Upgrade time!

Why only 3? BTW, you know that one of your displays is going to have screen tearing, right?

Not trying to show off but just to show you what 4 would look like water cooled in a non Z Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1672524

Nothing wrong with 3.. 3 seems speedy enough ut since i'm used to 4 cards i went with Quads. BTW with BF3 tripple fire works perfectly for me and not with Quad-fire. Someone mentioned that the last patch for BF3 broke quadfire for the game.. makes sense how i can play Karkland expansion all day long in Quadfire no prob and it will lock up either instantly or within 30 secs max on the normal BF3 maps.

Note about the screen tearing. At first everything seemed fine using 2x Accell mini DP to Active Dual Link DVI adapters for 120Hz. Then i noticed that there was a firmware update for it and decided to go for it thinking that maybe it would help fix the black screens i would get often. After flashing the adapters i now notice the screen tearing (horizontal tearing) in eyefinity landscape (6188x1080 120Hz).

Contacted the company and they told me i flashed with the same firmware that was already on the adapters. Though something seems broke now cause of that flash.. same.. no idea if there being honest or what but i see the tearing now on the desktop and not durring gaming thank god!

Could be a bad adapter who knows.. may send them in for them to check out.

Not trying to show off but just to show you what 4 would look like water cooled in a non Z Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

Nothing wrong with 3.. 3 seems speedy enough ut since i'm used to 4 cards i went with Quads. BTW with BF3 tripple fire works perfectly for me and not with Quad-fire. Someone mentioned that the last patch for BF3 broke quadfire for the game.. makes sense how i can play Karkland expansion all day long in Quadfire no prob and it will lock up either instantly or within 30 secs max on the normal BF3 maps.

Note about the screen tearing. At first everything seemed fine using 2x Accell mini DP to Active Dual Link DVI adapters for 120Hz. Then i noticed that there was a firmware update for it and decided to go for it thinking that maybe it would help fix the black screens i would get often. After flashing the adapters i now notice the screen tearing (horizontal tearing) in eyefinity landscape (6188x1080 120Hz).

Contacted the company and they told me i flashed with the same firmware that was already on the adapters. Though something seems broke now cause of that flash.. same.. no idea if there being honest or what but i see the tearing now on the desktop and not durring gaming thank god!

You'll have tearing on the screens that aren't using the same type of port as the preferred display as long as v-sync is on. In games it might be more difficult to notice, but it bothers me a lot in Milkdrop.

No no no, I dont see that as bragging, shit that is just plain [H]!!! Sorry to hear about your issues. I am using the active adapters that came with the HIS card.

Also my monitors are not being recognized at 120Hz. This was no problem with my SLI 570 but the new cards do not seem to pick them up at 120Hz... Any idea how I can force the refresh in Eyefinity?

ohhh.... very nice :D

Some tips to get rid of that flash glare (that also reveals finger prints)

turn off flash
aim bright light at a white surface away from the case (so only the reflected light is shining onto case)

and even a cellphone camera can get decent pics :D Have fun!

ohhh.... very nice :D

Some tips to get rid of that flash glare (that also reveals finger prints)

turn off flash
aim bright light at a white surface away from the case (so only the reflected light is shining onto case)

and even a cellphone camera can get decent pics :D Have fun!

Thanks for the picture tip!

No no no, I dont see that as bragging, shit that is just plain [H]!!! Sorry to hear about your issues. I am using the active adapters that came with the HIS card.

Also my monitors are not being recognized at 120Hz. This was no problem with my SLI 570 but the new cards do not seem to pick them up at 120Hz... Any idea how I can force the refresh in Eyefinity?

No prob.. you need an active mini dp to dual link DVI adapter.. The active DUAL LINK DVI is what you need to make it work at 120Hz. Single link is 60Hz.

These adapters are the ones i'm using. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030XMREG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Also make sur eyour using a Dual link DVI cable to your monitor.. If not grab these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2760&seq=1&format=2

Remember single link DVI is only up to 60Hz and Dual link DVI will work at 120hz.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh and very nice clean build there! Nice that you have a little space between the cards at least for air.

Oh and very nice clean build there! Nice that you have a little space between the cards at least for air.
How much did your GPU water blocks cost? Can you re-use them on newer cards if you upgrade in the future?

No prob.. you need an active mini dp to dual link DVI adapter.. The active DUAL LINK DVI is what you need to make it work at 120Hz. Single link is 60Hz.

These adapters are the ones i'm using. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030XMREG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Also make sur eyour using a Dual link DVI cable to your monitor.. If not grab these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2760&seq=1&format=2

Remember single link DVI is only up to 60Hz and Dual link DVI will work at 120hz.

Thanks for the info on the mini DP adapters.

Funny you mention the DVI cables cause I have those EXACT Monoprice cables.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks for the compliment on the build quality!

The PCI-E cables were in the way of the 2nd 120mm fan on the side panel of the Cosmos 2. So I mounted it on the Rail for the removable HDD rack with rubber mounting plugs.

How much did your GPU water blocks cost? Can you re-use them on newer cards if you upgrade in the future?

$122 each plus shipping. Not likely to reuse them on newer cards. Thats the part that sucks about buying full coverage video water blocks. I'm sure theres single GPU water blocks out there but you would have to see if they will fit the 7970s.. plus then you would have to come up with some custom cooling fo rthe memory and power regulators which then its just that much easier to just go with the proper full coverage block. Costs is high and in a year when you go to sell them (If you so) you'll loose like around 50% of the cost, but its the only way to get a quiet rig with the best cooling.

Thanks for the info on the mini DP adapters.

Funny you mention the DVI cables cause I have those EXACT Monoprice cables.

haha.. cool. no problem.

$122 each plus shipping. Not likely to reuse them on newer cards. Thats the part that sucks about buying full coverage video water blocks. I'm sure theres single GPU water blocks out there but you would have to see if they will fit the 7970s.. plus then you would have to come up with some custom cooling fo rthe memory and power regulators which then its just that much easier to just go with the proper full coverage block. Costs is high and in a year when you go to sell them (If you so) you'll loose like around 50% of the cost, but its the only way to get a quiet rig with the best cooling.
That's almost the price of a 5th card. I'm definitely gonna go with quad-GPU on air to fit in this case, most likely non-reference heatsinks though. Just waiting for the 6 GB cards to be released.

I am LOVING this setup. BF3 @ 5760x1080 on ultra and I have never seen anything below 68fps on 64 player maps! Avg is high 80s to 100fps! These 7970s scale AMAZINGLY!!!

Back