Upgrading advice? Going from AMD 555BE to Intel.

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
739
My PC had been getting BSODs on a regular basis for a while. Resetting the mobo tends to fix the issue, but once I shut down the PC the problem returns on the next boot.

I've come to the point where I just want to upgrade. Go from the AMD 555BE (4 core unlocked) to something intel based.




1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming mostly with DVD rips, photoshop, etc mixed in. But primarily gaming first
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$250-$350 for upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Ram, Mobo
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
HX620W Corsair
GTX 480
Case and other random parts, dvd burner, HDDs, etc
6) Will you be overclocking?
most likely not
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
0-3 months
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
The basics, no onboard video, doubt I'd bee crossfire or SLI
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win 7 64bt


Basically what I want is an upgrade over the 555BE, which I assume should be easy. Double the ram and of course I'd have to get a new mobo. For the CPU I just want something that wont ever bottleneck me if I upgrade my video card in the future. I've had a bit of bottleneck in a few games since my 555BE doesn't overclock very well at all.

I'd also consider a small SSD for my OS and the few games I'd want on it, but I have yet to consider this and the research I've done so far has only confused me more about SSDs. Prices, speeds, reliability, etc Is there a good low end SSD that users on [H] like?

Anyways, for the upgrade I am wondering if I should wait a bit as the new intel chips are coming, or go for something more powerful than the 2500k. That cpu has always seemed like what people base their build around for an affordable gaming PC, so I chose that.Honestly I've been out of the market for a while and it'l take some more research from me to get back into the scene.

I can buy parts from anywhere, Microcenter, Newegg, Amazon (preferable since I hav some credit there)
 
Last edited:
I'd also consider a small SSD for my OS and the few games I'd want on it, but I have yet to consider this and the research I've done so far has only confused me more about SSDs. Prices, speeds, reliability, etc Is there a good low end SSD that users on [H] like?
In General Hardware, we don't really recommend low-end SSDs considering that they're gonna bite us back in the ass later on and the fact that the cheap low-end SSDs are honestly not that much less than a quality SSD. I generally recommend the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 for budget yet very solid SSDs. For SSDs in general, stick to 128GB sized SSDs as thats it really starts giving your more bang for the buck. Drives smaller than that are often overpriced or of very low quality to the point where it's not worth getting a SSD.


Anyways, for the upgrade I am wondering if I should wait a bit as the new intel chips are coming,
Whether or not to wait is largely dependent on how tolerant you are of your current system's instability. That's really what it comes down to. If you can't stand it, upgrade. If you can, wait until March to June of 2013 when Intel new CPUs supposedly comes out,.

or go for something more powerful than the 2500k. That cpu has always seemed like what people base their build around for an affordable gaming PC, so I chose that.

Since you're not overclocking, no reason to get a K series Intel CPU. From what you've said so far, you'll be fine with the Intel Core i5 3470 at most.
 
In General Hardware, we don't really recommend low-end SSDs considering that they're gonna bite us back in the ass later on and the fact that the cheap low-end SSDs are honestly not that much less than a quality SSD. I generally recommend the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 for budget yet very solid SSDs. For SSDs in general, stick to 128GB sized SSDs as thats it really starts giving your more bang for the buck. Drives smaller than that are often overpriced or of very low quality to the point where it's not worth getting a SSD.

OK, I think I'll hold off on the SDD for a bit then. I can stand the speed of my HDDs just fine really and it looks like a cheapy SSD wont really be worth it



Whether or not to wait is largely dependent on how tolerant you are of your current system's instability. That's really what it comes down to. If you can't stand it, upgrade. If you can, wait until March to June of 2013 when Intel new CPUs supposedly comes out,.

Will the prices of the i5 cpus and other intel cpus really take a huge fall in price then? I've never paid attention to the generation changes with cpu prices.

If a current gen intel cpu wont bottleneck me in the future if I get a higher powered video card I dont see any reason for me to wait. I dont need a really high end CPU to be honest.

I'd be willing to get something cheaper on the intel side if it wont ever bottleneck me.


Since you're not overclocking, no reason to get a K series Intel CPU. From what you've said so far, you'll be fine with the Intel Core i5 3470 at most.

right now at microcenter the 2500k is $160 and the 3450 (they dont have the 3470) is $150. Is the 3470 better without overclocking compared to the 2500k not overclocked? If the price is the same why go with the 3470/3450?

Like I mentioned above I dont really need anything that great, I've lived with a 4 core 555be for a while now. If it wont bottleneck me is it reasonable to just get a cheaper CPU than even the 2500k or 3470?
 
Will the prices of the i5 cpus and other intel cpus really take a huge fall in price then?
Not really. $20 price drop at most.
If a current gen intel cpu wont bottleneck me in the future if I get a higher powered video card I dont see any reason for me to wait. I dont need a really high end CPU to be honest.

I'd be willing to get something cheaper on the intel side if it wont ever bottleneck me.
The problem with your "definitive" request is that no one can predict how much faster future GPUs will be. There's no such thing as a CPU that'll ever prevent CPU/GPU bottlenecks. The best one can say is that for the foreseeable future, no Intel Core i5 CPU will be a bottleneck for GPUs.

right now at microcenter the 2500k is $160 and the 3450 (they dont have the 3470) is $150. Is the 3470 better without overclocking compared to the 2500k not overclocked? If the price is the same why go with the 3470/3450?
You didn't mention which state you lived in. Hence I would not know whether or not you're actually within driving distance of Microcenter. Thus, I went with my non-MC and general CPU recommendations. If I had known you lived near a Microcenter, then I would not have recommended the Core i5 3470.

But just to be clear: You actually live within driving distance of Microcenter?
 
Not really. $20 price drop at most.

The problem with your "definitive" request is that no one can predict how much faster future GPUs will be. There's no such thing as a CPU that'll ever prevent CPU/GPU bottlenecks. The best one can say is that for the foreseeable future, no Intel Core i5 CPU will be a bottleneck for GPUs.

So what would you recommend if I wanted to save a little money in terms of i5's? What is considered "plenty" for gaming? I'd like this upgrade to last me a while as the PC is primarily a gaming PC.


You didn't mention which state you lived in. Hence I would not know whether or not you're actually within driving distance of Microcenter. Thus, I went with my non-MC and general CPU recommendations. If I had known you lived near a Microcenter, then I would not have recommended the Core i5 3470.

But just to be clear: You actually live within driving distance of Microcenter?

I put in my op I could buy from microcenter, but yes I live 10 min from one, Tustin. I think I'll try and wait for a combo deal there as they often have the $50 off mobo+CPU.
 
So what would you recommend if I wanted to save a little money in terms of i5's? What is considered "plenty" for gaming? I'd like this upgrade to last me a while as the PC is primarily a gaming PC.


I put in my op I could buy from microcenter, but yes I live 10 min from one, Tustin. I think I'll try and wait for a combo deal there as they often have the $50 off mobo+CPU.

Assuming that MC has a similar deal in October, I'd recommend the Core i5 3570K CPU + Z77 mobo due to the $50 off deal. You'll end up saving $20 over the 2500K route that way.
 
Assuming that MC has a similar deal in October, I'd recommend the Core i5 3570K CPU + Z77 mobo due to the $50 off deal. You'll end up saving $20 over the 2500K route that way.

ok, ill look into those. Any z77 mobo you'd recommend for a budget build?
 
Alright now to wait for a sale.

funny. i am in your exact same situation. another funny thing is i am local to tustin as well. i might wait until march. i need to find out if any info is out on the next chips intel is dropping.
 
funny. i am in your exact same situation. another funny thing is i am local to tustin as well. i might wait until march. i need to find out if any info is out on the next chips intel is dropping.

Well if Danny's info is correct in that the older gen chips wont drop that much in price I could care less. I just want a stable system and it seems like a 3570k wont bottleneck any gpu I get in the near future. I just want something reliable and affordable.

I am flexible in the CPU I get as I dont need anything really crazy. Here are the prices at microcenter.
3450: $149
2500k: $159
3570k: $189

Asus P8Z77-V LK: $145 ($125 AR, but I always calculate the up front cost for builds I've done)

2x4gb ddr3: $30-50, seems reasonable at MC. but I can get ram anywhere.

So total if MC does the $50 sale for a 3570k, z77 and 8gb ram should run me about
$350 after tax without any rebates. That was the limit for what I wanted to spend on this upgrade/fix. I I can shave a few more $ off via a lesser mobo or cpu I'd gladly consider it.

Danny mentioned that the $50 deal would make the 3570k a better option as its cheaper, but do those microcenter sales not include the 2500k? I might go for that seeing as its $30 cheaper if its part of the $50 sale. That's if they do one.

On another note I may order some ram 2x4gb now so I can test if the ram in my system is the issue. I tested the ram already and it came up no errors, but I had a bad stick before and I had no errors. I cant really confirm it was the stick, but once I RMAed the set and got the new ones my system never had any bsods. Plus I can use the 8gb in my current upgrade path anyways. Thinking of getting these, lots of high ratings and fairly cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820231314

If it is the ram I would like to take my old mobo and cpu and give it to my gf and build her a low end gaming PC. Since I'd have the base of the mobo and cpu as well as an extra HDD that would be a nice start for her. I would probably make anew thread for that build if I do it.
 
Last edited:
Danny mentioned that the $50 deal would make the 3570k a better option as its cheaper, but do those microcenter sales not include the 2500k? I might go for that seeing as its $30 cheaper if its part of the $50 sale. That's if they do one.
MC stopped including the 2500K as part of that $50 off deal about 2-3 months ago. Remember that the deals change ever so slightly ever month or so. So maybe MC might include the 2500K as part of that $50 off deal for MC's October deals but I highly doubt it considering that would effectively cannabalize sales of the Core i5 3570K.

That RAM is fine.
 
MC stopped including the 2500K as part of that $50 off deal about 2-3 months ago. Remember that the deals change ever so slightly ever month or so. So maybe MC might include the 2500K as part of that $50 off deal for MC's October deals but I highly doubt it considering that would effectively cannabalize sales of the Core i5 3570K.

That RAM is fine.

That's what I thought you meant. I can hope for the 2500k, but I'll plan for the 3750k. How often does MC do this specific sale? Can I plan for an october one?

I had already ordered the ram, but glad you saw my post. I've seen the ripjaws mentioned on here a lot over the years and the ratings were very good on newegg so I just got em. I still cant believe dr3 has gotten so cheap, when I built this PC when the shift from ddr2 to ddr3 was happening my 4gb cost twice as much as the 8gb I just ordered.
 
That's what I thought you meant. I can hope for the 2500k, but I'll plan for the 3750k. How often does MC do this specific sale? Can I plan for an october one?

MC usually does a CPU + mobo deal every month and it lasts the entire month until stock runs out. But for the specific 3570K + Z77 mobo deal, they should be doing it in October but we really won't know until Microcenter comes out with those October Microcenter deals.
 
OK, the $50 deal is in the new october ad for microcenter. Now to pick which mobo to get.

3750k + P8Z77-V LK would be around $292 (-$20 MIR)

So about $327 for the entire upgrade, not bad I guess if it does solve the instability issues. The cost would just go up if I have to replace another part and become a new PC build instead of an upgrade.

Are there any other mobos you would recommend?

These are the other "cheap" z77 mobos MC has advertised with the deal.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
ASUS P8Z77-V LX (what's the difference between this and LK?)
Asrock z77 pro4
 
From Microcenter, that Asus LK mobo is the cheapest I'd recommend. The Asus P8Z77-V LX and Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H both suffer from QC issues. I generally don't recommend AsRock due to past HardOCP reviews.
 
Ok, I got the LK and 3570k. I also got the new ram so I'll report back if the instability has ceased with the new parts in the future.
 
Back
Top