Upgrade from PhenomII X6 1045 to ?

Yeah kinda surprised at 4.1 on a water cooked rig too and still getting 51C. That's basically stock performance. I rarely get into the 50's while gaming with my setup and an AIO cooker at 4.8 GHz. Might need to look into that because it looks like you've got some issues somewhere.

yeah i'm a little surprised it runs so hot. Room temp is around 23C. Its a little cooler with fans oriented for intake flow but i'm still hitting ~55C once the gpu's heat up the inside. My original plan of intake at the bottom/front and exhaust at the top/rear didnt work as well.

Case: CFI Taiji full tower
Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

Intake Fans: 4 x 120mm intake at bottom/front of case. 2 x 120mm on radiator top/rear of case.
Exhaust Fans: 1 x 140mm exhaust at back. GPU's and PSU.

Reason not to upgrade? Isn't dx12 half a year away at best?

In all fairness, I doubt that any games and applications will be released that will render an AMD FX CPU as useless prior to DX12 emerging.

ManOfGod has a very valid point: DX12 will breathe new life into existing PCs, regardless of the hardware brands and models inside...and it's not going to be a long wait for that to happen.

ManOfGod has a very valid point: DX12 will breathe new life into existing PCs, regardless of the hardware brands and models inside...and it's not going to be a long wait for that to happen.

Well, I know that DX12 incorporates DX10 and DX11 functionality, but do titles not expressly written for DX12 still benefit from the reduced overhead?

Because it might be a little while if we had to wait for Titles written for DX12.

IMHO, the goal of the reduced overhead is not so much for us enthusiasts and our desktops which are going to have amply CPU cycles anyway, but rather for the sub 25W TDP low power parts, so that you can improve running a game on your Surface Pro :p

Will DX12 also improve Intel as well? If so, it seems like a moot point, pointing out DX12 is going to improve Bulldozer...?

Zarathustra[H];1041532879 said:
Well, I know that DX12 incorporates DX10 and DX11 functionality, but do titles not expressly written for DX12 still benefit from the reduced overhead?

Because it might be a little while if we had to wait for Titles written for DX12.

IMHO, the goal of the reduced overhead is not so much for us enthusiasts and our desktops which are going to have amply CPU cycles anyway, but rather for the sub 25W TDP low power parts, so that you can improve running a game on your Surface Pro :p

No, it will not improve non-DX12 games and applications. Only those written to utilize DX12.

Aside from low-power parts getting a benefit, that same benefit will translate onto strong desktop parts, as well. I'm looking forward to a "free performance upgrade" for my existing gaming desktop with DX12 titles.

Will DX12 also improve Intel as well? If so, it seems like a moot point, pointing out DX12 is going to improve Bulldozer...?

Of course...all DX12 compatible hardware will get a boost.

Aside from low-power parts getting a benefit, that same benefit will translate onto strong desktop parts, as well. I'm looking forward to a "free performance upgrade" for my existing gaming desktop with DX12 titles.

Of course...all DX12 compatible hardware will get a boost.

From my reading, yes, all system will see reduced CPU usage with DX12.

Only on systems that are CPU limited - however - will this result in improved performance.

Dx12 only helps in Dx12 compatible games...

So far any frostbite 3 engine game will have Mantle so that is something else to think about.
But you touched on a nerve MS needs to make DX12 something special and force developers to use it.

So far any frostbite 3 engine game will have Mantle so that is something else to think about.
But you touched on a nerve MS needs to make DX12 something special and force developers to use it.

When it is finally released i would expect it to get picked up provided it does not have the issues mantle is having vs dx11 right now mantle is just as finicky as crossfire in games relies heavily on if amd can put out decent drivers. Dx11 and 12 does not rely so heavily on driver quality.

Back