• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade my gaming/development PC?

Joined
Nov 19, 2009
Messages
30
Hi folks

I'm currently in a state of indecision.

I'm running a Q9550, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 8GB of some memory, 5870 1GB, 120GB SSD + 6 TB of other drives, 650W PSU (mod82 rings a bell), Dell 3008WFP + 22" LG. W7 Ultimate. Corsair H50-1 cooler.

I mainly play WoW (usually two clients), develop in VS2010, SQL Server Express...possibly run a virtual machine with "some" server software on (as yet undecided, VMWare probably).

I run WoW (usually two and maybe three clients) in a window 1900x1200ish (have recently gone back down to 1600ishx1050ish to see what performance is like). Basically it's struggling on "low" settings. Very frustrating. Clean install done when I got my SSD about a month ago. I'm concerned that running 2560x1600 on my main monitor (even though it's not full of gaming windows) is pushing things. Also, I occasionally (often) multibox on the same PC which also causes lots of FPS loss.

Sooo...I have the money to fully rebuild, but I just think it may be overkill for my needs. If I were to upgrade part of my machine, what should it be?

Obviously the first thing is a new graphics card...GTX580 maybe or wait for 69xx? or wait for the AMD offering soon. If I change the CPU (i7-950), I'm looking at a bill for a new mobo (sabretooth) + new memory (probably 12GB of tri channel). Neither option is cheap.

I've never tried overclocking, always too scared.

What would you recommend? Thank you in advance.
 
You don't need a new CPU at all. The Q9550 is just fine, even at stock though even better OC'd.

You basically need to upgrade the GPU. Pretty much the fastest GPU you can get.
 
Back
Top