• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

upgradin video card

bmoney9

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
236
Hey everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my 6600gt. My Rig is in my sig at the moment. I was looking at getting the 4850x2. Do you guys think my PSU can handle it? I don't want to get the 4870x2 because I don't want to dump that much money into a video card and know my PSU can't handle it. I am in college and on a budget. The 4850x2 looks sick and worth it. Or should I just get one 4870?

I play WoW, COD, CS, Farcry, and soon to be Starcraft 2.

Any help is appreciated.
 
I think your PSU can handle it. I wouldn't add much more to your system than that though. I'd probably get the 4870 1GB depending on the resolution you're gaming at. If you're at 1680x1050, I'd think the 4870 is enough, but if you're at 1920x1200, you might want to look at the 4850x2.
 
yeah, it will depend on the res.... although a 4870 1gb with a decent warranty (longer than 1 year) is going to run you about $220 - $230 you may want to spend the extra on the 4850x2 for $260 - $280
 
Yeah, your PSU will be "snug" if you get either the 4870 or the 4870x2. Not much wiggle room for upgrades either way, but it shouldn't be overtaxed.

I'd say get the 4870 if money is a big concern; get the 4870x2 for slightly more future-proofing.

You also have to consider that if your resolution isn't that high, the 4870x2 would be like wasting your money, because you're paying for the ability to play at a resolution that your monitor doesn't support---by the time you save up enough money for a monitor upgrade, the graphics cards will have become better, too, so the slight premium you spend for the x2 will have not been utilized.

Also, I've heard that the next iteration of ATI cards are coming out in April. Dunno if it's true, but they might drop prices on everything if the new one does come out. Might be worth it to wait a little more?
 
There have been some pretty good prices on the 4870's already. I just got a 512mb version for $150AR with the new Stalker too. I previously had a 4850 and that was plenty for what I needed it for. This just seemed like a pretty good deal in terms of bang for the buck.
 
Yeah, the ASUS HD4870 512MB is available at the egg for about $150AR with free shipping. The 1gb version will run about $50 more, so you will have to determine if the extra memory is important for your apps (i.e., resolution).
 
Back
Top