Upgrade from onboard

reaper7534!

[H]Lite
My board currently has Realtek ALC1200 and would like to know if I will see any appreciable difference going to a dedicated soundcard ? I really only play games and listen to some music encoded in flac. If there is something that woudl be a upgrade for my scenario, which card would you recommend ?

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I am guessing you are using headphone or analog output? If you want an internal card, the AIM SC808 is a killer card for $100 on ebay from Japanese sellers. I've not messed with USB/outboard sound cards much.

reaper7534!

[H]Lite
I am guessing you are using headphone or analog output? If you want an internal card, the AIM SC808 is a killer card for $100 on ebay from Japanese sellers. I've not messed with USB/outboard sound cards much.
I'm using the output for my headphone from a Samson G Track Pro. My old Z170 onboard just couldn't push enough volume, I haven't tried the onboard I have no just yet.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using the output for my headphone from a Samson G Track Pro. My old Z170 onboard just couldn't push enough volume, I haven't tried the onboard I have no just yet.
The SC808 has a pretty powerful output, with my DT990 Pro and HD600s it can pump some serious volume lol. It uses cmedia chip so has the XEAR software.

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
For headphones, just get decent USB DAC.
For actual >2.0 speakers, get an HDMI receiver.

Forget about any internal cards.

thesmokingman

[H]ardness Supreme
I use a Filo K5 Pro and pair it with a Mica OriGain when I want to use speakers. The OriGain has a preamp out which I then connect my AJ sub with. The K5 Pro is the BEST value in for a DAC of that quality.