• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrading an all purpose server @ home

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
1,666
hey guys I have been runnign a Dell Precision 650 the past 3 years as an all purpose server and am looking to upgrade, problem is I am a VERY tight budget. So I am looking for advce on what CPU I should get for light use....

OH and the new server will be -handbuilt so all I am really interested here is the CPU portion

First off the CPU of current Dell...

2x "Prestonia" 2.8GHz Xeons


would the Pentium e6300 provide a tad more oomph than what I have?

the main uses for this server is media storage, personal web server, and the occasional 4-8 man game server.. the e6300 would also bring a significant decrease in power usage as well... anywho I am so tired I am about to pass out so I will check back in about 9 hours... night night fellas. :cool:
 
Yeah the e6300 would probably be fine.

Though I think the way to go would be to pickup one of those 32nm clarksdale i3/i5 chips.

That's what I did when I built my new server. 2 Physical cores with 4 virtual cores (Hyper-threading) is IMO a good compromise between a dual and a quad while that and the 32nm process keeps power consumption down.
 
Back
Top