• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade or Sidegrade for FX-6350?

Xa3phod

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
170
Have a FX-6350 teamed with a GTX1060 and the thing is super slow in games. I know the IPC is not great with the FX chips. I've been seeing a lot of videos with people Overclocking the X5670. They are pretty cheap, would this be a performance upgrade path? I can't recall if the X5670 is based on the Sandy Bridge, but if it is, it would be faster than a FX anyways and be more on par with a 3770K or something like that?

Let me know.

Thanks

p.s. I love buying used stuff and building new computers anyway, so that isn't an issue.
 
The X5670 is not a Sandy Bridge chip. It's a Westmere-EP chip.

Therefore it would most likely be a side-grade, but a slight upgrade as well.
 
I know you can get those chips pretty cheap but what about a mb? Finding one that has a good chance of actually being a working board and that's not gonna up and die anytime soon is what usually gets expensive when trying to build using old chips like this. X5670 gets about 8000 CPU Passmark score and 3770K about 9500 so not on par with each other. The FX-6350 gets about 7000. These are total raw numbers of course, but used just for some basic comparison.

Personally I would avoid it and go a different route unless you were getting a known working chip and mb really cheap like a hundo.
 
Thanks for the replies. Someone offered me a Rampage 3 formula and a E5530 for $130. Worth it? Or am I better off getting a Ryzen 3 and a cheap mobo for around the same price. It's just for games and office stuff. Very rarely I may do some rendering, but rarely.
 
I would go with a Ryzen. Its going to be faster plus have a warranty. Then, in the near future if you need something more you have the option of going with a much faster processor.
 
Ok thanks guys. Doesn't the DDR4 make it super expensive though? I got tons of DDR3 sitting around. Well, I figure 8 gigs is enough for now.
Ryzen 3 1200?
 
True, 8 gigs of DDR4 would about dbl the price which sucks. Eventually you have to make the move to DDR4 though. 8GB fine to start out with.
Should be some decent BF deals though.
 
Just did a test build on PCpartPicker. $220.00 US for CPU/Mobo/Ram. That's $100 more than the X58 build. Still worth it?
I already have the SSD/HDD/GPU/PSU/RAM/Case if I went X58.
 
I had two X58 Sabertooth boards and both of them ran X5660's at 200 Bclk which netted me 4.2Ghz. I don't see any reason why a Rampage board wouldn't do the same. At 4.2Ghz, a 6C/12T Xeon is no slouch even if it is from 2010. Plus, I had a lot more fun playing around with the overclock. I picked up the X5660 on ebay for $19. I wouldn't use the E5530.

Personally, I'd get the X58 setup over a Ryzen 3 1200. If you were going to swing for a Ryzen 5 1600, then yes, that would be better.
 
Just did a test build on PCpartPicker. $220.00 US for CPU/Mobo/Ram. That's $100 more than the X58 build. Still worth it?
I already have the SSD/HDD/GPU/PSU/RAM/Case if I went X58.

For a faster CPU, warranty and the ability to upgrade to an even faster CPU later yes it's worth it. Even overclocked the AMD CPU is still a better buy.
 
Back
Top