Upgrading in 2022

FRZ

2[H]4U
I have not kept up with the current CPU market as my X299 system has been chugging along now for 4 years. Since I just picked up a 3090 RTX, was considering giving my PC a total refresh.

My main usage of the desktop is gaming at 1440p, no workstation activity. Even still, I've always liked going with the HEDT platform.

With the advances found in Z690, is there any reason to wait for the HEDT X699 release?

I can also go the AMD route, but the new Intel procs seem to do much better in gaming.

Appreciste any insight :)

Waiting or buying now is totally up to you and your budget, tbh.

Have/had almost the same core components as you, with the CPU @4,5ghz except the GPU which was a 1080ti. Nothing wrong with it even in 2022, taking all things into consideration.
Then i managed to get a 3080Ti via EVGA's queue. And i started to see that i was bottle necking the GPU pretty good (going via benchmarks of various sites ranging from 5-30%). Which I was expecting, however what i wasn't expecting was to have quite a bit of stuttering in some titles...

Originally was planning to wait for the AM5 platform, but the stuttering issue wasn't making things pleasant for me at all. In my case, due to offers and managing to get an Z690 mobo from Amazon at almost the same price as an x570 board that i was eyeing, i went with a 12700KF. Which again was priced lower than a 5800x and the performance is in line or higher of that of a 5900x. No brainer in the end.

And i'm rather pleased with my choice considering, i get higher clocks (without me having to touch anything, not that OCing the 12 gens gets noticable results without increasing the power load exponentially), lower power consumption, higher IPC and thus higher CPU performance. And it solved my stuttering issues. That's a large win in my book.
Not really thrilled that i went from a HEDT platform to a mainstream one and almost payed the same money, but this is the world we live in today...

All in all, personally, if i had to make the decision again, i'd upgrade.

Reactions: FRZ
like this
Thanks for the reply :)

Definitely seems like Z690 is the way to go at the moment as it outpaces the current AMD offering at a lower price point.

I guess I can either just go with the Z690, or wait for the new Intel HEDT and AMD Zen 4 platforms later in the year.

I don't really have a problem waiting, but I just don't want to hold off for the new platforms just to see incremental to no benifit from the current Z690 offering.

Thanks for the reply :)

Definitely seems like Z690 is the way to go at the moment as it outpaces the current AMD offering at a lower price point.

I guess I can either just go with the Z690, or wait for the new Intel HEDT and AMD Zen 4 platforms later in the year.

I don't really have a problem waiting, but I just don't want to hold off for the new platforms just to see incremental to no benifit from the current Z690 offering.
Could also try to score a newer HEDT chip - not as huge a jump, sure, but somewhat newer with some hardware fixes for things that slow stuff down, might make a difference. I've got X299 with a 10980 and it works great with a 3080; can't tell any difference at 1440 or 4k between it and my Z490/10700 or 10900K with similar cards.

Could also try to score a newer HEDT chip - not as huge a jump, sure, but somewhat newer with some hardware fixes for things that slow stuff down, might make a difference. I've got X299 with a 10980 and it works great with a 3080; can't tell any difference at 1440 or 4k between it and my Z490/10700 or 10900K with similar cards.

I could try to find a good deal on a 109xx chip, but they don't seem to be that cheap. If I was going to spend on a new proc, I might as well just upgrade the other parts at the same time.

My main concern is the upgrade path going into the end of the year. It looks like Intel might have even cancelled the X699 altogether in favor of releasing a true workstation/server oriented platform.

I could try to find a good deal on a 109xx chip, but they don't seem to be that cheap. If I was going to spend on a new proc, I might as well just upgrade the other parts at the same time.

My main concern is the upgrade path going into the end of the year. It looks like Intel might have even cancelled the X699 altogether in favor of releasing a true workstation/server oriented platform.
I fear that too. Both the next gen Threadripper and x699 have been rumored to be dead, I’m hoping that’s just supply constraints and they’ll launch when things settle down.

Back