Upgrade or Replace?

apim

Weaksauce
I'm trying to determine if I need to replace my current machine with a new one or whether I could upgrade a component (most likely my RAM) and gain a lot of performance. I'm trying to avoid purchasing more RAM unless it's going to provide significant performance improvements.

Current machine:
Windows XP 32-bit
Asus K8N mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0GHz processor
512mb of RAM
RADEON 9200 PRO AGP graphics card
3ware 8506-2 RAID Card with 2x 7200RPM HDDs running in RAID1

If current machine cannot be improved significantly, below are the bullet points for a new computer.
1) Computer will be used for basic web browsing, email & Microsoft Word
2) Budget: Prefer to stay under $500.
3) Location: USA>Florida
4) Part's needed is unknown. I feel my current machine is fast enough to do the job but likely has a bottle neck in the RAM... not really sure if that's the case or not though and was hoping you guys could tell me. Otherwise, I would need new mobo, cpu, ram, psu, cd rom, hdd/ssd
5) I'd probably be re-using my graphics card as I'd convert the old machine over to a pfsense box that wouldn't require a graphics card. Current card: RADEON 9200 PRO AGP (may be easier to find mobo with onboard DVI or find a new graphics card than to try and find a mobo with AGP). I'll also be reusing my 3ware RAID controller and 2x 7200RPM HDDs running in RAID1. I'm open to SSD for OS Drive if necessary.
6) Won't be OCing
7) Max monitor resolution: 1920x1080
8) Plan on buying PC ASAP
9) No special features required for mobo
10) I currently have Windows XP Pro 32-bit running on my current machine, but could upgrade to Windows 7 64bit if it'd help.

Have you tried putting more ram in it? It's DDR2 i'm assuming you could find it for next to nothing.

I personally would replace, as I replaced a similar machine 3 or 4 computers ago. Lots of threads here on how to get the parts for a cheap PC. You probably shouldn't worry about keeping that graphics card, I think you can outperform it for $15.

I'm trying to determine if I need to replace my current machine with a new one or whether I could upgrade a component (most likely my RAM) and gain a lot of performance. I'm trying to avoid purchasing more RAM unless it's going to provide significant performance improvements.
Get a new PC. That system is just too old to waste money upgrading. You'd also need a new case if your current case is as old as the rest of your system. If you do decide to do a new system, let us know.

Have you tried putting more ram in it? It's DDR2 i'm assuming you could find it for next to nothing.
It's a DDR1 based system, not DDR2. Neither RAM are actually really really cheap, even with used pricing.

Dear lord, how have you been computing all these years? Then again, if you're just browsing the web then don't bother upgrading unless the computer dies.

What do you do with it? Maybe get a laptop? Being portable is nice. I don't see upgrading your current system you spend more then it's worth. You can buy a used system or build one under $500.

Ok, with all the advice given thus far, it seems apparent that the system needs to be replaced. I will select a case, but need advise with the rest. Please let me know what system to build per the specs below.

P.S.: For all of those wondering how I made it this long on that system... it isn't my system, it is my mom's and she never said anything about how slow it was but I just recently noticed how horribly slow it was and decided to do something about it :)

1) Computer will be used for basic web browsing, email & Microsoft Word
2) Budget: Prefer to stay under $500.
3) Location: USA>Florida
4) Part's needed: new mobo, cpu+fan, ram, psu, cd rom, hdd/ssd, graphics card
5) I'll also be reusing my 3ware RAID controller and 2x 7200RPM HDDs running in RAID1. I'm open to SSD for OS Drive if necessary.
6) Won't be OCing
7) Max monitor resolution: 1920x1080
8) Plan on buying PC ASAP
9) No special features required for mobo other than PCI slot for 3ware RAID Card
10) Windows 7 64bit for OS (I already have a valid license)
11) I would prefer to order from Amazon but am open to Newegg. I won't order from anywhere other than those 2 sites.

I would look at possibly getting a laptop, you can get so many for under $500 that can do what she needs.

I'd look for cpu/mobo combos or barebones kits to minimize cost. Compare what you can find using cpubenchmark.net and finding the cpu on the list - more passmark score is better.

I would replace those old hard drives, since I'm guessing they are as old as the CPU.

Replace if you can.

But if you really want to upgrade, 2-4gb of memory would be the most affective upgrade, closely followed by a SSD. You can probably find some DDR1 for pretty cheap. Just about any newish SSD would easily max out that SATA bus you're running.

I'm all for squeezing life out of old computers, but that hardware is pretty dated. I pretty much throw out anything that isn't dual core and 64bit nowadays.

I want a desktop for her. No need for a laptop... I also want the ability to install my 3ware raid card.

This is definitely pretty compelling. I was hoping to get an SSD. Am I better off going with this deal, selling the HDD and replacing the SSD or finding a different system that has an SSD already included? I'm not opposed to building the machine either.

If you want/need an SSD keep the HDD and add an SSD - regardless of not using/needing that space now, maybe down the road she will decide to use the computer for more things since its faster.

But, why does she need an SSD? Performance? reliability?

If its data reliability, just get some cloud storage, set up auto back ups of her documents librarires. tell her to make sure to put important stuff there. (family photos, important documents, etc)

I don't recommend going with falkenbd's recommendations since the PSU and case are both pretty shitty. If I was building a computer for my mom, I'd go with something a bit higher quality and better built:
$115 - Intel Core i3-4130 CPU
$81 - ASRock H87M Pro4 Intel H87 mATX Motherboard
$64 - Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$83 - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$50 - Corsair CX500 500W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
---------
Total: $464 shipped.

Notes:
- The onboard video is more than enough for your mom's needs.
- Her usage mostly involve single-threaded applications. As such, she's better with an Intel platform since Intel CPUs have far better single threaded performance. Not to mention significantly lower heat.
- The Corsair PSU is of better quality than that Kingston. The fact that the Kingston has a red voltage switch on the back is a dead give-away that it's either of extremely low quality, of old age, or both.
- The NZXT case has an extra 140mm fan and has slightly more room behind the motherboard tray for cable management. All of that combined means that the NZXT case will have better cooling.
- Got a solid SSD in there.

I would just ditch the 3Ware RAID card. It's PCI so it's going to be slower than the onboard RAID on most modern motherboards.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just as a fun alternative build suggestion:

$180 - Intel NUC i3-3217U
$75 - G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMMs
$120 - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB mSATA SSD
$15 - Intel WiFi/Bluetooth mini-PCIe adapter
$7 - Power cord for Intel NUC power brick
----
Total (minus shipping/taxes): $397

I got a dual Netburst(Irwindale) Xeon 3.8ghz with 8gb of RAM you can have.:p

Back