Upgrade question

First of all, i dont live in USA or Canada; im from latin america. So getting computer components is dificult.Probably i would buy a new 23" monitor 1080p , i was wondering if buying an ati hd6970 or a nvidia gtx570, i would be able to playmost games at 1920x1080p with max settings with my current pc. i would be using 1 monitor, no 3d, no 120fps, just 60fps...

my current rig:
CPU:Amd phenom 9750 quad-core(2.4ghz but im using it at 2.0ghz because an issue with a defective core, if i go up i will get the blue screen)
Mobo:asrock n68c-s ucc
GPU: ati sapphire hd5570
Ram: 2x2gb=4gb kingston 800mhz ddr2
HDD: seagate
PSU: thermaltake 650w

If my rig isnt good enought what should i upgrade, but i really need to know if with this and a new card can run almost any gamet at 1080p.

Sorry, psu: thermaltake purepower 550w, so if i buy a new gpu i would need a new psu.....:(

Yes you will need a new PSU as the Purepower series are pretty much crap. It'd be a good day if that PSU could provide 200W.

In any case, your CPU is a bit too slow for 1920x1080 gaming. However your motherboard is a bit lacking as well considering that it's a Nvidia mobo. So basically you're looking at a new CPU + mobo + RAM + PSU if you want to do that GPU upgrade.

Also what case do you have?

Yes you will need a new PSU as the Purepower series are pretty much crap. It'd be a good day if that PSU could provide 200W.

In any case, your CPU is a bit too slow for 1920x1080 gaming. However your motherboard is a bit lacking as well considering that it's a Nvidia mobo. So basically you're looking at a new CPU + mobo + RAM + PSU if you want to do that GPU upgrade.

Also what case do you have?
Aiteg :), very old, dont know model

Aiteg :), very old, dont know model

Yeah you should find some info about that case since the case is gonna dictate whether or not a new video card can fit inside of it and whether or not it'll be cooled well.

Yeah you should find some info about that case since the case is gonna dictate whether or not a new video card can fit inside of it and whether or not it'll be cooled well.
i couldnt find it,i know it fit but dont know about cooling, so if i want to upgrade my gpu, i need to upgrade everything.

if i buy a 21" crt monitor, the gpu and psu can i play at 1600x1200 85ghz with max settings?

I'm skeptical about the CPU being a bottleneck in games... I've tested a variety of CPUs over the years and during intense gaming they're rarely getting used to their potential. That said, a 5570 is definitely not going to do it for 1920x1080 @ max settings, and a 550w isn't going to cut it for a beast-mode GPU upgrade. I'd leave the mobo/cpu alone for now and just do the PSU and GPU, then go from there if more upgrades are needed.

I'm skeptical about the CPU being a bottleneck in games... I've tested a variety of CPUs over the years and during intense gaming they're rarely getting used to their potential.
That has not been my experience at all. Depending on the game, that CPU will be a major limitation on the performance in gaming. Several reviews back up my belief that CPU will be a major limitation:
Real-World Gaming CPU Comparison with 8800 GTX SLI
CPU scaling in games with dual & quad core processors with 8800Ultra
CPU Scaling With The Radeon HD4870X2
CPU Scaling Wth The GeForce GTX 280
Real World Gameplay CPU Scaling with HD4870X2 Crossfire
Real World Gameplay CPU Scaling
Bad Company 2 CPU Performance
May Power Be with You: Find the Best CPU for a Single ATI Radeon HD 5870 and ATI Radeon HD 5870 CrossFireX Configuration

Back