• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade store bought pc?

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
I got a free desktop from someone and I am looking at ideas of what to upgrade here are some specs
pentium d 3ghz dual core CPU
2gb ddr2 667mhz ram
250gb hard drive

I don't do much on it. Browse/bs on forums, stream movies, email, facebook online shopping bill payment. I don't know what to upgrade tho. I was thinking a ssd drive or maybe I could drop a quad core in it. It's s775 so maybe a q6600 would work in it I don't know. It's a Dell dm601 btw

I was thinking maybe a 80gb SSd would be big enough if I use the stock 250gb hdd as storage for music and pics. What do you think I should upgrade? I would like to do photo video editing aswell but not with this old dual core lol...
 
More than likely that PC is not compatible with the Q6600 due to its age. Load up CPU-Z and find out which chipset that motherboard has. Also note how many RAM slots it has.

Also, unless you're planning on loading Windows 7 onto the SSD, not really worth it to install a SSD in that system if it uses XP or Vista.

EDIT: Ahh just saw your thread in General Hardware. Good chance that your PC will support the Q6600. However the Q6600 would only be a cost-effective upgrade if you can get it for $100 shipped. Any more than that, and you're better off with a new AMD quad-core build. Also, do you live near a Microcenter? I see that MC has three locations in Ohio.

Since the SSD route is effectively out, a simple hard drive upgrade will speed up the system:
$55 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
 
Last edited:
yeah.. ssd is still relatively expensive. should just go for fast hard drive and get more storage out of it.
just put in more rams if you can and you shouldnt have problem with what you want to do.
 
I live by a microcenter kinda its a 40 minute drive each way but now I have a problem lol. This thing sat in a closet for a long time. So I turned it on and it updated vista to service pack 2 and now it wont recognize the dvd drive. The drive worked earlier as I ripped pics off a dvd and put it on the pc.

The drive is OE for sure, so I dont know how to get this drive working. I wanted to burn a recovery cd and start from scratch so I can delete all the BS that came pre loaded on it and start on a fresh slate.

I need to get this thing running right before I go dropping money into it. I want to get a 500gb fast hard drive and 2 new sticks of ddr2 667mhz ram, that should really help this pc out alot but now I cant even burn a darn recovery disc lol
 
Unplug the DVD drive and plug it in another PC to rule out an OS or hardware issue.
 
I dont have another pc, I need to upgrade my sig. The shit worked fine before now it won't work at all. I just downloaded the file from the dell website for the driver and it wont install it. It pops up and says the firmware is not correct for this device.
 
In device manager this is what the name of the dvd drive is
TSSTcorp DVD+- RW TS-H653A
 
Disconnect it from the PC completely. Start up the PC, let it load fully, and then shut off the PC. Reconnect the DVD drive and boot again.

If that doesn't work, try doing a system restore.
 
I tried that and it didnt work I even tried to go into the device manager and uninstall the dvd drive hoping that when I restarted the pc windows would see it as new hard ware and then it would work but hell no it's never that easy
 
After installing the SP2 the pc is running way faster then it ws but now my darn dvd drive wont work lol. I'm tellin ya if it's not one thing it's another over here
 
Well, again roll back to pre SP2 and see if it's a SP2 related issue.
 
I am now in a chat with microsoft, im thrid in line so I am sure this is gonna take awhile. Maybe one of the ppl there can send me a file via email that will fix this as it was the update that made my drive not work anymore
 
Back
Top