• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade or wait till 2011

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
1,649
Can the system in my signature can get me by until 2011 you think? ( or perhaps near black Friday 2010?) I want to keep it. If I keep running my 21" Sony CRT (1600x1200) or switch to a 22" LCD,1680x1050 can it give me good frame rates in newer games still like Rage (id-tech 5) (Crysis 2) etc.. I'm not sure about any other new cutting age games coming out.

It wouldn't be able to compete if I bought a 24" (1920x1080) right? I prefer FPS games over 40FPS..
 
Should last but maybe get another hd4890 later for CF action for newer games coming out.
 
I think your rig will be fine for gaming at those resolutions until you're ready to upgrade.
 
I'd say get a new LCD and stick with the 4890. You'll be fine till winter/spring 2011 since most everyone is just making console ports for the PC.
 
You'll probably get decent frame rates @ 1920x1080. But, like other people said, I'd get an extra 4890 if you're really concerned about the frame rate @ 1920x1080. Personally, I'd just stick with the single 4890 and only consider an extra card if I were going to run games @ 2560x1600, but it's really up to you.
 
I have a similar setup on my old desktop, seems to be plenty fast enough to get me by till late next year at the very least.
 
I agree with the others, that system can support another card in Xfire if you go past 1680x1050 res. That is your best upgrade path right now unless you have some other app that can benefit from more than 2 cores.
 
if they keep releasing crappy console ports it will last until 2020 :D
 
Upgrade based on what you need, not what you think you'll need at some point in the future. See what happens with your current system, and if you find out down the line that your system isn't giving you the kind of performance you would like, then you can upgrade it at that point when it will most likely cost you less money for the same performance than it would right now.
 
I have a similar setup although with a Q9550, and I don't have immediate plans for upgrading it. You can always drop in a different video card as you go.
 
my 2 cents...

You're running a crt so you have the luxury of not being locked in to a single native resolution. Pick whatever resolution you want and keep what you have and just turn off eye candy until you hit the point where you miss the eye candy. Then just go pick up another 4890 and turn your eye candy back on. Then do that all over again except do a full system upgrade the next round.
 
Back
Top