Upgrading PC

Spidar

n00b
Hello all,
I want to upgrade my current PC and was hoping to get some suggestions on parts. Currently using a intel q6600 cpu, ABIT IP35pro mobo. I want to upgrade some parts that will hopefully last me around 4+ years. I've answered the questions template below. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to assist.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

======================
1) What will you be doing with this PC?
Gaming( CS:GO, DotA, future games) -- care more about performance than eyecandy, Web/email
2) What's your budget?
$700-800
3) Which country do you live in? San Francisco, CA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, Mobo, and RAM, 120hz+ monitor
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
Audigy 2zs sound card, Nvidia GTX470, Corsair CX850M PSU, Corsair Obsidian 550D case, Samsung 850 EVO SSD
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Plan to get 23-24 inch monitor w/ 120+hz
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 4 weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
No specific features (SATA for HDs, PCIe for vcard)
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Windows 7 64bit

Wait a few more weeks and ask for advice then. Intel is releasing their new Skylake CPU and motherboard. Since you're starting from such an old setup, you might as well skip DDR3 based platforms and go straight for DDR4 for cheaper long-term RAM upgrades and support.

I'm revisiting this question now that the new Skylakes are out. How are they performing for those of you who have them? Any recommendations as far as what I should upgrade to?

There's unfortunately a bit of a price gouging going at the moment in regards to the Skylake CPUs. So an older Haswell setup would be cheaper at the moment while only being roughly 10% slower in games compared to Skylake. Here's a quick and dirty build:
PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 ($198.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate ($80.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport ($79.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $359.95
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

EDIT: Also, your PSU isn't that great. HardOCP's review of the 750W version of that PSU (the CX-M use the same platform as the CX) was not flattering:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/#.Vgyw68tViko

Thanks for the advice! -- Either going to wait for the prices to drop or go for a something similar to what you've suggested.

Back