Upgrade or wait?

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,854
Hi guys I am considering upgrading my main rig in sig. So far its holding its own just fine but, the ram prices are finally not stoopid and I have a mild case of the upgrade bug. I can get 4 gigs Gskill @ 1600mhz and a decent mATX board 880g chipset for $140 with taxes (Canada Eh!)

But, I am wondering how much will change with Bulldozer etc; It sounds like I could re-use the ddr3-1600mhz ram but would the socket support my X3 720 BE which is currently unlocked & overclocked to 3.2g?
 
I'd hold out. Unless you're doing a lot of video editing, more RAM isn't gonna make much of a difference and your proc is pretty solid. Enough at least to hold you over til Bulldozer drops.
 
Apparently, yes your CPU will work with AMD's socket AM3+ motherboard:
http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1282840508

So I guess hold off on purchasing anything until those socket AM3+ motherboard come out. Though if you start seeing RAM prices climb, BUY!

Thanks for the great link Danny. Yeah good advice on the ram front. I think I will for a good 8 gig kit when sales hit and sit on it until the am3+ boards become available.

But, I have 2 systems now on the same am2+ platform. I think it would be worth it to upgrade one and sell one set, of mobo & ram while I can instead of waiting for that socket and ram to decrease in value. Thoughts? Unless Bulldozer is launching in the Spring I think this is worth it.
 
Last edited:
I'd hold out. Unless you're doing a lot of video editing, more RAM isn't gonna make much of a difference and your proc is pretty solid. Enough at least to hold you over til Bulldozer drops.

Totally agree with him wait it out.
 
Back
Top