Upgrading my 8600k

Snowdensjacket

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I'm currently on an 8600k 6 core that I never bothered to OC. I'm not very hard anymore as I'm old now and have a bunch of kids. I never thought I'd need to OC it. Have an RTX 2070 and some ram I don't remember, OCed both of them, with the Ram just lowering the latency settings.

Looking to jump on an RTX 3080 and move from 2560x1080 to 4k.

Right now I'm getting stuttering while I play Warhammer total war and play videos in the background. My videos will stutter with my only six cores.

I can pick up an 8086k for about $300 or I could upgrade the whole system, which I'm fine with. If I do would you guys recommend an Intel 8 core or one of these amd zen systems? I haven't had an amd processor since thunderbird.

I don't use my computer for any productivity and the only thing that will ever stress it out is that I like to watch dlive while I play my games. My kids just play next up hero and minecraft.

Thx

Well if you want to keep things real simple then just get the 8086k. You can then upgrade your platform in about 18 to 24 months when PCIe 5 and ddr5 are out. But if you don't mind building a new system then of course wait on the new Ryzen CPUs in a few weeks and go with an 8, 10 or 12 core.

You can pick between the 8700/8086K, the 9700 and the 9900/K.

The 9900K still packs a lot of punch. Make sure you update your BIOS BEFORE you drop in a 9th gen CPU.

Hyper threading can be counted as 1/4 of a cpu core
8700k and 9700k are so neck and neck in gaming benchmarks it’s not even funny.
I’d go straight to 9900k/ks/kf whatever fits your needs best.
47C9C5A5-DCFE-462E-AC42-807FD18E760F.png

If you try AMD you’ll learn what I did, it sucks.
You can do simultaneous thread eating things on Ryzen easier coming from i5s or older i7s, but it sucks to lose 20-40fps+ gaming.

Save $, maintain your framerate, get a 9900k.
Don’t stop in between, go all the way.
Use process lasso if you have to to hard set 2-4 threads for dlive, give the rest to your games.
Maybe watch your ram useage and bump up if you have to.

Msg me if you sell that 8600k, I know a kid that could use a gaming upgrade.

I can use the 9000 series of processors? I didn't know that. I'll check for a bios update and then read some reviews.

I can use the 9000 series of processors? I didn't know that. I'll check for a bios update and then read some reviews.
You can so long as your board supports it (IE isn't a prebuilt). Which board are you running?

If you're adjusting the RAM timings, etc., you can probably update the bios for 9XXX support. I think everything other than a 9900(k/kf/ks) is a sidegrade. I probably wouldn't upgrade the whole machine just yet.

At least wait and see how Zen3 vs. Rocket Lake shakes out before pulling the trigger on a new system.

If you can update the BIOS with your current CPU installed (and you must have known the exact motherboard that you have in order to update the BIOS or upgrade your CPU in the first place), then the i9-9900K is the only worthwhile CPU upgrade for your system, but only if you can get the CPU new for less than $400. If it costs much more than $400 where you can buy it at, then I'd recommend saving up for a new CPU and motherboard instead.

If the OP is running an 8600k, unless he's on h360 he should be ok thru 9900k at stock clocks.
My sig rig is an Asus z370 board running a 9700kf.
OP post your mobo model.

I've got an asrock z370 killer sli/ac motherboard. Looks like I can get a 9900k for $400 and with a bios update it will work. Though if this zen 3 is coming next month perhaps waiting is the way to go.

That 9900ks sure looks interesting but I can only find it for $1000.

400$ 9900K will probably be on par with a Zen3 for less money, at the cost of core count and power consumption.

New motherboard prices are expensive, you're looking at 200$ approx for a 6 core and 200$ for a midrange board.

The 9900K is an 8 core.

You don't need a KS. A standard 9900K or even a KF is good.

Looking like a 9900k would be a great upgrade. Some extra mhz over my stock 8600k plus two full cores and 8 hyperthreads.

That plus the rtx 3080 and I'm only looking at $1k. Plus that guy above has a good use for the 8600k. Now the wife just has to finish convincing me to spend some of my money on myself haha. I got the opposite problem of so many guys

Reactions: mda
like this
400$ 9900K will probably be on par with a Zen3 for less money, at the cost of core count and power consumption.

New motherboard prices are expensive, you're looking at 200$ approx for a 6 core and 200$ for a midrange board.

The 9900K is an 8 core.

You don't need a KS. A standard 9900K or even a KF is good.

All $ being equal if he can get a better binned KS for the same $ I'd go for it.

But you can't...the KS demands a premium everywhere I've looked. Even in the used market. Often way beyond the value of just having a binned CPU.

Apparently the couple used ones in my area that sold for $375 must have followed what 9900k & 9900kf guys were listing on my local CL.

Msrp of the 9900ks was a couple $ more than 9900k, why are there a bunch of idiots doubling their price when I Google that cpu?

Apparently the couple used ones in my area that sold for $375 must have followed what 9900k & 9900kf guys were listing on my local CL.

Msrp of the 9900ks was a couple $ more than 9900k, why are there a bunch of idiots doubling their price when I Google that cpu?

Lowest ebay pricing is $650 as a starting bid with most of the BIN in the $1000+ range. One with bids is at $300+ with 5 days left. Yeah, I guess you could find someone on FB Marketplace or CL selling one cheaper locally, but that's very hit and miss depending on your location. I checked my local Craigslists and no 9900 anything within 100 miles of me (did see a $350 2080 though...might be worth looking into).

Anyhow, if you're going to get a 9900K, make sure you have the proper cooling, they get toasty very fast, stable but toasty. And, if you do own an ASUS motherboard, they do (although most motherboards do) come with software where if you just click ONE button, the MoBo will automatically overclock the CPU to its maximum speed, in my case it goes to 5..1GHz and can push to 5.2GHz but I'm using a custom loop. A tower with 6 or 7 pipes will properly do the job to get you to 5.0GHz.
This, I have the H110i GTX 280mm corsair AIO, the thing will barely cool my 9900k when overclocked.
I could probably get it with 0 AVX but the higher temps and power isnt worth the trade off for an already extremely fast individual core.

My personal OC is 5.0 all cores w/ 2 avx (takes it down to 4.8 under heavy load), it gets to about 85-90c under benchmark tests and turns my machine into a jet engine.
Standard usage it rarely goes over 65c and is reasonably quiet (the most i've seen it is 75c when I was doing a video encoding).

Based off the prototype testing I'm really excited for this aluminum hunk actually: https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite
Has the benefits of air cooling with capability better than most AIO supposedly.
I'm waiting on reviews of the production model but it's promising enough I'm keeping my eye on it to replace my AIO with it since its over 5 years old now.

I'd watch Slickdeals for an EVGA 280 or 360 clc to pop up.
Not a fan of mail in rebates, but end of the year is coming soon enough.
Microcenter, BH Photo, Newegg has to pay floor tax.

I'd have a hard time believing Zen3 will have an edge over a 9900k for gaming.

What would be nice for watching video in browser is forcing hardware acceleration. Dunno if OPs method supports that or not. I recorded some pair coding sessions internally off my issued Mac and a 8400 I was building out for a kid. The quality was really solid. So for consumer or biz use I've found the on die Intel gpu to have some utility.

OP may or may not be missing that with his 8600k.

I'd watch Slickdeals for an EVGA 280 or 360 clc to pop up.
Not a fan of mail in rebates, but end of the year is coming soon enough.
Microcenter, BH Photo, Newegg has to pay floor tax.

I'd have a hard time believing Zen3 will have an edge over a 9900k for gaming.

What would be nice for watching video in browser is forcing hardware acceleration. Dunno if OPs method supports that or not. I recorded some pair coding sessions internally off my issued Mac and a 8400 I was building out for a kid. The quality was really solid. So for consumer or biz use I've found the on die Intel gpu to have some utility.

OP may or may not be missing that with his 8600k.

Sorry I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I've got a great big copper many heat pipe air cooler with two after market fans in push pull. I did water cooling once, and while I was into it at time I will not be doing so again.

I dunno anything about hardware acceleration on dlive but I pretty much only watch the bears while I game, if I'm not working.

Sorry I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I've got a great big copper many heat pipe air cooler with two after market fans in push pull. I did water cooling once, and while I was into it at time I will not be doing so again.

I dunno anything about hardware acceleration on dlive but I pretty much only watch the bears while I game, if I'm not working.

I'm talking about heat saturation and fan noise on 8c+.
Look at my sig rig, I'm running an air cooled clocked 8c with all Noctua fans.

If you are noise sensitive, populated your setup with Arctic fans. No need to buy Noctua like I did.

10600k is where 9700k/9700k used to live in benchmarks so draw a line right across to the newest cpu.
8600k/9600k was right behind it overclocked, games didn’t change, only gpu was launched so I’d assume not much diff besides raw framerate uplift.

Someone is going to be doing a multi cpu test to see if assumptions about cpu or gpu bottlenecking has changed.
Just sit tight, watch your notifications for subbed YouTube channels.

Also some new guy here will ask why they shouldn’t buy a 3070 for their 3200g, 3570k, etc.

Edit: Someone is already did a gag test for funsies.

Last edited:
Hyper threading can be counted as 1/4 of a cpu core
8700k and 9700k are so neck and neck in gaming benchmarks it’s not even funny.
I’d go straight to 9900k/ks/kf whatever fits your needs best.
View attachment 278225
If you try AMD you’ll learn what I did, it sucks.
You can do simultaneous thread eating things on Ryzen easier coming from i5s or older i7s, but it sucks to lose 20-40fps+ gaming.

Save $, maintain your framerate, get a 9900k.
Don’t stop in between, go all the way.
Use process lasso if you have to to hard set 2-4 threads for dlive, give the rest to your games.
Maybe watch your ram useage and bump up if you have to.

Msg me if you sell that 8600k, I know a kid that could use a gaming upgrade.
lol you posted benches against older Zen processors. games like CSGO, F1 have every Zen part roflstomping the 11900k. Intel does not beat AMD by 30-40 frames at all at best a 1-3FPS range though it's slower on average as well as hotter than the sun.

if he stays with Intel he should wait it out he is not getting much gain upgrading

I necro'd the thread, that wasn't an old chart when it was posted September 2020.

Or running UHD res would probably help the 8600K but it was before the price catastrophe of GPUs.

Back