"upgrade path" from Asus PG279Q?

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
I've had this monitor for coming up on 3 years soon, and it has served me well minus some IPS glow, but starting to feel (unnecessarily?) an upgrade itch/looking to try something new. Looking at either the Acer Z1 321QU or LG 32GK850G, even the 34" ROG 21:9 widescreen. Not really interested in the new 4k/144hz offerings from Asus/Acer. I've never had a VA panel, curved, or wide screen (or anything above 27" for that matter), so all three of the above monitors would represent something new for me.

Or is this just silly and I should sit on what I have until something truly groundbreaking comes along? Anybody make a similar move from a PG279Q or same class of monitor?

Feel free to call me an idiot. :)

Last edited:
4k 144hz is the only current upgrade path unless you go ultra wide. There are 1440p 240hz TN panels coming out next year, but you lose the viewing angles and higher contrast. There are 200hz Ultrawide VA FALD panels coming out in Q4 if you hold out. My experience with the 4k 144hz FALD has been great so far.

If you want a ultrawide now, I would say go with the 120hz Alienware or atleast look into it.

No new 31.5" 144Hz(+) IPS on the horizon? :( I personally don't like 27" @ 1440p, too high DPI for my tastes (objects looks/feel too small, I know I know you can adjust it in Windows but you can't do the same for games afaik)

Currently on a 240Hz panel and it's lovely for a TN I have to say but yea I'd gladly go 1440p next but 31.5" and 144Hz strobing capable would be a wish of mine too but unsure if IPS will handle it without issues or not.

Wait. There are some interesting options coming later this year going into next starting around August with a new 144 HZ 43" VA panel from AUO. We should get more news about BFGD soon, with those panels going into mass production in September. And LG has their new Nano IPS panels going into mass production around December. If you want an upgrade now the PG27UQ or X27 are really the only upgrades out at the moment. Everything else would be a "sidegrade."

I just upgraded from a PG278Q to a PG27UQ.

I'm in the same boat with my PG278Q. I have no complaints about the monitor, still works great and due to no real advances in games I can still run a 980 Ti at 1440p with satisfactory framerates.

I would wait until next year when 32" versions of the 4K 144 Hz displays might become available, hopefully with a V2 of the G-Sync module they use in the 27" models so we could get things like ULMB, no fan etc. Alternatively we might get some suitably small TVs that run 4K 120 Hz and VRR. Remains to be seen if Nvidia will support it though.

Wait. IMO. (based on a ton of information overload, fence sitting ,etc.) ;)

No new 31.5" 144Hz(+) IPS on the horizon? :( I personally don't like 27" @ 1440p, too high DPI for my tastes (objects looks/feel too small, I know I know you can adjust it in Windows but you can't do the same for games afaik)

Currently on a 240Hz panel and it's lovely for a TN I have to say but yea I'd gladly go 1440p next but 31.5" and 144Hz strobing capable would be a wish of mine too but unsure if IPS will handle it without issues or not.

There's going to be a non OC 165hz version of that LG 31.5" 1440p g-sync around September.

I've been looking at the ultra wides and am considering a 34 Inch Curved Gaming Monitor (3440 x 1440) that runs @100hz. I am thinking it will be fast enough for me.

this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G5G8F...olid=2VUII35I4TY5P&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a big step up from 60 Hz but 120/144 Hz still feels noticeably smoother. I love ultrawides for desktop use but not gaming, if you want to go that route I would wait for new models with higher refresh rates.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You apparently don't know what 1080p pixel shifting is.

You really need to type less and read more. The projector I linked does use pixel shifting, but it's not a 1080p display, either. It actually looks really good.

OK but a pixel shifted not-4K 60hz projector that doesn't have the brightness to even pretend at HDR is not really an upgrade from any normal desktop monitor. Plus it sounds like the input lag is way over 50ms which is also not acceptable.

Hopefully that will support 144Hz ULMB mode, I pray it does, 120Hz would probably make me wait still. 144Hz strobing depending on the backlight settings must probably correspond to like 400-500Hz non-strobing in motion smoothness, that's how smooth it feels like. <3

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, I've got a great 27" monitor that has been perfect from the first moment I turned it on and performs and looks great. I kinda would like to move up to a 32" 1440 but am having a really hard time justifying it. I think I've decided to wait a little while and see what comes out. I know there are some VA gaming panels out now but they're not performing all that well for gaming (all I really use mine for) according to reviews. I'm also not sold on the whole 4K fad at least not for screens 32" and down. I think I'm just gonna hang onto it a little while longer and see what shakes out later this year.

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, I've got a great 27" monitor that has been perfect from the first moment I turned it on and performs and looks great. I kinda would like to move up to a 32" 1440 but am having a really hard time justifying it. I think I've decided to wait a little while and see what comes out. I know there are some VA gaming panels out now but they're not performing all that well for gaming (all I really use mine for) according to reviews. I'm also not sold on the whole 4K fad at least not for screens 32" and down. I think I'm just gonna hang onto it a little while longer and see what shakes out later this year.
LG is coming up with 1440p IPS 144Hz, you can easily check those out. I'm banging my head on the AUO M270 panel currently as I can't keep hanging around with my laggy HDTV as a monitor, trying out Eizo's QC.

Which model are you talking about? I only know about the 32GK850F freesync version coming in July.

Sorry, the one I was thinking about is scheduled for around December actually, and it looks like it's IPS.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/39.htm#panels_lgdisplay

See the LG section:

For gaming there are some exciting developments as well for high refresh rate IPS panels. The 31.5" LM315WQ1 is expected to go in to production in December 2018 and will offer a 2560 x 1440 resolution with 165Hz refresh rate. This panel also offers a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness and 98% DCi-P3 gamut thanks to the Nano IPS panel.

I really don't like VA panels, so this one sounds like it'll be nice.

Sorry, the one I was thinking about is scheduled for around December actually, and it looks like it's IPS.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/39.htm#panels_lgdisplay

See the LG section:

For gaming there are some exciting developments as well for high refresh rate IPS panels. The 31.5" LM315WQ1 is expected to go in to production in December 2018 and will offer a 2560 x 1440 resolution with 165Hz refresh rate. This panel also offers a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness and 98% DCi-P3 gamut thanks to the Nano IPS panel.

I really don't like VA panels, so this one sounds like it'll be nice.
Yeah that sounds more like it. That's only the scheduled mass production start, so it'll be 2019 before we'll see anything.

I'm more interested in the 27" option with higher PPI since 31.5" is just a stupid standard, 30.6" would've sat perfectly at 96 PPI. Or lean a bit for the crispier side at 30".

Oh lord 1440p at 31.5". You'd have to push that so far back to get a clear image you may as well get a 24" 1080p.

Oh lord 1440p at 31.5". You'd have to push that so far back to get a clear image you may as well get a 24" 1080p.
Please. I gamed on a 27" 1080p for a few years and it didn't bother me at all, and that was 80 PPI. 94 PPI is not that bad.

You guys have no idea. I'm stuck with a 42" 1080p right now because 32GK850G scanlines effed me over, 80ppi would be heavenly :D

Back