Upgrading system. How to transfer current Win 10 Pro key to it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Despotes, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Despotes

Despotes Gawd

I'm going to install a new mobo and cpu, What's the best way to transfer my current digital license to the clean install to it? Should I create a Microsoft account to tie my current license to this account somehow?
    Update: I just linked my Product Key to my Microsoft Acct.
    So, after a clean install on my new system, will there will be an option to Activate using my Microsoft Acct?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Just log in with your new account during the setup and it will activated on the first boot.

3. Despotes

Despotes Gawd

Nice. Thanks.

4. Rustler

Rustler Limp Gawd

I wiped my system and logged in when I was installing Windows 10 1909, then I upgraded from a 4 core to a FX8320, its an older system but it serves me well. I did not have to activate after the processor change.

5. mICKEL

mICKEL Limp Gawd

The last motherboard bought had issues with two mvme drives. I put an old sata ssd in it and then it was working fine. I replaced the motherboard and than the second drive I bought is working fine. Widows would not reactive and I did associate it with my account. I had to call them. I bought a windows seven key they said. Amazon refunded me. I had to buy another key.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020 at 12:25 AM