sircuddles
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 10, 2011
- Messages
- 142
I'm looking to upgrade my PC in line with the release of BF3, so sometime before October. I've been out of the hardware loop for some time now and am just looking for some general advice.
I'm currently using a x3 720, not unlocked, on a Gigabyte MA-770 UD3 with 4GB of RAM and a Sapphire 4890 OC. My budget is around $700, but can be flexible. With what I've gathered in the last day or two of reading, the highest performance option I have is an x6 1055 or 1090, and a 6970 or 580. The 580 seems to perform slightly better, although at a higher cost, so I was going to go with that. My x3 does OC to about 3 Ghz, but isn't entirely stable (can't encode a video, for example), although I don't think it's ever crashed in a game. The 4890 OC can't budge any higher without artifacts, so it stays stock (in this case still OC'd). I'll also be grabbing another 4GB of RAM, but since it's cheap I'm not really counting it in the price.
I'm comfortable OCing what I get, although I seem to have pretty bad luck both in the CPU and GPU department. The last two cards and CPU's I've owned haven't given me a ton of OC room. Not interested in getting insane cooling, so it'd have to be on air.
I was going to do it now, but since BF3 isn't out until October, should I wait? Is there a chance prices will drop before then? I don't think anything new that I'll be willing to buy will hit by October, but price drops would be welcomed. Thoughts?
I'm currently using a x3 720, not unlocked, on a Gigabyte MA-770 UD3 with 4GB of RAM and a Sapphire 4890 OC. My budget is around $700, but can be flexible. With what I've gathered in the last day or two of reading, the highest performance option I have is an x6 1055 or 1090, and a 6970 or 580. The 580 seems to perform slightly better, although at a higher cost, so I was going to go with that. My x3 does OC to about 3 Ghz, but isn't entirely stable (can't encode a video, for example), although I don't think it's ever crashed in a game. The 4890 OC can't budge any higher without artifacts, so it stays stock (in this case still OC'd). I'll also be grabbing another 4GB of RAM, but since it's cheap I'm not really counting it in the price.
I'm comfortable OCing what I get, although I seem to have pretty bad luck both in the CPU and GPU department. The last two cards and CPU's I've owned haven't given me a ton of OC room. Not interested in getting insane cooling, so it'd have to be on air.
I was going to do it now, but since BF3 isn't out until October, should I wait? Is there a chance prices will drop before then? I don't think anything new that I'll be willing to buy will hit by October, but price drops would be welcomed. Thoughts?