• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade this PC for $500!

DarkDonut

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2001
Messages
302
Pentium D 820 @ 2.8Ghz
oem mobo (Intel D945GCX AAC99321-502) i945p
4gb DDR2
GT 240 1GB


I'm trying to help my friend get the most upgrade out of his $500 for this PC. I'm thinking the best route is new CPU/Mobo/RAM. Would much rather go Intel, maybe i5 or something, but I haven't kept up with recent developments in hardware since I built my i7 system over a year ago. I'll keep researching the forum but I thought I'd throw up this post to get more direct responses!
 
If would help if you answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.
 
hi danny, i think u've helped me before :) sry i'll look at that and reply in a minute
 
1) World of Warcraft Cataclysm + normal computer use is what this will be for
2) Budget is $500 max
3) Texas
4) I'm not too sure what parts just yet, the GT240 seems a bit weak, but the single core cpu could be even worse.
5) Will be reusing most likely the case and power supply, which is 500W i believe, although if needed and within budget I could pickup a higher rated one. also vid card possibly.
6) Probably no OCing.
7) Not sure what size monitor he has but he will be using the one he already has. Let's just say 1680 X 1050.
8) I plan on helping him upgrade this PC within the next month.
9) 2 PCIe slots could be better since it would leave room for upgrading to sli/crossfire later.
10) He already has Windows 7 32 and 64 bit.
 
5) Will be reusing most likely the case and power supply, which is 500W i believe, although if needed and within budget I could pickup a higher rated one. also vid card possibly.

Find out which 500W PSU he has. This is very important. We need to know whether or not that 500W PSU can actually provide 500W or are just one of those pieces of crap that can only provide 150W. So unless you want to assume that new PSU is necessary, please find out what PSU your friend has.

Also, what case? No point in recommending parts if the case only uses 80mm fans or some odd airflow layout unsuitable for cooling modern day hardware.
 
Back
Top