Upgrading from 1GB to 2GB- Any difference?

I currently have 2: 512 pc3200 and I am thinking about buying a 1GB to fill that empty slot. Is it worth doing and will I notice any difference?

RAM amount has a definite impact on performance in high-end games, as well as in encoding, video editing, photo editing, and anything else really that uses a lot of RAM. It's worth it, I have done it on a few of my systems :).

Depending on what you do, most likely not.

If you are into large applications, or having many applications open at once you might want to upgrade.

I'd say if you have the money do it, but if you can improve something else in your system, I would go for that first.

DreamTheater36 said:
I currently have 2: 512 pc3200 and I am thinking about buying a 1GB to fill that empty slot. Is it worth doing and will I notice any difference?

If you play games like Battlefield 2 or Fear I would say it is worth it. Load times go down, can alt-tab out of the games quicker and so on.

jayjaya29 said:
Depending on what you do, most likely not.

If you are into large applications, or having many applications open at once you might want to upgrade.

I'd say if you have the money do it, but if you can improve something else in your system, I would go for that first.

i agree...2GB would be nice, but there are more important things that $$ can go to first. if your shits allready badass, get the RAM.

More RAM only helps if you're out so there could be a few odd games where you run out.

If you play MP3s in the background, keep a lot of stuff loaded like IMs then yeah you could notice a difference. Usually it'll only be noticable on really large maps in certain games etc. I've had a few of the recent games where I can exceed 1GB of mem usage on my system and am in the process of adding another 1GB right now. You typically know when you exceed you rmemory capacity because your HDs go crazy and you start lagging like crazy.

Generally speaking with current ram prices it probably couldn't hurt. Also you might even look into getting faster RAM than you currently need. As long as the sticks are the same size and rated for at least the speed you need it might not hurt. Prices between PC3200 and PC2100 might not vary all that much and you might have a use for the faster stuff down the road.

Would I be better off running 2x 1GB instead of 2x 512 and 1GB?

My specs:

AMD 64 2800+
K8T NEO MS-6702 ATX
1GB PC3200
X800 Graphics Card
Audigy 2 ZS

I currently have a Epox NF4 board running a 3200 Winchester at 240x4 (2.4 Ghz) with Corsair 512 X 2 (2,3,3,6) @200 mhz, X800 XL (440x570).

I am playing around with the Battlefield 2 demo, and was wondering what kind of improvements I will get. I am running the single player demo on this rig at 1600x1200 all settings high with 4x antialiasing. Will having 2 gig only improve load times?

I think I am going to buy BF2.

it might improve load times a wee bit, but it mostly smoothes out the gameplay at higher quality settings.

Back