• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade in progress, seeking advice

sushicide

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
205
Hello all, came across some extra funds recently, so I've decided to update my 4-year old system...been reading the forums quite a bit but still have some questions since I was out of the loop for a while

Answers for the Q&A:
1) PC will be a 24/7 box mainly for DX10/11 gaming @ 1680x1050, along with common daily tasks, but no serious graphic/data processing.

2) Currently I have over $1000 set aside for this project, not a hardcore gamer so no need the very top of the line stuff, but if it's worth the performance boost to break a bottleneck, I have no problem spending extra.

3) I do not live near Fry's, Microcenter or any other computer B&M store; I will most likely be ordering the parts from the Egg, Tiger or other online retailers in the next two weeks.

4) Will be reusing my mid-ATX case, x-fi sound card, SSD boot drive, 2 SATA storage drives, DVD-RAM drive, 22" monitor, mouse/KB & other peripherals.

5) Would like to attempt moderate overclocking, but it's been a while since I messed with this, gonna have to search for guides.

6) Addtional features - USB3/SATA3 is a plus, doubt I'll make full use of them now, but you never know; No plans on having SLI/Crossfire.


----------------------
Already bought these since they were on sale:

CPU : i5-760 $171
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115067

GPU : Gigabyte GTX470 $272 -$30MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125320
----------------------

Additional Parts required:

Mobo : Gigabyte P55A-UD3 $130 -$10MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128412
The "UD3P" is the same thing but better onboard sound?

Also was looking at ASUS P7P55D-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131620
and MSI P55A-GD65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130291
How do these compare? Which one has better bundled software?

RAM : Gskill DDR3 1600 2x2GB $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-193-_-Product
Seems to be the most popular choice, the only difference w/ the RipJaw series are the heatspreaders?
I tend to have several tabs of Chrome open at all times while I play and they eat up alot of memory, is 4GB still more than enough?

PSU : Coolermaster Silent Pro M600 Watt $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-036-_-Product
Should be enough juice for this build? Too bad I missed the Corsair TX650 sale last week.

Cooler : Corsair H50 $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181010
Honestly I picked this out of curiosity because of how much people talk about it, while it's no replacement for monstrous air coolers, I don't think a i5-760 would run too hot @3.4~3.7GHz to cause trouble?
----------------------

Total comes out to $808 -$40MIR, not bad at all...I can probably use the leftover money for a bigger SSD or monitor later this year.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for reading.
 
Last edited:
Additional questions:
- When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- What mATX case do you have?

Anyway onto your selection:

- The UD3P is the same as the UD3 but with eSATA ports and support for this feature:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/04/gigabyte-mobo-lets-you-hide-files-using-you/1

So for many people, the UD3 will be just fine.

- I would rank the Asus as higher quality than the MSI. And better priced too. As for bundled software, I can't comment on that since I haven't used bundled software in quite a long time.

- The Ripjaws can supposedly OC higher than DDR3 1600. With that said, all you need is DDR3 1600 speeds for a pretty high OC with the i5 760. So yeah, that G.Skill set you chose should be fine. Get 4GB of RAM now, then add more RAM if necessary.

- PSU wise, that's not a good choice for the money. It only has 40A on the +12V rail. For the same exact price as that Coolermaster, you can get this:
$70 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU

The Antec has 48A on the +12V rail which means that it can support more power consuming hardware than the Coolermaster. SO yeah, unless that Coolermaster is $50, don't bother with it.
 
- I plan on finish ordering the rest of the parts in the next two weeks
- Right now I have the first gen CM690 (I meant mid tower instead of m-ATX as in micro atx)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ooh, didn't notice that on the PSU...is there another modular option you'd recommend? Right now the bottom of my case is a wirey mess because I have trouble positioning a few power cables.
 
Ooh, didn't notice that on the PSU...is there another modular option you'd recommend? Right now the bottom of my case is a wirey mess because I have trouble positioning a few power cables.

Unfortunately, you will have to increase your budget if you want a worthwhile modular PSU. The least expensive worthwhile modular PSU costs more than $100.
 
Ooh, didn't notice that on the PSU...is there another modular option you'd recommend? Right now the bottom of my case is a wirey mess because I have trouble positioning a few power cables.

Well it is gonna cost a bit more but this is probably the cheapest but still quality modular PSU that I'll recommend without reservation:
$110 - Silverstone DA700 700W Modular PSU
 
Back
Top