Upgrading notebook videocard? (R300Z)

Minus000

Limp Gawd
I have a compaq R300Z. When I bought the laptop three or four months ago the Geforce4 420 Go was good enough but I need more power now. I belive that the Geforce4 Go uses a standardized slot. On the compaq webpage it lists the 420 and 64meg 440 being interchangalbe but does anyone know if the Geforce4 4200 can be installed? If no one knows firsthand does anyone have any experience trying to tackle this problem? I will live with what I have but would like to attemp the possible upgrade. Thanks.

nope; its just a nforce 3 chipset with onboard video...... cant be upgraded.
Its still an awesome laptop tho.

Thanks. I am pleased with it. I sold my desktop when I had really cut back on my video game consumption but I find lately their are a couple of games I want to play on PC. Most still actually run on the lowely Geforce 420 GO just not fast and without vertex and pixel shaders.

Anyone else think we should have a sticky in this forum saying "Do you have an Alienware or XPS? No? Then your video card can't be upgraded."

TheScott2K said:
Anyone else think we should have a sticky in this forum saying "Do you have an Alienware or XPS? No? Then your video card can't be upgraded."

Change the 'Alienware' to 'Clevo' and I agree. :D

IcedEmotion said:
Change the 'Alienware' to 'Clevo' and I agree. :D

I was under the impression that the newer Area51ms with the upgradable video cards weren't rebadged Clevos like the older Alienware laptops. Did I hear wrong?

TheScott2K said:
I was under the impression that the newer Area51ms with the upgradable video cards weren't rebadged Clevos like the older Alienware laptops. Did I hear wrong?

From what I understand, the 51m 7700 is a rebadged Clevo D900T. The specs and front panel controls look awfully similar.

I think you're right. How 'bout that.

Anyway, I think "No, you can't upgrade your video card" should be tattooed on 99% of laptop users' foreheads so they don't forget it.

TheScott2K said:
Some Dells can, and with MXM and Axiom gradually entering use, you can't really say that for sure any more...

Ease up already. The first poster was able to answer my question, from that point on their was no need to keep posting in this thread.

Minus000 said:
Ease up already. The first poster was able to answer my question, from that point on their was no need to keep posting in this thread.

That was just meant to be a bit of a sidebar - I wasn't saying you were dumb for now knowing if you could upgrade your video card, I was just noting that enough people are curious about it that it is probably in the top 10 questions asked in this forum.

Back