Upgraded to 30" 25x16; Am i missing out on Eyefinity?

apoppin

Pre-Knowing the Pre-Knew Previously
Today i finally upgraded my SOYO 1920x1200 24" LCD to a 30" HP LP3065 and the differences are pretty amazing. The HP is a superior panel in every way - and the SOYO is pretty decent. i took some time off work to play some games and "immersion" is way up.
:cool:

However, here is my question >>> i am wondering how Eyefinity or Surround compares and i am wondering which offers the superior gaming experience.
(no, i am not getting 3 x 25x16 LCDs :p )

Is there anyone who has experience with both care to comment? i already have two 24" panels, so i *could* get one with DisplayPort and a 5000 series card; or any 24" and SLi'd GeForces. Is it worth it over playing on a single 30" LCD?

i am powering my 30" display currently with HD 4870-X3 TriFire so games like Borderlands, L4D, Wolfenstein, and all of the older games play fully maxed out. So my original worry that i didn't have enough graphics power was unfounded. However, games like Crysis and STALKER do need some details turned down. i would expect to turn even more details down at 5760x1080.

Why miss out? Just get two more 30" LCDs and rock Eyefinity anyway. :eek:

Well, letsee .. money is a concern :p
;)

And i would need at least QuadFire to run it
- 2x5970

no .. let's scale back a bit

Has anyone compared gaming on a 30 LCD at 25x16 to three 24" panels at 5760x1080
- clearly there is a LOT of width and not so much height going on

i have to plan for when i DO get money
:D

Well Kyle switched from gaming on a single 30" LCD to using 3 24" panels. That should tell you something.

A few people on the video card forum have 30x3 display setups and really the only downside to it is for gaming you need some serious horsepower to drive it ( I would say at the very least a 5870 and recommended 5970 or 5870 crossfire).

I've experienced Eyefinity in person and its amazing , at first I admit until I had seen it I thought it was a bit over hyped but having seen it now I understand the fuss. It truly is one of the biggest advancements in gaming in a long time. Up until now it was all about single monitor resolution and just making it bigger and better .. which made sense until recent times now however gamers have different needs and resolution on its own isn't enough.

3D gaming was expected to be the next big thing and so far its failed on that regard , its very buggy and touchy also requires special monitors that can run 120hz making the technology not very flexable. Some people love it but most don't see the big deal ..Eyefinity on the other than works with any 3 monitors of the same type (not sure if it works with different resolution monitors or not) and is easy to setup plus its not only useful for gaming but everyday desktop work which is a giant benefit to say the least. Driver support for eyefinity is in its infancy but its getting better every release and soon it'll be pretty rock solid.

You would be hard pressed to not be impressed by 3 30 inch displays and I think the difference is striking. I just bought my first U2410 and plan to buy 2 more as I can afford it , I can't wait to get into eyefinity gaming.

A few people on the video card forum have 30x3 display setups and really the only downside to it is for gaming you need some serious horsepower to drive it ( I would say at the very least a 5870 and recommended 5970 or 5870 crossfire).

I've experienced Eyefinity in person and its amazing , at first I admit until I had seen it I thought it was a bit over hyped but having seen it now I understand the fuss. It truly is one of the biggest advancements in gaming in a long time. Up until now it was all about single monitor resolution and just making it bigger and better .. which made sense until recent times now however gamers have different needs and resolution on its own isn't enough.

3D gaming was expected to be the next big thing and so far its failed on that regard , its very buggy and touchy also requires special monitors that can run 120hz making the technology not very flexable. Some people love it but most don't see the big deal ..Eyefinity on the other than works with any 3 monitors of the same type (not sure if it works with different resolution monitors or not) and is easy to setup plus its not only useful for gaming but everyday desktop work which is a giant benefit to say the least. Driver support for eyefinity is in its infancy but its getting better every release and soon it'll be pretty rock solid.

You would be hard pressed to not be impressed by 3 30 inch displays and I think the difference is striking. I just bought my first U2410 and plan to buy 2 more as I can afford it , I can't wait to get into eyefinity gaming.

I think Kyle uses 3 U2410's at home for his Eyefinity setup.

Well Kyle switched from gaming on a single 30" LCD to using 3 24" panels. That should tell you something.

i thought he used three 30" panels. i can certainly understand that kind of upgrade.

However, for me. i intend to keep the 30" panel. i just wondered if i should go for another 24" panel?
(i have one 19x12 and one 19x10)
--i would use the center 24" panel (19x12) as 1080 along with the two 1080 side panels

Will the +120 pixel height make much difference with the center display at 1920x1200 LCD when flanked with 1920x1080 LCDs?

3D Surround is OUT for me although i might be interested in 2D Surround; GTX280 SLi will drive it as well as GF100 SLi.

i guess the best thing for me to do would be to pick up another 24" 120 Hz 1080 LCD with DisplayPort
- that way i can keep all my options open .. eyefinity, 2d Surround, and even 3D on a single panel along with gaming on a 30" display

Last edited:
i thought he used three 30" panels. i can certainly understand that kind of upgrade.

However, for me. i intend to keep the 30" panel. i just wondered if i should go for another 24" panel?
(i have one 19x12 and one 19x10)
--i would use the center 24" panel (19x12) as 1080 along with the two 1080 side panels

Will the +120 pixel height make much difference with the center display at 1920x1200 LCD when flanked with 1920x1080 LCDs?

3D Surround is OUT for me although i might be interested in 2D Surround; GTX280 SLi will drive it as well as GF100 SLi.

i guess the best thing for me to do would be to pick up another 24" 120 Hz 1080 LCD with DisplayPort
- that way i can keep all my options open .. eyefinity, 2d Surround, and even 3D on a single panel along with gaming on a 30" display

He has put together a 3x30" Eyefinity setup on his testing bench. I've seen video of that. I think he still has the U2410's on his actual gaming rig though. I could be wrong though.

Well, in my HW dreams, i would love three 25x16 LCDs in Eyefinity or Surround and i have to say "some day"

But i was just wondering about gaming on a single 30" panel versus (the bang-for-buck) three 24" panels
- i guess i will have to try it. i will be looking for a 120MHz 1080p 24" LCD with DisplayPort. In the meantime, i am *stuck* playing at 25x16.

I have a 3008wfp with 2 2007fp's in portrait using softth and have switched back and forth from single to 3. There is no comparison to the immersion of a multi monitor setup. Unfortunately though with the lack of support for PLP setups I am waiting to purchase 3 identical monitors to utilize eyefinity due to lack of frames with softth. I will probably have to go to a 24" like yourself yet I think it is worth the trade off in size.

I think Kyle uses 3 U2410's at home for his Eyefinity setup.

Oh man , I am jealous. I can't wait to have it completed but it'll take atleast 2-3 months with the way money has been tight. I need to act when the coupons bring the price below the 450-460 range.

I really love this monitor , covers so many of my needs.

I was running a gateway 30", then I flanked it with two dell 2007fps and started using SoftTH. The benefit of triple screening over a single screen was fantastic, but since eyefinity does not support PLP setups, I picked up a third 2007fp, then sold my gateway because gateways customer support sucks the big one.

Currently I am running three dell 2007fps with the bezels stripped and it is an excellent setup, I prefer it much better to a single 30" however I still believe that a 30 flanked by two 20s is the best setup so I purchased a 3007wfp for $700 and have it on standby incase they add PLP support.

Heres my old setup
112220098260.jpg

Here is my current setup
0306201012710.jpg

He has put together a 3x30" Eyefinity setup on his testing bench. I've seen video of that. I think he still has the U2410's on his actual gaming rig though. I could be wrong though.

When he posts Eyefinity pictures it has thus far been U2410's, its logical to assume Kyle is taking pictures of what he is using.

I'm running triple U2410s and I must say it is unbelievably awesome. I love Eyefinity.

I was running a gateway 30", then I flanked it with two dell 2007fps and started using SoftTH. The benefit of triple screening over a single screen was fantastic, but since eyefinity does not support PLP setups, I picked up a third 2007fp, then sold my gateway because gateways customer support sucks the big one.

Currently I am running three dell 2007fps with the bezels stripped and it is an excellent setup, I prefer it much better to a single 30" however I still believe that a 30 flanked by two 20s is the best setup so I purchased a 3007wfp for $700 and have it on standby incase they add PLP support.

Heres my old setup
112220098260.jpg

Here is my current setup
0306201012710.jpg

Well that is good news, I was considering adding a third 2007 because there are no monitors that really appeal to me at the moment.

Heres my old setup
112220098260.jpg

Here is my current setup
0306201012710.jpg

My setup now is the same on your old setup ( PLP but I have the HP LP3065 in the middle ) I was thinking of getting another 20" and use my 30" on a different machine but I'm interested of how did you strip those bezels?

I think having huge black borders between screens completely ruins multi-screen setup for me. The only way I could do Eyefiniity is with three projectors so the image transition is borderless.

I think having huge black borders between screens completely ruins multi-screen setup for me. The only way I could do Eyefiniity is with three projectors so the image transition is borderless.

Better hope Kyle doesnt come in here.... its been said countless times that you dont see the bezels when you start to play... your eyes dont see em when your focused on the action... Its just like looking through blinds or driving a car... you mind filters out the things you "dont" need to see when focused on the "action"

Try it out and then let us know... ;) I love gaming on my triple 2007WFP (cant beat a 500$ eyefinity setup... thank god for CL and eBay)

I'm going for either a 3x30 or 20x30x20 setup later this year if ATI/Nivida lets us use different rez next gen. Having a 30" as the center monitor is important to me.

I'm going for either a 3x30 or 20x30x20 setup later this year if ATI/Nivida lets us use different rez next gen. Having a 30" as the center monitor is important to me.

Ah, there is a psychological barrier when one considers dropping a 30" monitor and going for lesser size and resolution monitors. I know when I first got my gateway xhd3000 30" I swore that I would never go under 2560x1600 resolution. I took the hard stubborn road and went thru several monitor variations, and now I find myself with triple Dell U2410s! Now I suffer from the opposite psychological effect and could never game without at least three screen widescreen goodness.

0506201017057.jpg

Today i finally upgraded my SOYO 1920x1200 24" LCD to a 30" HP LP3065 and the differences are pretty amazing. The HP is a superior panel in every way - and the SOYO is pretty decent. i took some time off work to play some games and "immersion" is way up.

However, here is my question >>> i am wondering how Eyefinity or Surround compares and i am wondering which offers the superior gaming experience.
(no, i am not getting 3 x 25x16 LCDs :p )

Is there anyone who has experience with both care to comment? i already have two 24" panels, so i *could* get one with DisplayPort and a 5000 series card; or any 24" and SLi'd GeForces. Is it worth it over playing on a single 30" LCD?

i am powering my 30" display currently with HD 4870-X3 TriFire so games like Borderlands, L4D, Wolfenstein, and all of the older games play fully maxed out. So my original worry that i didn't have enough graphics power was unfounded. However, games like Crysis and STALKER do need some details turned down. i would expect to turn even more details down at 5760x1080.

I too was in the same spot as you. I had 3 monitors running eyefinity, while its a great technology, and the bezels do not bug me, I did not like having to lower my game settings.

So I am waiting to see the refreshes of Nvidia and ATI new cards before I go back to it. And this time im going all out.

I bought one of these for my everyday monitor and im VERY impressed. Colors are great, blacks are decent and I got it for $500 shipped to by door.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005139

I plan to run these in multi-monitor gaming soon.....Now if Nvidia can release a new card im going for it (or ATI whoever has the better option).

Now that will be 1 epic Multi-monitor gaming setup :)

Back