Upgrading system. How to transfer current Win 10 Pro key to it?

Despotes

Gawd
I'm going to install a new mobo and cpu, What's the best way to transfer my current digital license to the clean install to it? Should I create a Microsoft account to tie my current license to this account somehow?
Update: I just linked my Product Key to my Microsoft Acct.
So, after a clean install on my new system, will there will be an option to Activate using my Microsoft Acct?

Last edited:
Just log in with your new account during the setup and it will activated on the first boot.

I wiped my system and logged in when I was installing Windows 10 1909, then I upgraded from a 4 core to a FX8320, its an older system but it serves me well. I did not have to activate after the processor change.

The last motherboard bought had issues with two mvme drives. I put an old sata ssd in it and then it was working fine. I replaced the motherboard and than the second drive I bought is working fine. Widows would not reactive and I did associate it with my account. I had to call them. I bought a windows seven key they said. Amazon refunded me. I had to buy another key.

Last edited:
Simply logging in to my account didn't work. Using the troubleshooter didn't either. Calling Microsoft didn't even work. Cs said I had to use my key code from my Win 7 install and use the change my product serial number option. Luckily after all these years I found it in my e-mail folder and it worked!

I swapped my mobo and CPU from intel to AMD and didn't have to reactivate.

There are people who actually use a microsoft account to sign in to windows? Now I've seen everything.

There are people who actually use a microsoft account to sign in to windows? Now I've seen everything.

I found it to be quite convenient after doing a full reinstall last week. Lots of settings and preferences pulled over automatically.

awhile ago I ran into this and I logged into my account online and did something there .. maybe remove old PC if it's showing and see if your new setup is listed .. ? It's been awhile like I said, but I farted around in my account and got it straightened out .. if nothing else, you might have to shell out $10-15 and get a new key as maybe your digital license was for one PC use ... maybe

If your key was not a retail (as in it was OEM), it won't work on another machine (motherboard). If it was retail, you should have your key somewhere, type 'activation' in the search bar.

Back