Upgrading from GTX 260 to ... ??

RAD

Limp Gawd
So, I built a computer for my brother some years ago (i7 920 cpu, gtx 260 gpu). It then proceeded to sit in his closet for a long time for whatever reason. He now actually thinks he has a use for a desktop computer again and would like me to look into his options for bringing his gpu up to snuff as a quick upgrade.

Types of uses for the GPU are going to include SolidWorks, and some gaming of the fps, diablo 3, or sc2 variety.

I've not been paying attention to what gpus are good or on the "sweet spot" price point wise for some time now. I do see that I COULD get him a second gtx 260 to SLI for around $65 used from somewhere like ebay or amazon.

Would it be better to do that, or just have him buy himself a new single gpu solution? Assuming a price range that could swing between $65-$100 or a price range or around $200 if he is feeling like splurging.

I am not terribly concerned about "flavor" between amd/geforce one way or the other, just whatever is giving the best bang for the buck right now.

Any up to date gpu buyers guides out there at the moment? The ones I am finding on quick searches are a bit outdated.

Thank you all, as always, for the advice.

EDIT: According to the Tom's hardware buyers guide then a little comparative searching, it seems like at the lower end the options are going to be slower than the gtx 260 so at that price point he might as well get a second 260. At the $150 (ish) end the cards that beat the 260 look to be either the Radeon HD 7850 1 GB or GeForce GTX 650 Ti. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Well, if your friend was going to buy Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider anyway, they could just get a Radeon 7850 1GB and actually come in cheaper/the same as getting another GTX260.

I've seen the 7850 and gtx 660, go on sale quite often around the $150-170 range. Maybe try waiting for a deal on one of those cards.

I run a EVGA 660 SC and am quite satisfied with it's performance.they are not bad cards

The first suggestion of a 560ti is a great one. Before upgrading I was using 560tis in SLI and it worked very well for most games.

Back