• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading/replacing computer

Redshift

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
74
Q6600
4GB of ddr2 ram
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775
8800 GTX

What are my options for upgrading? I'd like to save money and possibly keep my GPU and CPU and replace ram and board, any suggestions?

Also SLI? or upgrade it completly?

Also if upgrading graphics card, what card would be good without bottlenecking my system.

This is for gaming.
 
Last edited:
Whats your budget? I would advise against spending money to upgrade your mobo and ram and still use your old cpu. If you are going to spend that much then you might as well just upgrade it all and sell the whole system.
What resolution do you play at? What games do you play? What PSU do you have? What HDD are you using? What makes you think you need an upgrade? Are games running sluggishly? Also what OS are you running? You left a lot of details out about your system so that is why I am asking so many questions.
 
Yes, please answer all of Shadowssong's questions so that we can help you better.

Otherwise, it's a waste of time trying to help.

Oh and is that Q6600 overclocked?
 
Whats your budget? I would advise against spending money to upgrade your mobo and ram and still use your old cpu. If you are going to spend that much then you might as well just upgrade it all and sell the whole system.
What resolution do you play at? What games do you play? What PSU do you have? What HDD are you using? What makes you think you need an upgrade? Are games running sluggishly? Also what OS are you running? You left a lot of details out about your system so that is why I am asking so many questions.

750$ Yea i assumed that my system would bottleneck a new GPU.

I'm running Windows 7, I'm going to be playing the new FF14 mmo and medal of honor, playing bad company 2 and medium settings. starcraft 2, basically newer games.

PSU Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA
 
Yes, please answer all of Shadowssong's questions so that we can help you better.

Otherwise, it's a waste of time trying to help.

Oh and is that Q6600 overclocked?

No, not over clocked, I bought the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink 3 years ago to find out it didn't fit the motherboard.
 
You didn't answer one question: What's the resolution of your monitor?
 
$160 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
$80 - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AM2+ AMD 785G mATX Motherboard
$290 - XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
---
Total: $530 plus tax and shipping

Reuse your PSU, HDD, case, and RAM.
 
$160 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
$80 - Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AM2+ AMD 785G mATX Motherboard
$290 - XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
---
Total: $530 plus tax and shipping

Reuse your PSU, HDD, case, and RAM.

I'm wondering though, will my system bottleneck a new GPU? like the HD 5870? If not, will it be worth it just to upgrade the GPU and leave everything else? I want this for gaming solely, what do you think>
 
If you overclocked your q6600 it probably wouldn't bottleneck at 5870 too much. Either go with danny's suggestion or go with a nice cooler and a 5870 and oc your q6600 to 3.4+.
 
I'm wondering though, will my system bottleneck a new GPU? like the HD 5870? If not, will it be worth it just to upgrade the GPU and leave everything else? I want this for gaming solely, what do you think>

At stock speeds, yes the Q6600 will bottleneck the HD 5850 and HD 5870. Plus I don't trust that Rosewill to be capable of powering the HD 5870. HD 5850 yes, HD 5870 no.

The Q6600 OC'd past 3Ghz will be less of a bottleneck but still a bottleneck.

So unless you can OC the CPU FIRST then no point in getting a new GPU, especially for 1920x1200 gaming.
 
At stock speeds, yes the Q6600 will bottleneck the HD 5850 and HD 5870. Plus I don't trust that Rosewill to be capable of powering the HD 5870. HD 5850 yes, HD 5870 no.

The Q6600 OC'd past 3Ghz will be less of a bottleneck but still a bottleneck.

So unless you can OC the CPU FIRST then no point in getting a new GPU, especially for 1920x1200 gaming.

I got the CPU to OC to 3.0, so are you sure my 750W PSU wouldn't be able to power the HD 5870? Is it because I'm OC'ing my Q6600?
 
I got the CPU to OC to 3.0, so are you sure my 750W PSU wouldn't be able to power the HD 5870? Is it because I'm OC'ing my Q6600?

Sorry I was confusing your Rosewill with another crappier Rosewill. That PSU should be ok for a HD 5870.
 
Back
Top