathrooms, and my basement, are all on the same line, since every time my wife runs the hair dryer the AVR on it goes nuts.

Back