Upgrade, Replace or run it til it dies...

GrumpyKuss

n00b
Upgrade or replace or let it be that is the question. Looking at my notes from the last time I was under the hood other than the yearly blow out the dust bit and replacing a fan that blew a bearing awhile back I realize that this current workstation was built roughly 5 years ago and I really haven't found I needed more.

As far as use case goes I do light to moderate development work in PHP, Python, C++, C# and occasionally other scripting languages. These days I use mostly VS Code or Sublime Text 3 depending on the project. The gaming I do seems to be limited to a really old MMO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), the odd Civ V/VI game and when it releases Balders Gate 3. Nothing to taxing graphically and I am not bothering with the latest Call of Duty or Battlefield Games as they really having been fun for me for awhile. I think my last FPS that I enjoyed was probably Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield and I recall playing a huge amount of Enemy Territory and it's followup ET: Quake Wars because of the custom maps but I digress.

At any rate on to the Hardware:

Asus H97M-E micro-ATX Board
Intel i3-4150 running at stock speeds 3.5ghz with fairly large copper cooler whose type I forget but it keeps this cpu running at 45c or under so its all good.
GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 8 gig 2x4 CL9 dual channel kit
EVGA NVidia GTX 750 Ti @ 2gig card
Crucial 256gb SATA SSD
various other SATA traditional drives
and TSSTcorp SH-S223F SATA DVD-Burner

Generic 550w PSU

Now when I built this M.2 NVMe was the new hotness and a 128gb stick was running like $500 and while that 10gb/s data rate sounded great it was just too damn pricey for it so I went with a regular SATA SSD for the build. Nothing in this is all that dated for what I am using though the MMO I am playing is upping itself to a 64-bit client and I am pondering hunting up another 8 gb DDR Dual channel kit to give me more headroom on apps since with my 2 cheapo 1080p screens I tend to keep at least one browser, discord and my journal program up nearly at all times.

My temptation is to just add 8gb of ram and call it good until something breaks and then spend $4-500 on a basic Ryzen 2600 build or whatever the existing budget gamer rig is at the time but I got to wondering if there were any good upgrades for $200 or under that would really be worth it to this existing build? I've found a matching DDR3 dual channel 8gb kit for $54 shipped but I wonder if putting in a n i5 or i7 would really be worth doing given that the upgrade would end up being around $200 for say an i5-4690K roughly. If it gets higher I suspect I would be better off building a new box which I've priced out at roughly $400 or so baring sales and other oddities.

I admit I don't feel that much of an urge to do more than throw more ram into it for a bit until something comes along that it won't handle but I don't keep an eye close enough on hardware these days to know where a good bang for the buck lays.

Any suggests would be quite welcome.

Last edited:
I really haven't found I needed more.

I think you answered your own question here. If you don't need more, then no need to spend more. Save the money for replacing something that breaks later.

Best bang for the buck upgrade is usually the CPU or GPU. If you do a lot of multi-threaded applications then a quad core with 8 logical cores will be the best route to go. If your limited on gaming those old games (doubtful) then a GPU upgrade would be best.

Realistically, leave it alone till it breaks.

^^ What he said.
Run it til it pops. Which could be another 5 years easily.

^ How's that Q9400 holding up? With today's apps?

Just to share: I've tried installing Win10 on an older 2 core Core2 a bit of a while back just to experiment since I thought an SSD alone would make Win10 usable for an older system.

Win10 pegged the CPU at 100% for a few minutes every time on bootup before calming down. :)

Actually it's holding up fine, except I can't play modern games, and modern can mean quite a few years old. ;) Even as a dedicated GoG user, I am being left behind.

Up until last year I was even doing lots of Video Encoding. People make a big deal about getting huge core count for Video encoding, but really it didn't matter. I could still surf the web with encoding running at lower priority and I would batch most of it overnight anyway. Video encoding isn't a real time activity so having it be slow isn't much of an issue.

It really helped clarify why I need a faster CPU, and that is really only for one thing: Gaming.

Recently I bought and returned a Laptop with AMD Ryzen 4c/8T APU, and RX 560X discrete GPU. Had it for about a week, and I didn't notice anything to be appreciably faster.

I only tried one old game that I regularly play (NWN), and here is the shocker. It was slower on The Ryzen/560x than it was on my Q9400/8800GT. WTH? I made sure it was running on the discrete GPU, though it hardly made a difference.

I'll probably look for an Intel/NVidia laptop for it's replacement, but need a good deal first. Though return was for display reasons (Asus uses a lot of shitty, dim, low gamut screens, only ~60% of sRGB - People really don't care about display quality I guess), and HDMI output was screwy, killed brightness/contrast of my external monitor.

It depends. I am recently forced to upgrade the major components of my main PC because newer versions of the programs that I am regularly using would no longer run properly on hardware that's more than three years old (which was what my previous Intel i7-4790K was - the CPU platform dated back more than six years, with the 4790K/Z97 combination dating back to 2014). What's worse, most of the major tech companies (both hardware and software) are following the "planned obsolescence" route: They simply don't want to support anything that's over three years old any more (for example, the drivers for the IGP in the 4th- and 5th-Generation Haswell and Broadwell Intel CPUs had already been placed into "legacy" support status back in 2018, with no more compatibility or stability fixes ever for these CPUs while only critical security patches will continue, as the last few versions of the IGP driver for these Haswell and Broadwell CPUs have been merely security-patched releases of a driver that dated all the way back to early 2016).

Last edited:
Well I threw some more ram into it and I think I will let it run until Balder's Gate 3 is about to hit and then consider an upgrade at that point. That would be one of the few programs that would be on my radar for doing so I just hope it won't be solely a Win10 setup.

At any rate thanks for the feed back folks, I do appreciate it.

Yep run it until you cant. Of note though checking out the fsft section of the forum there are 4790s from time to time sub $100.

Back