Upgrade or SLI?

Lemagra

n00b
Debating with myself at the moment.

I am currently running a single ASUS GTX TITAN 6GB (circa 2013) which has severely degraded in value and am debating. Do I pick another one up on ebay for about $250 and run SLI, or drop the$500 - $600 for a newGTX1080.

I would like to be able to compare benchmarks for SLI TITANS to that of the 1080, but have not been able to find such numbers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrade. A new 1080 will eat a pair of old Titan's for lunch. Plus no SLI headaches and far less power/heat.
That is more or less what I was thinking, I just needed conformation. Its hard to part with I card that I bought for that much when it came out.

I am currently running a single ASUS GTX TITAN 6GB (circa 2013) which has severely degraded in value and am debating. Do I pick another one up on ebay for about $250 and run SLI, or drop the$500 - $600 for a newGTX1080.

I would like to be able to compare benchmarks for SLI TITANS to that of the 1080, but have not been able to find such numbers.

If you need to upgrade /now now/ then that's a thing.

Once Vega comes out and things balance out some, you're likely to see 1080's hitting the 400$ sale point again.

Yup I'm getting a 1080 Ti to replace my 980 Ti's. Not enough support and you don't get 100% utilization out of the 2nd card anyway. Maybe 30-50%

Only the most determined or desperate people SLI nowadays. Upgrade to best single card whenever possible :D

Lemagra,

I have a few comments that you can read below. But upfront you didn't list what kind of display setup you have, or what the purpose of the cards will be. Also new cards are coming out soon, so if you can wait a bit, that might be wise, even if only to get better deals on cards.

Comments:

I assume these are the original Titan cards? I still have 2 of them sitting in storage right now since I upgraded to 2xTitan Xp not long ago. I would say the question of upgrading really comes down to what you are doing and whether you are actually seeing deprecated performance. My 2 Titans SLI handled pretty much anything on 2560x1440 with no real problems. I upgraded to the newer ones when I moved to 4k though.

SLI vs Single - Single is almost always going to win out here. I do SLI for the games that it works for, then the rest of the time use the cards for separate purposes. My project at work happened to do a lot of work with Titans so it was worth my investment. However, I would normally suggest a single solution card with the most VRAM you can get. It will work better in most cases, especially because SLI/Xfire has become a pain to support.

As for the card, I would go 1080 unless you are moving to 4k, then perhaps I might spring for the Ti. It will be even better if you wait until the new card drops and then make a decision, if nothing else, you should get a better deal on the 1080s.

SLI can be OK in some cases, but not if you have an ancient card. Better to sell it for what you can and get something modern.

I always say go with the most powerful single card you can get. Most games don't optimize for SLI

If those OG Titans are selling for $250, I don't know why you haven't sold it already.

I upgraded from 3-way SLI Titan to 1 1080 and the difference is night and day, plus I have yet to run into any SLI issue. No brainer here.

You guys complain about sli. I have been running sli for almost 8 years now and never a problem because of sli. This is with 3 different pc's. And I run 3 - monitors.

Back