Upgrades for am2+ mobo

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
So I'm running an 8800GTS 640, x2 4600 and 2 gigs of ram

Games like crysis, stalker clear sky (kind unplayable all around) and i know GTA 4 are gonna give me trouble.

My question

Would shelling out $325 for an amd x2 @3.1 and a nvidia 260 worth it?

Or should I try to limp along? Or ditch the 260 for a 9800GTX+?

Well im not really that familiar with amd boards, cpu's but just an upgrade to a 260 would probably solve this problem for you or you could go with a 4870 which you can find some what cheaper and would give you great performance on all games. I got a sapphire 4850 and all the new games are running great on it. if money is not a problem get the 260.

How quiet these gfx cards is important to me. I can't hear my current card, which is kinda the way I want it. I was going to try to score a 4870 and put an aftermarket heatsink but economy happened (and too many games!) and now I'd rather have a card that is fast enough and quiet that is more affordable and does not need expensive heatsink rather than a super fast card.

well i got a sapphire 4850 for 150, and well the fan control is great. Also it's pretty silent, or you could try the gigabyte 4850 which already comes with a zalman cooler and it's 159 this weekend. I think regular prices is 170 with free shipping.

well i got a sapphire 4850 for 150, and well the fan control is great. Also it's pretty silent, or you could try the gigabyte 4850 which already comes with a zalman cooler and it's 159 this weekend. I think regular prices is 170 with free shipping.

Didn't see that. Is it as fast as a 260?

Well the performance is a bit less, but still it's a hell of card a lot of reviews have put it on par with the old 260's. You'll get great frame rates on all the new games with high settings. So far i have been able to play fallout3, farcry 2, cod:WAW, dead space all with high settings and there's no slow down issue.

MSI Geforce GTX 260 for $215 upfront is a very good price right now. It's the lowest I have seen it gone.

BTW, nice LCD.

Back