• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrading system budget is $300

no_control

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
1,429
Kid has already purchased a 5770 and will be reusing his 650w PSU and 900 case. I have a couple of HDDs I'm giving him.

Basically he needs CPU, Mobo, RAM, HSF

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

PC Gaming (BC2, etc...), HTPC client, Hulu, and web/school.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$300 out the door

3) Where do you live?

SoCal

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, Mobo, RAM, HSF

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

XFX 5770, 650w PSU, 320gb HDD, KB & Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?

Maybe

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

28" Hanns-G 1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

1-2 months

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

n/a

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Yep W7 Pro x64

Doesn't matter if its AMD or Intel just looking for bang for the buck.
 
$100 - AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W
$105 - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$100 - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

$310.

Done and done.
 
1-2 months is a long time for prices to change, post back when you are building the pc within a matter of 2 weeks or less (if not closer)
 
1-2 months is a long time for prices to change, post back when you are building the pc within a matter of 2 weeks or less (if not closer)

How about I'm buying the parts tonight and might decide to assemble it in the next 2-3 months....better?
 
That Frys deal is damn good. I hate that I'm not near a Frys or MicroCenter. Never get the good deals.
 
I'd go with a different mobo/cpu bundle if I was you. Are you anywhere near a frys? Something like this one would be a lot better and cheaper than the mobo/cpu listed above. http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=32664&adid=9495387&subid=30096395&type=
Just make sure you get there before they go out of stock, or before the sale price expires. I actually was going to buy that same exact combo, but couldn't get to a Fry's on Wednesday (the day of the sale). Went back on Thursday to find that they had plenty of both the motherboard and the processor in stock, but it was $20 more expensive then advertised. Still not a bad deal, but more than I was willing to pay. Usually the advertised price is one-day only; even if it doesn't specifically say so, assume that it is.
 
How about I'm buying the parts tonight and might decide to assemble it in the next 2-3 months....better?

Not really because now you're actually holding onto hardware that you are not gonna use or build. During those 2-3 months, you'll see price drops, better parts showing up during those 2-3 months for the same price you paid for the old parts, etc, etc. I mean, why pay for and hold onto parts for a PC that you're not gonna build 2-3 months from now? You can WAIT 2-3 months, buy the parts then and you'll usually get a faster PC or better quality parts that way.

So in other words, you're way better off waiting a month till you actually build. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time recommending parts or combo deals that may be overpriced, outperformed, outdated, or out of stock in 2-3 months.

Also what 650W PSU do you have?
 
Just make sure you get there before they go out of stock, or before the sale price expires. I actually was going to buy that same exact combo, but couldn't get to a Fry's on Wednesday (the day of the sale). Went back on Thursday to find that they had plenty of both the motherboard and the processor in stock, but it was $20 more expensive then advertised. Still not a bad deal, but more than I was willing to pay. Usually the advertised price is one-day only; even if it doesn't specifically say so, assume that it is.

Ya know I Figured I Was SOL on the 1055T & MSI 890GXM combo for 225 during there anniversary sale since I am not near a fry's & it took my mom till the last day to go in for me.. Well they still had em. & That was at the Vegas Fry's. So the OP should have pretty good luck with that.
 
Back
Top